Teppanyaki with toddlers?

podda

I think land based is a bit different too.  On vacation the young kids are in a new, stimulating experience so probably up more and missing some nap time thus being more tired when dinner time rolled around.

Also, last information was that kids could eat there off the ship-wide kids menu for free.  I don't think that has changed.

It was great in the old days when kids were half-price at the much lower cost specialties.  We have two kids and once they got rid of the discount we definitely though harder about where we'd go.  With the current prices less and less likely but that is another topic (heck, even with the prices before the current we could pretty much go to a Teppanyaki with drinks for what NCL was charging).

I went in 2016 with my god-daughters.  They were 1, 2.5 and 9.  The 1 year old slept through most of the dinner.  She was awake when we got there and didn't have her own meal. She shared some rice and then basically fell asleep.  She is also one of the most chillest kids I've ever met, so she just chilled in her carriage before she slept.  If it wasn't for the carriage at the end of the table (between her mom and I at the end) you would have never know she was there.  

The 2.5 year old loved it! The chef kept her entertained.  She was so excited, she really enjoyed it.  When he was done with the "show" and it was time to eat, she ate some of her food. But as a typical 2.5 year old, she didn't finish it.  She sat the table and her and I talked or we colored (we're besties! haha).  She's a fairly hyperactive child, but we were able to keep her attention throughout the entire dinner without the use of any electronics.  

I guess it's up to the children and how they behave.  My god-daughters are very well behaved. 

Honestly, we had more issues at the buffet - because they could get up and move around and make a mess.  In Teppanyaki, they were angels! 

Good luck!

• Like 3

My 3 year old liked Tepenyaki a lot.  Please be aware that we were told 3 years ago due to the very small capacity of this restaurant everyone - including children - must pay full price.  Other specialty restaurants allow children to order off the children's menu for free, but due to the small capacity of this venue they do not (or at least did not 3 years ago).  Previous posters indicate that this has thankfully changed, but you might want to confirm prior to going.  At least on the Star, it cost the same on the ship as land, and both the show and food were not nearly as good as on land.  I personally felt it was overpriced since it wasn't as good as on land, but my 3 year old still loved it, so it might be worth going just to have a nice easy family activity on the ship, or if you don't live near any Tepenyaki places.  It's not at all dangerous  for a child although it is possible your younger ones may get scared and won't appreciate it (or they'll love it, you won't know until you try).  

Edited by kitkat343

Okay, so I don't have kids so can't help on that front. It is worth noting that the tables are small with limited seating so  I would definitely call before you make the reservations. If you make a reservation for 2 because you only want to pay for 2 dinners, I don't see how they would find room to pull up 2 high chairs. There would have to be a way for them to make the reservation for 4 with you only paying for the 2 dinners so that way the room for the extra chairs was reserved and you weren't taking space away from other paying customers.

If you are able to get that worked out and if you think your kids would enjoy someone banging on the table, throwing food around, shouting, and lighting some onions on fire, I would say go for it. With of course the caveat that you are prepared to remove them if they starting screaming or throwing a tantrum (which I would hope parents would do at any dining venue they chose to take their kids too). Not sure what the ambiance is that people keep saying that kids will ruin - the chef yells, throws utensils, bangs on the cooktop, and throws food at people. That actually kinda sounds pretty in line with a toddlers temper tantrum to begin with so not sure why a toddler getting moody would ruin the experience. This isn't a quiet, romantic dinner for 2.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

I am commenting on something that  I do not think has been addressed. Apparently,the dinner lasts for 

an hour and a half. The OP would know if the children could handle that time frame,sitting at a dinner. While the chefs are entertaining to the adult  diners, the children could very well loose interest and become tired.

Only the OP, knowing what the dinner entails can make a sound decision based on how well they know their children and how comfortable they would be in removing one or both children ,if indeed, the dining experience was too much for them to handle.

• Like 1

The dinner lasts a bit longer than one and a half hours. I think the decision needs to be based on the time factor for this venue and what the kids can tolerate keeping in mind that this is a community table. Including three young children with limitations involves considering others in the decision process of selecting this venue. The experience is fun, its long and its drawn out. The food is really good though. 

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I'm still not sure what we will do. I'm thinking of maybe just taking the older one as it sounds like she would enjoy it, but I would of course be prepared to leave if needed. Will have to give it more thought.

I can't speak for this restaurant specifically but i can to this type of dining.  My son's first experience was at 2 at Benihana.  He loved it.  Loved it so much that it's his favorite type of dining next to fondue.  & we go for most of his birthdays.  Hubs isvtrying hard to justify the cost (vs local) of Teppanyaki on our upcoming cruise because my son enjoys it so much.  Its a perfect meal idea for a decently behaved toddler.

11 hours ago, podda said:

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I'm still not sure what we will do. I'm thinking of maybe just taking the older one as it sounds like she would enjoy it, but I would of course be prepared to leave if needed. Will have to give it more thought.

I will be very honest and blunt about this: NO, do not take either, but especially the younger one We have been to there several times, a few times when kids have been enjoying the show and the experience, but seen kids under about 4 bored to tears. I don't think it is fair to the kids, the parents or others. As for the price, my understanding is, you will pay full price for the children as it is a show as well as a meal and the seating is very limited 

• Like 4

The way it is set up on the cruise ship, I don't know if the child in a high chair would even be able to see what the chef is doing.. When my kids were that young, they wanted to start eating as soon as they were put in the high chair and get down when they were done - I would have never taken them to this type of meal - you are served in courses and slowly... we watch the chef cook  and then start getting food... If 8 or 10 people are sitting at the community table, I doubt the chef is going to cater to the young child - most of his jokes etc are for adults... and it isn't fair for the chef to try and entertain your child, ignoring the adults at the table that are not part of your family.. It cost too much for this speciality restaurant for that to happen. 

• Like 6

Just wanted to clarify to OP, we did NOT have to pay for 5 people, just for 2 adults and we had 2 high chairs at the table where the kids could see just fine. We were 7 people at a table for 8, 3 in high chairs and the staff just assumed all kids would want to eat off the kids menu instead of the speciality menu. Also, my kids don't speak English but were entertained anyway...

On 9/26/2019 at 5:11 PM, richg35 said:

People who don't want children around their vacation experiences should vacation at adults only resorts.

That's absurd. People just don't want to holiday with unruly children, If they are well behaved it isn't a problem.  I have brought up two kids and on a handful of occasions we have left the venue rather than ruin other people's experience.  It's not the kids we object to it's the parents who are too busy letting the little ones "express themselves".  If you are paying for exclusive use of the venue, behave how you like but if not be considerate!

Edited by SpainAlien
  • Like 4

On 9/27/2019 at 7:14 PM, podda said:

The last time we took kids to Teppanyaki (ages 9 months, 4, 8, and 11) they said they had to charge us for the 4 and 8 year olds even though they ordered off the kids menu. It was a smaller ship with limited seating, so I'm not sure if this applies to all ships, it sounds like it is inconsistent. They did not try to charge for the baby who was in a high chair and not eating anything other than a baby food pouch and puffs. My 11 year old niece ordered off the menu, so we knew we'd have to pay for her. In the end they ended up charging us one upcharge for the 4 and 8 year olds instead of 2 full upcharges, but it was still an expense we hadn't expected. The baby was bored and antsy and we had to get up and walk her around which made things less enjoyable for her. Even the 4-5 year olds I've eaten there with before have gotten bored and antsy before the meal was over. I'd say it's not worth it until they are at least that age.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gymbomb said:

The last time we took kids to Teppanyaki (ages 9 months, 4, 8, and 11) they said they had to charge us for the 4 and 8 year olds even though they ordered off the kids menu. It was a smaller ship with limited seating, so I'm not sure if this applies to all ships, it sounds like it is inconsistent. They did not try to charge for the baby who was in a high chair and not eating anything other than a baby food pouch and puffs. My 11 year old niece ordered off the menu, so we knew we'd have to pay for her. In the end they ended up charging us one upcharge for the 4 and 8 year olds instead of 2 full upcharges, but it was still an expense we hadn't expected. The baby was bored and antsy and we had to get up and walk her around which made things less enjoyable for her. Even the 4-5 year olds I've eaten there with before have gotten bored and antsy before the meal was over. I'd say it's not worth it until they are at least that age.

Oh how I agree with you. My grand kids would not even consider taking their kids under elementary age to a  similar type restaurant. We have been in Teppaniki's a few times when there have been very young kids there: if the chef is really good, they seem to be ok and maybe even enjoying themselves, but not all of the chefs are that great. We have both. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 10:13 AM, beerman2 said:

If only the parents would be parents and not warn the kids or count to whatever number they do.

It's old school but if a kid is throwing a tantrum/ acting up in any way the parent(s) should remove the child immediately NOT try to pacify or reason with them.

There is a big difference about having kids around vs. kids causing a scene in a restaurant. 

except when they bring them into shows like jersey boys and they all start crying. leave the kids nd babies in the room tied to the door and don't ruin the show for other people

23 minutes ago, paperposter said:

except when they bring them into shows like jersey boys and they all start crying. leave the kids nd babies in the room tied to the door and don't ruin the show for other people

So you prefer child abuse?? Nice, very nice. "Leave the kids and babies in the room tied to the door"!  You can't possibly be serious.

12 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

So you prefer child abuse?? Nice, very nice. "Leave the kids and babies in the room tied to the door"!  You can't possibly be serious.

yup .they ruined the show for a ton of people .they need to have an age requirement for the shows either that or duct tape and nyquil

On 9/27/2019 at 7:14 PM, podda said:

Just my personal observation. We were at a table with 2 unruly kids and it really impacted our night. There is no telling how your littles will respond (I have a teenager) so I get it. But this particular experience can be overwhelming for them. There is loud noises, fire, interaction with strangers in funny hats, and food being thrown.Sensory overload for some very young kids. Plus it can be a much LONGER dining experience. I would caution you to bring them as it may impact your experience or the experience of those around you. Plus you don't want your kids to have a stressful evening meal that would make bedtime a real joy 😉 

On 10/2/2019 at 8:27 PM, paperposter said:

yup .they ruined the show for a ton of people .they need to have an age requirement for the shows either that or duct tape and nyquil

They don’t need an age requirement or duct tape.  Ncl should follow princess and only close the kids clubs for one hour at dinner on sea days  instead of two hours (currently it’s closed 5-7).  Then the parents can safely drop the kids off at the kids clubs as soon as they get fussy,  and not interfere with anyone else’s enjoyment of the cruise.  Parents absolutely should remove their misbehaving kids immediately irregardless of the time, but it’s a lot easier when you have the kids club to drop them off at.  Also, that’s a really easy conversation to have with an antsy kid - honey, do you want to go to the kids club or do you want to stay here.  And if they want to stay, they need to behave and if they can’t off they go to the kids club.  And if they choose  their club, then off we go immediately.    Otherwise we’re walking around the ship, trying to kill time until the kids club reopens, which is much better than disturbing others but frustrating since the parents could be enjoying this time if the kids club is open.  

Edited by kitkat343

here's how i see it.  kids have gotten worse in terms of their behavior and parents seem oblivious.  i couldnt tell you the last time i saw a parent sacrifice their meal/good time and take their child out of the restaurant when they are acting up.  there is zero teaching of good behavior anymore.  or the simple solution is plunk them in front a a device.  sure it keeps the kid quiet, but it doesnt teach them how to behave at the dinner table. what happens when the device isnt available?  same thing with stores.  i see kids have fits in stores and in my day parents would abandon their cart and leave the store.  now they just continue shopping somehow tuning the kid out.  its crazy.

for us, we enjoy teppanyaki as it is the only shared dining experience.  You have a table of 8 people.  if 4 of those people were a family with 2 toddlers they would most liekly all be seated on the long part of the table with a couple then at each end of the table.  this means little to no adult socialization.  Kids may like the show for a bit.  The show is also noisy.  Also ive seen chefs "tone down" some of the action when there are little ones at the table - god forbid a knife or spatula goes flying and hits a kid.  

when i do see well behaved kids i actually take time to compliment the parents.  sadly, this is a rare occurrence.

• Like 1