Princess Stateroom Organization

EmilyColwell

On 10/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, voljeep said:

try amazon - battery operated tea lights

Dollar Tree has them for a dollar. You get at least two. 

One kept the bathroom bright enough not to have to turn the light on at night for a 27 day cruise. 

• Like 1

Over the years we have sailed with up to 4 in the stateroom and we never needed half the things people bring on board including a shoe organizer.  We do bring this over sized shopping bag from Ikea instead of a pop up hamper because not only does it store dirty clothes it also makes for a good laundry basket for folded clothes after they are washed. 

01AE81AE-6315-4ED9-BE95-ABAE94D2E386.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 1:43 PM, shanecindy21403 said:

Electric tea lights? That's a new one. It all depends on what type of cabin and how many are going to be using it. When I sail solo I don't have to worry about space any cabin has lots of space. If there are multiple people in the same cabin I'd recommend an over the door shoe organizer for toiletries and etc.

We have taken tea lights too.

On 10/4/2019 at 2:59 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, the no flier sign did work.  The Ruby had no "mailbox" although it wasn't really Medallion ready.  The fixture was there and you used your cruise card to open the door.  That was the extent of "Medallion".  Without the mailbox, they would slip fliers under the door....what a pain in the back (side).  So I put up the handwritten unprofessional sign and trash (oops...notices) ceased.  Wahoo.  I did my part to save Mother Earth from junk mail.

Good idea....I hate all those papers!  They usually go right in the trash.  I have tried to communicate that we think all the flyers are a waste of paper/trees and not good for the environment but that didn't seem to work.

We do the magnets too...we can hang any papers/calenders/reminders etc  on the wall so they don't clutter up the desk. Magnets with hooks to hang our lanyards, tote bags, wristet purses, light jackets, etc.
The tea lights are battery operated but I found a small light with electric eye that only turns on when you enter the bathroom.
We use a mesh bag or the blue Princess bag they give you, for the laundry.  We bring the 3 in 1 sheets...they don't spill and they take up no space at all. 
We, well, I, use packing cubes too...they go from the suitcase to the shelves or drawers. I also use a packing cube for my bingo dauber, my highlighters, post its, etc.  I use another packing cube for meds that aren't used every day such as antacids, cough meds etc.
 It doesn't save space, but we pack most of our clothes on wire hangers so we just lift them from the suitcase to the rod in the closet...easy peasy.  The last night, we just put them back in the suitcases on the hangers.
The suitcases go under the bed with items we use only occasionally (umbrella, beach items, hats), clothing we won't be wearing again during the cruise inside the suitcase.

On 10/4/2019 at 3:54 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

Interesting thread.  Thanks for starting it.  I am glad I am not the only one that brings an excessive amount of "must haves".

If...I am traveling in any other stateroom (not a suite), then I bring along my "privacy (shower) curtain" attached to the ceiling with magnetic hooks and a bungee cord to hold back the curtain.  It is positioned between the front door and living area to create a larger private dressing area around the bathroom.

The Ruby had (sometimes annoying) motion detector lights on the bottom shelf of the desk to guide you to the bathroom.  Thrak was the first to mention this.  

You can never have enough magnetic clips for those important memos.  All walls, ceilings, and doors are metal.

I bring collapsible boxes for things around my nightstand and to organize the desk.  I've even used small cardboard boxes and just disposed of them when I left.  Soda boxes are great to store things in above the closet.  You won't lose things way in the back.

I have a hanging 3 tier shelf that I use in the closet.

Similar to this:   https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Packable-Zippered-Compartment-Organizer/dp/B007XAIFC0/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=travelon+travel+shelf&qid=1570175249&sr=8-2

Most importantly, I attach a note to my front door....Please do not leave SPA and/or Art fliers.  

This is just a small fraction of the things I bring along on a long cruise to make my stateroom functional.  I am not OCD....just the opposite.  I have to organize my chaos.  

On the other side.  I lay out what I think I will need to wear, then throw out at least half to 2/3's.  Even then....I pack too much clothes.

You sound like me on most of your items!  I tell my DH that I have "organized confusion"!

AND I am a chronic over-packer!

With all of the organizational paraphernalia you bring, has anyone stoped and considered how poorly appointed Princess staterooms are? I never had one thing out of a draw sitting on the desk or dresser except charging electrics when on Royal or Celebrity. 

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

With all of the organizational paraphernalia you bring, has anyone stoped and considered how poorly appointed Princess staterooms are? I never had one thing out of a draw sitting on the desk or dresser except charging electrics when on Royal or Celebrity. 

I think it's more of Princess not keeping up with the times. Personally, I think the cabin design is efficient and well done for the "old days"; however, times have changed and people require "more stuff" to feel comfortable (cell phones, tablets, electronics, etc.). Our modern society is abundantly richer than in the past and people are accustomed to more convenience and comfort than in the past. Given that the Princess cabin design is still used today, I think it's more of a testament of how well planned it was at the time of conception. Now, it could probably use a revamp.

• magnets & magnet clips (put one by the door to hang lanyard with cruise card so you never have to search for it)
  • plastic envelopes (9x12) to save the papers you want to keep & the ones you will be using
  • an old hanging toiletries kit that has things like pens, post-its, sharpies, etc so they stay together
  • got a set of 3 collapsible cubes at ikea: small one sits on bedside table for glasses etc so I can always find them in the AM larger ones to keep things together
  • a small container of dish soap so I can wash out my refillable mugs (because 2 weeks!)

I think everything else has been mentioned: suitcase under bed, tickets in safe, packing cubes

On 10/3/2019 at 3:17 AM, lola2013 said:

I travel both with a friend or solo (when her husband decides to sail with us).  Either way, I believe Princess has the best closets... so much room for hanging items and on the shelves in the closet.  Whether I am sharing or not, I always bring an over the door organizer.  Mine has about 24 pockets that I use for shoes and/or other miscellaneous stuff like suntan lotion, etc.  I also use packing cubes so that everything that comes out of my suitcase goes either in a drawer or on a shelf "as is."  Also, keep in mind that Princess has the self serve laundromats on each deck so you don't need to pack as much...I usually do laundry just one early morning...in and out with clean clothes in about 90 minutes.

Thank you for that time frame. I will be on the Sapphire Princess ,March 25th 2021. On Aloha deck, have a reasonable walk to the laundromat. What times are the laundromats available please?

8 hours ago, cheezenip said:

I think it's more of Princess not keeping up with the times. Personally, I think the cabin design is efficient and well done for the "old days"; however, times have changed and people require "more stuff" to feel comfortable (cell phones, tablets, electronics, etc.). Our modern society is abundantly richer than in the past and people are accustomed to more convenience and comfort than in the past. Given that the Princess cabin design is still used today, I think it's more of a testament of how well planned it was at the time of conception. Now, it could probably use a revamp.

I think you hit it dead on. In the past people changed clothes more often as the only place to eat was the MDR. Our first  Princess sailing was in 1991. We took a tux, Dinner jacket, 2 suites 2 cocktail dresses and 2 gowns for the 2 formal and 2 semi formal nights on a 7 day cruise. The room was the same as it is today and we filled the closet. Now we need more drawer space for the electronics and all of the accessories that come with them.  I hate having to hang things on the wall. Makes the room more cluttered than it already is. 

1 hour ago, crochetcruise said:

Thank you for that time frame. I will be on the Sapphire Princess ,March 25th 2021. On Aloha deck, have a reasonable walk to the laundromat. What times are the laundromats available please?

Double check the daily news letter for laundry room times.  I believe it was 8am on Caribbean Princess last year...I went down about 7am and the door was already unlocked....had the room to myself.

A lot of people find it difficult to relax with too much clutter around... too many places for your eyes (and brain) to wonder. That's why I only hang the first-day Patter, open to the itinerary, as quick reminder. Everything else is out of sight! Everyone has their own sense of how 'organization' looks. To me, how it looks equates to how it feels.

24 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Double check the daily news letter for laundry room times.  I believe it was 8am on Caribbean Princess last year...I went down about 7am and the door was already unlocked....had the room to myself.

Thank You!

I'm not a bit breakfast eater, so could start the load and get a snack while waiting to change to the dryer.

3 minutes ago, crochetcruise said:

Thank You!

I'm not a bit breakfast eater, so could start the load and get a snack while waiting to change to the dryer.

Good plan...beat the crowd!

By the way, my mom and I sailed on Sapphire Princess and loved it!

Guest arowe6

I take a different approach to organization than most. After many (many many) years of cruising with my partner, we've found we just don't need a lot of stuff. 

We bring more money and less stuff.

No shoe organizers.

No power strips.

No magnets/pens/highlighters

No cabin decorations.

No nightlights or battery candles.

No laundry hampers.

The "less stuff" part lends itself to more cabin organization for us.

And if we happen to forget something or need something, we buy it in port or on board.

Enjoy your cruise! 

Andrew

It’s painful to have  to purchase on board something We could have brought with us.   The prices are exorbitant. Retirees on fixed incomes sometimes have to stretch the budget just to cruise. 

Spending time in port trying to find something we could have brought with us is even worse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, arowe6 said:

I take a different approach to organization than most. After many (many many) years of cruising with my partner, we've found we just don't need a lot of stuff. 

We bring more money and less stuff.

No shoe organizers.

No power strips.

No magnets/pens/highlighters

No cabin decorations.

No nightlights or battery candles.

No laundry hampers.

The "less stuff" part lends itself to more cabin organization for us.

And if we happen to forget something or need something, we buy it in port or on board.

Enjoy your cruise! 

Andrew

Same with us, Andrew! We're retired, have a pretty strict travel budget, but never bring any of that extra stuff. We've never felt the need for any of it. 

On 10/6/2019 at 6:26 PM, PaperSniper4 said:

I've attached the check list I made years ago, although I slightly modify it for each cruise we take. You will surely do the same as you cruise more. We forgot a TON of things we would have liked to have had on our first, and brought another ton of things we never needed! The attached file is PDF.

I doubt you will forget something you really need, like medications, but sometimes it is easy to overlook the obvious......

cruise pack list general.pdf 126.77 kB · 108 downloads

WOW...What a list..some things I had, some I did not.  Any chance you have it in a word document for me to edit.  I know i am picky...My husband tells me i m so demanding...LOL   But honestly this has just lowered my stress level.  Thanks for sharing

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DMT1970 said:

I have never used packing cubes but the seem like they would really help.  Can anyone share the type they have gotten.  Seems like there are several kinds. 

There are several varieties available.  I got ones that have an opaque top part so you can sorta see whats inside of each one. Those I use for my vitamins, ginger, extra lanyards, hooks, markers, bingo dauber, etc.  
I also got a cute set with set with scenes of NYC that I use for undies, socks, swimsuits.....all the "loose" things that I can just pack in them and simply put them on the shelves in the closet. 

https://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Packing-Squares-Cool-Tones/dp/B06ZZPYCKS/ref=sr_1_127?crid=KNLD9KMPXPZ5&dchild=1&keywords=packing+cubes+for+travel&qid=1570673315&sprefix=packing+cubes%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-127

Edited by suzyed

On 10/2/2019 at 1:30 PM, EmilyColwell said:

Hey cruisers!

I am leaving for my 15 day Hawaiian cruise in a short 5 days and have already been thinking about the best way to set up my stateroom. 

I already have a pop up hamper, magnets and electric tea lights for my bathroom to help with room organization and to optimize the space in there.

I am curious what you all do to help keep the room clean, organized and functional. Lets hear those tips!

Thanks! 

Where are you going to plug in the electric tea lights?