How much On Board Credit?

fscool

Just booking an Oasis cruise for July 2020 (7 nights).  Balcony (water facing) room.  I am a little surprised that during this current WOW sale where the 2nd person is 50% off and up to $300 OBC, I received $100 OBC.  The reason being that in prior years for the same WOW sale, the OBC was closer to $175 or $200 OBC.  Has anyone noticed RCL scaling back the OBC?  

I know that the OBC changes pricing logic at any time and suite holders get much more (or if you book on a cruise for your next cruise) but this OBC number kind of surprised me.  

I'm not complaining, but just wondering if a trend is happening...

On 9/30/2019 at 9:36 AM, fscool said:

Just booking an Oasis cruise for July 2020 (7 nights).  Balcony (water facing) room.  I am a little surprised that during this current WOW sale where the 2nd person is 50% off and up to $300 OBC, I received $100 OBC.  The reason being that in prior years for the same WOW sale, the OBC was closer to $175 or $200 OBC.  Has anyone noticed RCL scaling back the OBC?  

I know that the OBC changes pricing logic at any time and suite holders get much more (or if you book on a cruise for your next cruise) but this OBC number kind of surprised me.  

I'm not complaining, but just wondering if a trend is happening...

Hi, just wondering if you received $100 OBC for the stateroom, or per person (total $200)?

1 hour ago, red-dragon said:

Hi, just wondering if you received $100 OBC for the stateroom, or per person (total $200)?

It depends on the sale it was booked with. I've seen it offered both ways.

Edited by mets123
Spelling

4 hours ago, mets123 said:

It depends on the sale it was booked with. I've seen it offered both ways.

Ugh, I don't know why the quote button didn't include the OP @fscool

My question was for their July 2020 Oasis cruise, what they ended up getting, was it $100 for the stateroom, or $100/pp

Is there a way to determine what your OnBoard Credit would be before you submit your booking?  I have a booking already with my $100 OBC on a water facing balcony.  Since RCL offers deals all the time, can I take a booking so far to determine the OBC?  

The problem with OBC is finding things too spend it on.

We are way past the point of buying typical souvenirs.  

And most specialty shops are very over priced with no real value.

Liquor is may favorite is the go-too, however when flying I can really only take a few bottles.

Maybe a Xmas ornament...

18 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

A mock booking should show the current OBC offers, if any.

I'll take another look then once the OBC offers come back.  I don't recall seeing it on my last mock bookings I have tried but I may not have been looking in the correct spot.

3 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

The problem with OBC is finding things too spend it on.

We are way past the point of buying typical souvenirs.  

And most specialty shops are very over priced with no real value.

Liquor is may favorite is the go-too, however when flying I can really only take a few bottles.

Maybe a Xmas ornament...

To be honest, I have only ever used it for the drink package to offset the cost a little.  

1 hour ago, fscool said:

To be honest, I have only ever used it for the drink package to offset the cost a little.  

You can do that now since they allow you use the credit for pre-cruise purchases.

I guess I was thinking back when you had to wait until you board to spend it...

We somehow lucked out with our next cruise booking while on board Vision. It was at first, $200, ($100 pp). But because of a "special" arrangement because we booked using our visa RCL card, ended up with a total of $300 OBC. However, these OBC's are completely dynamic, dependent on the cruise, time of year, ship, etc. We are on BOTS for a Baltic 12 night next June. I'll also cash in some card points giving us a total of $550 OBC altogether, which is good for us - no need to buy expensive drink packages. Best part of this, did our own bookings without having a third party involved. I can deal without the free bottle of champagne and the infamous "free" basket of fruit.