Lost or stolen passport replacement?

zitsky

Has anyone used a lost or stolen passport replacement service, possibly through their trip insurance?  How does it work, because you may not have all the documents you need (Social Security Card, Birth certificate) and you may have to get things like another passport photo somewhere?

If you are lucky enough to find next day service, do you mail out in Port A and receive back in Port B?

Here is a link with the information:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/after/lost-stolen.html

Also go to the FAQ page: 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/lost-stolen-passport-abroad.html

It tells you what you need to do -- get a photo, and have a copy of your passport.  If it happens, you won't be the first person that had it happen.

That being said, in most places, when you are on a cruise, you do not have your passport -- in most places the ship keeps your passport.  When I am off the ship, I often carry a photocopy of the page with my picture and all of the identifying information including the passport number. 

21 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I think the OP is asking what to do if the loss/theft occurs in the middle of a trip, outside the US.  EM

Yes.

Like most people I keep paper or electronic copies of passport, ssn, driver's license.  But are these documents accepted?  

Has someone gone through the process of replacing a passport overseas?

8 hours ago, idraconis said:

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

Has anyone used a lost or stolen passport replacement service, possibly through their trip insurance?  How does it work, because you may not have all the documents you need (Social Security Card, Birth certificate) and you may have to get things like another passport photo somewhere?

If you are lucky enough to find next day service, do you mail out in Port A and receive back in Port B?

Both my mother & I have lost our passports while traveling (not the same trip).

We had to go to the nearest US embassy and apply for a replacement.  In my case, I was extremely lucky, as I was traveling with my mother (who still had her passport), and we lived at the same place.  She could vouch for me.  If I was on my own, they would have had to send back to the US, to people that I would supply the names of to verify that there was, indeed, a person with my name who was traveling in Europe at that time, before they would issue the passport, taking up to 5-7 days.  As it was, I had my replacement in hand within 2 days.

Happily, when my mother's passport was lifted (yes, we know hers was stolen), I was able to vouch for her.  She, also had her replacement in hand within 2 days.

You don't send info back to the US yourself, with proper documents, like applying for a passport.  However, if you have the proper documents, it could help.  I believe a copy of your passport may help, but it's not guaranteed.  Most embassies have names of places you can get a passport taken in this case.

Edited by Shmoo here

Somehow I know there is a reason I posted the information from the State Department for people who lose their passports overseas, but I am uncertain that it has been read.  The two links I posted earlier tell you everything you need to know, have and do to get a replacement when you lose one overseas.  Like I said, if it happens to you, you won't be the first ones to have it happen.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

We had to go to the nearest US embassy and apply for a replacement.  In my case, I was extremely lucky, as I was traveling with my mother (who still had her passport), and we lived at the same place.  She could vouch for me.  If I was on my own, they would have had to send back to the US, to people that I would supply the names of to verify that there was, indeed, a person with my name who was traveling in Europe at that time, before they would issue the passport, taking up to 5-7 days.  As it was, I had my replacement in hand within 2 days.

Happily, when my mother's passport was lifted (yes, we know hers was stolen), I was able to vouch for her.  She, also had her replacement in hand within 2 days.

You don't send info back to the US yourself, with proper documents, like applying for a passport.  However, if you have the proper documents, it could help.  I believe a copy of your passport may help, but it's not guaranteed.  Most embassies have names of places you can get a passport taken in this case.

The State Department website says that you need to provide proof of citizenship and that a copy of your passport meets that requirement. I store mine on my phone and cloud so that it can be printed down. A passport photo is also a requirement and if one is worried about it they could have a passport photo taken prior to departure so they don't have to worry about trying to find a place in a foreign port to do so. 

Outside almost every US Embassy or Consulate there are several vendors that do passport (actually most visa) photos.

And when you arrive at the Embassy or Consulate, tell the guard you are there for American Citizen Services, not for a visa.  Most of them have long lines for visa applicants.  And if this in an emergency replacement, it might be best to call first so they know you are coming and will take you.

On 9/20/2019 at 1:56 AM, Shmoo here said:

This must have happened a long time ago. Now, in our more digital age, they can often verify you through the records of your prior passport in their systems, and emergency passports can be issued same-day as long as there are no major problems. As someone who used to help people with these sorts of emergencies, the biggest hang up really seems to be the passport picture. I'm not QUITE to the point of traveling with an extra set of passport pics just in case, but I won't say the thought hasn't occurred to me. 

• Like 1

Obtaining an "Emergency Passport"  (which is what you need if you lose your passport when out of the USA) can be a very trying process and take several days.  The Emergency replacement is generally issued by a US Consulate or Embassy and only good for 1 year (you later obtain a normal Passport once you return home).  The problem is that US Consulates/Embassies can be quite distant from your location (hundreds of miles) and do not generally do passport replacement on weekends or holidays.  If you show-up with decent ID and Passport Photos it will help expedite the process.  If you only have limited ID (this often happens when there has been a theft) the Consulate staff will find a solution :).  But woe to the person that loses (or has stolen) their Passport on or near a weekend (especially holiday weekends) since they will generally have to remain in that country until a normal business day (not to mention also needing to get themselves to a city that has a Consulate).  Speaking of "Emergency Passports" (what you get when you replace a Passport outside the USA) they are not universally accepted (which is why you need to replace them with a regular Passport when you get home).  For example, some countries such as France will not normally allow an American to enter their country if all they have is an Emergency Passport.  That is because the Emergency Passport document lacks the encrypted chip that is now in regular Passports.

I once had to replace a lost Passport, but it was within the USA and we were not taking a trip in the near future.  The process was relatively straightforward and involved filling out a form, getting new photos, and (at the time) presenting one's self at a US Post Office (where they can accept new Passport applications) to have my identity verified by an authorized official.   There is no need to pay any private agency as the info is on the Department of State website (already mentioned in a prior post).   

Hank

23 hours ago, zitsky said:

So if on a cruise you have to choose to ignore the ship's advice about taking a passport with you.

Will the crew normally check if you are carrying a passport? 

I have had the passport take for cruise before, but NEVER had them check as I disembarked in some foreign land.

I've also made countless trips to country that claims you must have passport on you.  Never had them check, nor my hotel bellman ( who knows me ) check to see if I had it when I leave either.   CC checkout and check-in everytime.

If you want to take your passport ashore,  that is your right. No one will stop you. On some cruises your passport is collected at embarkation and held by the ship's  documentation officer. This is to facilitate immigration checks before entering a new country's  port. Even in this situation you merely need to go to Guest Relations and request it before disembarking for the day. No one on the ship will check whether or not you are carrying your passport ashore. But in this case you would be required to return it when you return to the ship. 

If carrying your passport ashore is required by the country of entry, the ship will still not check to see you are in fact carrying it. They will publish the necessary documents needed to go ashore in the daily, and it's your responsibility to have them with you.  Local authorities may or may not be checking required IDs at the port.

On 9/27/2019 at 2:46 PM, zitsky said:

So if on a cruise you have to choose to ignore the ship's advice about taking a passport with you.

Will the crew normally check if you are carrying a passport? 

Depending on the country, the ship may recommend leaving your passport on board.  Should you miss the ship, security will retrieve your passport from the safe and leave it with port authority.   

On 9/30/2019 at 4:32 AM, Elaine5715 said:

Depending on the country, the ship may recommend leaving your passport on board.  Should you miss the ship, security will retrieve your passport from the safe and leave it with port authority.   

That's the best argument I've heard for leaving it on the ship.

On 9/29/2019 at 10:32 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Depending on the country, the ship may recommend leaving your passport on board.  Should you miss the ship, security MAY retrieve your passport from the safe and leave it with port authority.   

They will attempt to, and most likely will, but it is not something they guarantee to do.

16 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

True that they check the safe. They don't search your cabin should you hide it elsewhere 

It is not guaranteed that they will even check the safe.

MOST LIKELY, they will.  But even a former cruise ship captain, in another thread, stated that if things are hectic, it might not get done.