Cruise card hole?

Russell21

Any truth in the following?

Have just read elsewhere that the cards in use on the Ruby Princess have no hole in them, and you can't punch a hole in them, so you are committed to using a lanyard with a clear plastic sleeve. We are going on the Ruby early November before they start the Medallion in the new year.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

...so you are committed to using a lanyard with a clear plastic sleeve.

Not so. You are not committed to using a lanyard at all. I have never used a lanyard and never will. Can’t stand those things. Come to think of it, not a single member of  my family has ever used one. 

• Like 2

Just now, JimmyVWine said:

Not so. You are not committed to using a lanyard at all. I have never used a lanyard and never will. Can’t stand those things. Come to think of it, not a single member of  my family has ever used one. 

Same here.   Just put it in my  pocket.  Having been doing it that way for 20 years with no problems.

8 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Have just read elsewhere that the cards in use on the Ruby Princess have no hole in them, and you can't punch a hole in them, so you are committed to using a lanyard with a clear plastic sleeve. We are going on the Ruby early November before they start the Medallion in the new year.

Not true.  And bogus info.  Go to Passenger Service Desk,  and they will punch a hole in your card.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

True.  If you punch a hole, there is a possibility that you will damage the card.  I do not know how likely it is that you will break the RFI loop, but that is what they say will happen.

Below is a typical rfid card.   If you ran the card through the x-ray machine, you could

probably figure out where to punch harmlessly.

RFID-Antenna-RFID-Chips-in-Credit-Cards.

Edited by pablo222

3 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Not true.  And bogus info.  Go to Passenger Service Desk,  and they will punch a hole in your card.

Yes...true.

On any ship that has the upgraded entry screen instead of the old door lock (preparation for the Medallion) and Ruby is one of them.

Come prepared with a pouch for the lanyard or keep it in your pocket (if you have one).

If you ask PSD to punch a hole, you will be politely refused. We were on the Ruby recently and I asked "is it true, you can't punch a hole?" The answer was "correct, no hole, it will break the card".

Edited by JF - retired RRT

4 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Yes...true.

On any ship that has the upgraded entry screen instead of the old door lock (preparation for the Medallion) and Ruby is one of them.

Come prepared with a pouch for the lanyard or keep it in your pocket (if you have one).

If you ask PSD to punch a hole, you will be politely refused. We were on the Ruby recently and I asked "is it true, you can't punch a hole?" The answer was "correct, no hole, it will break the card".

Thanks I agree.....fake news.  😂

The good news about the cards that can’t be punched is that they also don’t demagnetize. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve come back to my cabin after an all-day tour only to find that the darn card doesn’t work; have to trudge back down to the Passenger Services Desk to get a new card, and trudge back. 

• Like 3

We were on the Sapphire in mid-August and had the old fashioned cruise card.  It was already punched when given to us at check-in.  I guess I could have attached a lanyard but personally I would just rather keep it in my pocket.

15 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Have just read elsewhere that the cards in use on the Ruby Princess have no hole in them, and you can't punch a hole in them

6 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Yes...true.

Ah, the beauty of cruise critic.   If you don't like one answer, simply read another post.

It's funny how people complain here about calling princess with the same question more than once,

and getting different answers...

I wonder if we could vote?

FWIW, I agree with Mr. JF.   If it is an rfid card, the purser's desk won't punch a hole for you.

But, maybe I should wait for a few more posts...

Edited by pablo222
  • Haha 1

Going on the Emerald in December ( not Medallion only MedallionNet) and in July on the Golden (will not be Medallion). 

So, I am guessing that if you choose to have a card on a ship that has Medallion program you most likely will not be able to get it punched for a lanyard.  I am one of those that likes a lanyard because I would lose my head if it was not attached to my body. I constantly worry about losing things (yes, personal problem I know).😏

When we were on the Royal they gave us a different card holder that was attached to the lanyard for the medallion. It was of dual usage = card and / or medallion. Guess I am taking that on the next cruise..just in case.

35 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

We'll be on the Pacific Princess in May, and I'm hoping that she hasn't had enhancements that would use a newer tech so I can get the hole-punch.  Love my lanyard!

We did a Bon Voyage Experience (yes, I know, they are no more) on the Pacific in May this year and no Medallion type upgrades at that time. I think the Pacific will be one of the last that they upgrade (if at all), due to the age of the ship and the bean counters can't decide if/when to sell her.

2 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

The good news about the cards that can’t be punched is that they also don’t demagnetize. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve come back to my cabin after an all-day tour only to find that the darn card doesn’t work; have to trudge back down to the Passenger Services Desk to get a new card, and trudge back. 

I totally agree with this. I hate having to go get new cards (we have had both of them fail) after a shore excursion when we are hot and sweaty. We've missed our dining time due to this issue and I have had other times when the stupid card quit working - although one time the card reader on the door needed a new battery which turned out to be a much bigger deal than expected. Getting rid of the magnetic strip cards is a great improvement. If folks "need" a lanyard it shouldn't be much of a hardship to have a pouch on it to hold the card. Since it doesn't have to be swiped it can just stay in the pouch. (Personally we have never had the desire to use a lanyard.)

6 hours ago, pablo222 said:

Ah, the beauty of cruise critic.   If you don't like one answer, simply read another post.

It's funny how people complain here about calling princess with the same question more than once,

and getting different answers...

I wonder if we could vote?

FWIW, I agree with Mr. JF.   If it is an rfid card, the purser's desk won't punch a hole for you.

But, maybe I should wait for a few more posts...

No debate on this issue. If the ship has the RFID cards (and most do), you can no longer punch a hole in the card.