Global Entry/Mobile Passport lane In Ft Lauderdale

trbarton

I find that there are signs for GE/MP but the people working there don’t know about it or what to do. Just follow the signs (even in the path is blocked as I found - there was a clearly marked “lane” but a stanchion tape across it) and you can go to the front of the line. This was a year or so ago so hopefully it has changed. Just be confident with the workers that you indeed do have GE/MP and move to the front of the line. That is the point. We are pre-screened.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trbarton said:

Is their a Global Entry/Mobile Passport lane in Ft Lauderdale?

Thanks!

Tom

I was just wanting to know this myself! Hopefully someone with current information will chime in!

Janet

It was even longer ago for us, so not current, sorry....but I always bring my Global Entry card along to expedite things. In Ft Lauderdale, we followed the signs, which got us in the 'lane' where there was no line. As we started entering, a person working there came up to me and said "May I help you?".....I assume she was ready to tell me to get into another line. I showed her my card and she just said. "OK, go ahead.". Walked right through, stopped very briefly to chat with the immigration person and was in and out in just a few short minutes.

Same experience last January, the people working said there wasn't one, the signs said there was, and, it was blocked off. We walked around the 'line' blocking us, a person asked if I had Global Entry, I said yes, but did not have my card (you don't need it, it's attached to your passport).  But I had filled out the Mobile Passport and showed her that, she let us through.  So, bring your card! We walked right out after scanning our passport and getting the printout. Don't forget to look up when you scan your passport, it had a pic of the top of my wife's head. LOL.

1 hour ago, Denmal said:

There is a GE line BUT remember to bring your card. 

Pretty sure they stopped issuing cards.  I've been in the program long enough that I had to renew, and when I did, no new card was issued.  I asked and they said that all information is embedded electronically on your passport and that they were no longer issuing cards.  (This is for Global Entry.  Don't know about Mobile Passport.)

This is on the CBP website FAQ's:

I have been a member since before July 12, 2011. How can I obtain a Global Entry card?

Global Entry members who joined prior to July 12, 2011, may request a Global Entry card via their TTP account for a $15 fee. Login to your TTP account and click on the "Manage Membership" button. Next, click on the "Request for Global Entry Card" button. Finally, complete the application and pay the $15 fee.

So apparently you can buy one, but one won't be automatically issued.

Here is another FAQ from the site indicating that not only are cards unnecessary at the kiosks, they are actually useless.

Q: What travel document is used at a GE Kiosk?

A: Only your passport or permanent resident card are valid for use at Global Entry kiosks....PLEASE NOTE; TTP cards are NOT required at Global Entry airport kiosks. TTP cards are required for land border crossings at dedicated lanes (SENTRI or NEXUS).

Edited by JimmyVWine

We use Mobile Passport. All I did was show someone my phone and they let me in the express lane. You still have to show your passport to the immigration official, but it saved us lots of time.

Edited by CineGraphic

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Pretty sure they stopped issuing cards.  I've been in the program long enough that I had to renew, and when I did, no new card was issued.  I asked and they said that all information is embedded electronically on your passport and that they were no longer issuing cards.  (This is for Global Entry.  Don't know about Mobile Passport.)

This is on the CBP website FAQ's:

I have been a member since before July 12, 2011. How can I obtain a Global Entry card?

Global Entry members who joined prior to July 12, 2011, may request a Global Entry card via their TTP account for a $15 fee. Login to your TTP account and click on the "Manage Membership" button. Next, click on the "Request for Global Entry Card" button. Finally, complete the application and pay the $15 fee.

So apparently you can buy one, but one won't be automatically issued.

Here is another FAQ from the site indicating that not only are cards unnecessary at the kiosks, they are actually useless.

Q: What travel document is used at a GE Kiosk?

A: Only your passport or permanent resident card are valid for use at Global Entry kiosks....PLEASE NOTE; TTP cards are NOT required at Global Entry airport kiosks. TTP cards are required for land border crossings at dedicated lanes (SENTRI or NEXUS).

If your passport doesn't work at the kiosk, the agent will demand your card.  When we traveled with our kids recently, their passports didn't work on the kiosk for whatever reason.  When we walked up to the agent, he scolded us about not having our cards.  I had previously used GE plenty of times by myself with just my passport and never carried my card.

At the cruise terminal, there is no kiosk.  And the port workers would not let us in the line because we didnt' have our cards.  I even pushed a little bit, saying we have it, we use it with just our passports, and they weren't having it.  No card.  No GE line, period.  It was a fairly long regular line, too.  Which sucked.

We got cards for our kids earlier this year by default.  So they definitely still issue them.  What you are reading is that if you signed up prior to 2011, you didn't get a card but you can buy one.  Anyone after that date gets a card.  And again, you really do need/should have your card on you when using GE.

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

They don't have kiosks at the cruise port terminasl. They look at your card. Also you should carry your card as you might need it in some instances at airports. Coming back from Iceland after I did the Global Entry kiosk I was selected for a luggage search. He wanted the custom form which i had done on the kiosk. So I showed him my card to prove that. 

40 minutes ago, BNBR said:

We got cards for our kids earlier this year by default.  So they definitely still issue them.

I just contacted them and they said that they don't issue new cards with renewals, but that you can still carry around your old card and use that.  So I guess that is what I will do.  

Edited by JimmyVWine

6 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I just contacted them and they said that they don't issue new cards with renewals, but that you can still carry around your old card and use that.  So I guess that is what I will do.  

It probably has no real value other than showing you do/did in fact have global entry.  So maybe they don't want to keep issuing and printing them for renewals, only new sign ups.

• Like 2

We got Global Entry about 3 years ago, just prior to our last cruise. We did get a card at that time, so maybe they don't issue them with renewals after 2011, but they did, at least as of mid to late 2016, issue with a new application

8 hours ago, dogdoc2002 said:

We got Global Entry about 3 years ago, just prior to our last cruise. We did get a card at that time, so maybe they don't issue them with renewals after 2011, but they did, at least as of mid to late 2016, issue with a new application

They issued cards this year for my wife and kids with their new application.  I think it's just renewals, which would suggest they are ignoring the expiry date on the cards.

21 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I just renewed both mine and my husband's global entry  in 2019 and they sent new cards after I requested them and without charge.

OP, Terminal 2 has a global entry lane.  You just have to show your card and they let you through. 

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

15 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I just renewed both mine and my husband's global entry  in 2019 and they sent new cards after I requested them and without charge.

Thanks.  Did they suggest that you needed new cards?  I think with CBP, if you ask the same question 5 times you will get 5 different answers!