Costa Maya

arnijane

Depends on how active you want to be.  We went to Maya Chan and had a wonderful day with fantastic food and drinks.  We had our own area with padded loungers and they greet you with chips, salsa and guacomole and rum punch.  They also take your drink order-Great Margaritas.  They have loungers floating in the ocean and will bring your drinks out to you.  I just rested and floated and my husband kayaked.  They do have a seaweed problem that they work at constantly.  They are the most welcoming place and make sure they get you back in plenty of time to before the ship leaves.  You can find them on Trip Advisors.  We would definitely do it again.

If you want to try something different and avoid the seaweed, you could try taking an excursion to Bacalar lagoon. I haven't been yet myself, but we've booked an excursion there for when we go in March. It's a huge freshwater lagoon popular for swimming, with crystal-clear water, surrounded by cenotes of varying depths. I believe there is an old fort nearby as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arnijane said:

I'm sailing on RCCL Liberty of the Seas at the end of the month. What is there to do in Puerto Costa Maya?

I loved this place.

https://maya-park.com/

You can book it through your cruise planner or direct.  It was a better deal through the cruise planner.

Welcome to Cruise Cristic

We didn’t plan for this port AT ALL when we were there last week. I figured it would just be a beach day. So we made our way out to the taxis to grab one, but then got pulled in by a vendor (not associated with the cruise line) that had golf carts. $70 for 4 hours which is honestly all the time we had. He gave us a map and directions (it’s a small town) to a beach area with loungers, restaurants, free cart parking maybe 15min from the port. That was $10/person once we arrived. We had the best time driving through town and making our way to the beach! However - the beach was awful. I don’t know where we were but I did not want to get in that water. It was lined with shops and restaurants and the school children did a parade through the town. But the beach. Not pretty. The people though - amazingly friendly! So we had a couple sodas and went on our way. We explored the town on our own (felt very safe and did see other golf cart cruise folks around). It was the best experience. We found a couple of spots off the road where we hopped over the seaweed and took a quick dip. There were random places with Hammocks as well. We stopped and had ourselves some authentic Mexican food, petted a few horses, and met some people outside their homes - some spoke English some did not, but was so fun getting to know them. I am a single mom and was there with my girls and I can tell you I was completely comfortable. It ended up being one of our favorite days 🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jbofkc said:

We didn’t plan for this port AT ALL when we were there last week. I figured it would just be a beach day. So we made our way out to the taxis to grab one, but then got pulled in by a vendor (not associated with the cruise line) that had golf carts. $70 for 4 hours which is honestly all the time we had. He gave us a map and directions (it’s a small town) to a beach area with loungers, restaurants, free cart parking maybe 15min from the port. That was $10/person once we arrived. We had the best time driving through town and making our way to the beach! However - the beach was awful. I don’t know where we were but I did not want to get in that water. It was lined with shops and restaurants and the school children did a parade through the town. But the beach. Not pretty. The people though - amazingly friendly! So we had a couple sodas and went on our way. We explored the town on our own (felt very safe and did see other golf cart cruise folks around). It was the best experience. We found a couple of spots off the road where we hopped over the seaweed and took a quick dip. There were random places with Hammocks as well. We stopped and had ourselves some authentic Mexican food, petted a few horses, and met some people outside their homes - some spoke English some did not, but was so fun getting to know them. I am a single mom and was there with my girls and I can tell you I was completely comfortable. It ended up being one of our favorite days 🙂

Did you go to the New town or down the dirt road after Mahahual?

wondering how far you can actually go in the golf carts since it takes about 10 minutes to town.

Edited by c-leg5

5 hours ago, proggieus said:

we have been to Jaimies at the blue reef the last three times we have been to Costa Maya-

we love it

We went to Jaime's at the Blue Reef in December.  The service was great and we enjoyed out food.  They arranged a snorkel trip for us and the kiddo had a great time.

• Like 5

The best things in Costa Maya are

1) the Native choice tour company to chaccobean Ruins- great day and tour

2) wonderful port area with shopping, bars  food,  large pool...

3) the Malecon (boardwalk) is just a $4 cab ride. Beach, bars  restaurants,  shopping , massages. Wonderful experience 

Safe sailing 

• Like 1

To all recommending Maya Chan and to all who may wish to go there in the future,  please make others aware, Maya Chan requires advanced reservations and limits #of guests.  They typically  book up early, especially in high season, so if you want to go there, best to make reservations as soon as you know CM is one of your ports.