Do re-positioning cruises have a different feel?

poss

Likewise, I wonder if joining the last leg of a world cruise would feel different from being on a "regular" cruise?   Or are such things not very noticeable?

I'd be appreciative of hearing from people who've been there, done that.

Thank you.

We were on the last leg of a Grand Voyage, a circle that went through the Med, down to South Africa, then over to Rio and up to Miami.  We didn't feel it, although at the time (about 10 years ago or so), Regent had trouble filling the ship for this last leg, and offered a very attractive air package to U.K travellers, and the ship had lots of those folks, some of whom were not very typical rssc pax, shall we say.  We also met some of the full circlers, and everyone was very nice.  There was no sense or feeling of being left out.  It was a great cruise, very memorable but part of that was cruising with friends.

We've also sailed, as you probably remember, on the first leg of a Circle SA trip, but that's quite different, everybody is fresh and excited.  Just lots of jealousy from people like us who were getting of in Lima!

Trans-Atlantic cruises are re-positioning -- and we have done a fair number of those on both Regent and Oceania.   We loved them all and would do another in a flash.  Regent's lecturers were better and there were more of them than on Oceania and for us the lectures are a big part of these cruises.  Oceania's food was better but that said our last TA with O. was 4 years ago and I have heard worrying reports about the quality of food have slipped a bit since then.

Thank you for ringing in.    This would be a cruise from Miami-San Fran (at a less desirable time to cruise the Canal, alas, than your Splendor/splendid  itinerary).    Mariner then begins the Alaska season.   I was told this was a "repositioning cruise," but I have no idea what that means, i.e. in the sense of whether it'd be different somehow.   Well, since it's the last leg of a WC, it'll certainly be different in that sense — for one thing, no doubt a lot of people ready to be home and happily bonded — but, again, I don't know how all this might affect the vibe or conditions on board.

Edited by poss

38 minutes ago, poss said:

Thank you for ringing in.    This would be a cruise from Miami-San Fran (at a less desirable time to cruise the Canal, alas, than your Splendor/splendid  itinerary).    Mariner then begins the Alaska season.   I was told this was a "repositioning cruise," but I have no idea what that means, i.e. in the sense of whether it'd be different somehow.   Well, since it's the last leg of a WC, it'll certainly be different in that sense — for one thing, no doubt a lot of people ready to be home and happily bonded — but, again, I don't know how all this might affect the vibe or conditions on board.

I bet the world cruisers from Eastern part of US would get off in Miami which might mean more new blood on this segment.  Just a theory on my part. 

• Like 1

With all due respect, we notice that you seem less than enthusiastic about the MIA-SFO cruise.  Since final payment isn't due yet and you aren't fully committed, perhaps you should consider a cruise somewhere else instead so you can be more relaxed and not have worries.  The cruise should be a pleasant thing to look forward to, and not a concern.

We currently are on a repositioning cruise on the Mariner.  It is not part of a Grand Voyage or world cruise.  The energy onboard is the same as other cruises we have taken.  The crew seems happy to not be doing Seven day cruises and not having swarms of children onboard...

The service is excellent.  The mood is relaxed.  We love it.  For us you can’t beat Regent.

In my opinion, transatlantic cruises are different.  They seem to have more disabled individuals that may not want (or have the ability) to get off of the ship.  We have a "cruising season" that begins in October and ends in March/April.  We take transatlantic cruises because of the cost (we have been able to book Master suites a few times).  

In terms of being a segment of the world cruise, suggest that you do a search for this.  I recall very clearly how some "segmenters" were treated (not positive but understandable).  

We do enjoy transatlantic cruises and will be on one in November (in a Master suite that is affordable) so that we don't really care if we get off of the ship or not since we have been to the ports several times.

I also agree with TC -- especially about the increased number of disabled people.  I think it is an excellent thing for them to have a cruise where they do not have to get on and off the ship every day nor deal with tour buses (or maybe feel left out because they cannot take a tour?).   However this for me is qualified by the fact that some of these people can be very aggressive.  I had my food run over by a wheelchair in the lift and someone on a walker pushed me out of the way in the theatre - which resulted in my falling over the arm of a chair.   Not pleasant experiences for me!!  And both on one TA cruise on the Mariner!!

Also agree totally about the cost which is lower and the ports which we have normally seen already!

Edited by Hambagahle

On 9/22/2019 at 1:08 PM, poss said:

Likewise, I wonder if joining the last leg of a world cruise would feel different from being on a "regular" cruise?   Or are such things not very noticeable?

We have not been of the receiving end, but we were on long cruises where new passengers arrived for the last leg. By then some of us did not go on every excursion any more and several trips were canceled for lack of participation (not Regent). The new passengers were younger and overall had more energy. 

I wonder how this is going to turn out on our Regent word cruise. The last leg is in the Mediterranean and excursions are included in the fare. Will some of us say, what the heck, I don't want to listen to another guide drone on? Or will there be a lot of excitement for the new ports?

8 hours ago, Floridiana said:

I wonder how this is going to turn out on our Regent word cruise. The last leg is in the Mediterranean and excursions are included in the fare. Will some of us say, what the heck, I don't want to listen to another guide drone on? Or will there be a lot of excitement for the new ports?

I've thought about that too. I think the Med at the end should feel exciting--some familiar ports, some new, no pressure to 'see' everything.

Mitigated sadly by packing up after 4 months aboard!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Floridiana said:

All eastern Mediterranean ports are 'new' for me. It's been 50 years … or I haven't been on those islands at all. Time to sit in a taverna and watch people. 

That sounds good to me!  I've been to Greece twice, but not to any of the islands we're going to.  Have spent time in Istanbul, and I'm really looking forward to going back there.  We've decided what we want in Rome (or nearer the port) is a really good pizza!

• Like 1

I just booked my first Regent cruise on the Splendor transatlantic in Nov, 2020.  Is it fair to say that the TA cruise leans towards older clientele? We are 49 and 50. 

Edited by JVNYC

Regent as a rule skews a bit older, especially on longer itineraries.  My wife and I were 40 and 48 on our first Regent cruise and we had a blast.  IMO, the people who sail Regent have a wealth of life experiences and a great outlook on life.  Don’t confuse ‘older’ with ‘boring’.   😁

On the the other hand, if you’re the ‘party till the crack of dawn’ type you might be a bit disappointed.