Return flight from SYD

IHateSnow!

2 hours ago, IHateSnow! said:

What is the earliest reasonable time to book a return flight from SYD after getting off the Ovation?  Thanks!

What is the scheduled arrival time and will you be carrying off bags or using the standard luggage service?

2 hours ago, IHateSnow! said:

What is the earliest reasonable time to book a return flight from SYD after getting off the Ovation?  Thanks!

No earlier than 2:00 PM

The earliest you will get off is 8:00  ( being optimistic) an hour to the airport,3 hours check in. That’s if everything goes well.

stay the night would be better.

Edited by Chiliburn

I never understand, going somewhere on the other side of the world and rushing to leave.  

That said if you live in Oz, ok, I get wanting to get back home.  I would think worst case you could if you do early departure be at the airport by 11AM.  Would think you would make your flight, just be deligent about getting an early departure and then making sure you are ready to get off the ship.

jc

29 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I never understand, going somewhere on the other side of the world and rushing to leave.  

That said if you live in Oz, ok, I get wanting to get back home.  I would think worst case you could if you do early departure be at the airport by 11AM.  Would think you would make your flight, just be deligent about getting an early departure and then making sure you are ready to get off the ship.

jc

Sometimes a $1,000 difference in airfare motivates strange decisions.

3 hours ago, IHateSnow! said:

Ship docks at 6:30. We have a suite, so priority departure.  Was hoping to make a 12:30 flight.  But it seems staying an extra day is best. 

Stay the night and enjoy your self.

You probably would only just make a 12:30 flight BUT what if something happens.

You can’t get on the next flight in an hour or so .the next day if there’s a seat.

Circular quay has a new duel gangway but last season we couldn’t get of before 9:00. There was some problem?

Sometimes ships can’t get into the harbour because of bad weather.

4 hours ago, mike60707 said:

Don't make me nervous...lol...We're on the Voyager in February 2020, and we have a 11:50AM flight from Sydney on Air New Zealand…..Diamond Plus so we hopefully be off the ship EARLY !

You're cutting it close.  We're staying over an extra night.  Did the math, 45-60 minutes to airport and unknown time through immigration and customs.   Never know if ship will be on time, etc. Decided not to risk it.  Good luck.

I walk off with my luggage and I am almost always home by 8am which would be about the time that I would be able to get to the airport. If something happened though a later train is less of a hassle than missing a flight. The train to the airport is about 500 metres from the terminal.

Having said that, you arrive opposite the Opera House and right near the Harbour Bridge so I would use the flight as an excuse to stay the day.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mike60707 said:

Don't make me nervous...lol...We're on the Voyager in February 2020, and we have a 11:50AM flight from Sydney on Air New Zealand…..Diamond Plus so we hopefully be off the ship EARLY !

I'd be comfortable with that. It's very achievable barring absolute worst case e.g. 4 hours late clearing due to a massive storm or health/safety issue - and moreover with regular flights to NZ it wouldn't be a disaster if the worst happened. Very low risk and the impact if the worst happened is low as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tomatosauce said:

The train to the airport is about 500 meters from the terminal.

We've done self assist, walked straight a few minutes to the CQ metro station, and it was less than a 20 min ride to the International airport (which comes after the Domestic airport stop). Had a lot of time to "kill" at the airport...

Stayed 4 days in Sydney before the cruise at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney, and already knew "the terrain" and had the metro card (Opal) ready.

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

We've done self assist, walked straight a few minutes to the CQ metro station, and it was less than a 20 min ride to the International airport (which comes after the Domestic airport stop). Had a lot of time to "kill" at the airport...

Stayed 4 days in Sydney before the cruise at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney, and already knew "the terrain" and had the metro card (Opal) ready.

Absolutely agree...we've done exactly the same thing...three times now.

Yes, we had our Opal card loaded and ready because we spent a few days in Sydney before our cruise.

Yes, the OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal) is a short walk to Circular Quay.  Use the Opal Card...tap on, tap off...there's a train to the airport every ten minutes.  We get to the airport early and have plenty of time...and have a few drinks at the lounge.

(Yes, of course bad things can happen...we've been lucky so far.)

23 hours ago, tomatosauce said:

I walk off with my luggage and I am almost always home by 8am which would be about the time that I would be able to get to the airport. If something happened though a later train is less of a hassle than missing a flight. The train to the airport is about 500 metres from the terminal.

Having said that, you arrive opposite the Opera House and right near the Harbour Bridge so I would use the flight as an excuse to stay the day.

Have done the train in the opposite direction it is not a hard trip

jc

Here is a photo of the Ovation at dock taken from the platform at the station where you wait to catch the train to the airport. Also a photo of the Opera House taken from the top deck on arrival morning after docking (as an encouragement to consider a longer stay in Sydney).

IMG_4296.JPG

IMG_5335.JPG

• Like 1

We have been on Ovation 5 times and a few times the computers crashed while we were trying to get off .Bit of a shock LOL ( RC with bad it)

once  no one could get of until about 11:00

I remember one time in Tauranga there was a brawl between crew and 6 frustrated passengers who had to meet a tour. They left the ship under arrest.

Anything can happen,stay a night. 

It is a long haul flight and what will it cost if you miss it.