Trip Cancellation - Princess Insurance

Tedferg

We recently had to cancel a trip for medical reasons and I am pursuing a claim with AON, so far so good.

Our travelling companions cancelled too, rather than travel alone. Since they also have Princess Platinum insurance I assume they will get full credit towards a future cruise. So my question, how do they initiate this claim ? Do they have to go through AON or directly to Princess. Incidentally, since we used a travel agent Princess does not want to be involved.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It was my experience that AON only handled the claim if you were asking for a cash refund. Medical reasons are usually a difficult situation, I will be interested in your outcome.

Princess usually handles cruise credit after AON has not allowed the claim.

As I said that was my experience and since things are constantly changing, the procedure may have changed also.

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

We recently had to cancel a trip for medical reasons and I am pursuing a claim with AON, so far so good.

Our travelling companions cancelled too, rather than travel alone. Since they also have Princess Platinum insurance I assume they will get full credit towards a future cruise. So my question, how do they initiate this claim ? Do they have to go through AON or directly to Princess. Incidentally, since we used a travel agent Princess does not want to be involved.

I would go to your travel agent first and then proceed according to what they suggest.

I can only give you my experience which was a number of years ago when my brother-in-law got sick on a cruise and wound up in the ICU in Ft. Lauderdale for a month. I stayed in FL to be with and help out my sister. Separate cabins, separate bookings. I had my own Princess insurance. I submitted my claim for “trip interruption” even though we’d completed the cruise under my sister’s claim #. However, my claim was reimbursed to me to the maximum allowed with my policy. In other words, it was one incident #, two claims, two payouts. 

Check with your TA but I’d also call the insurance company and ask whether they should open a separate claim or submit their claim under your claim #. 

11 hours ago, Tedferg said:

This story sounds very familiar as I think your companions started a thread with the mirror to this.  (Either that or it so happened to two couples the same way very recently).

16 hours ago, BIGADORF said:

Wen_c82, Out of curiosity did you cancel for medical reasons?

Yes.  we were on a transpacific cruise to Anchorage cruise with 4 days in Alaska then another cruise to Vancouver.  Mom was sick last evening of the  of cruise, after seeing on board doctor, we just decided to cancel the second cruise next day and returned home.  

I actually filed 2 separate claims. The cancelled cruise claim was processed promptly.  Full cruise fare refund plus  Princess EZ airfare from Aon.  Port fees/tax were credited to original payment method by Princess after cancellation.  The first cruise claim took a little longer because I had to wait for her medical insurance claim result before I was able to send in all documentations.  During the whole process, Aon has been very helpful in answering questions I had.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steelers36 said:

This story sounds very familiar as I think your companions started a thread with the mirror to this.  (Either that or it so happened to two couples the same way very recently).

My primary question is do our companions, canceling for a non covered reason, have to deal with AON.

32 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

My primary question is do our companions, canceling for a non covered reason, have to deal with AON.

Wish I could help only can say Princess was wonderful to deal with as was Jetblue we got most of our money back when I got up at night.I fell hit the nightstand going down and fractured three ribs! Ouch!!!  I now sit on the side of my bed until I am sure I am fully awake and ok ...lol Painful lesson! Was very thankful for the lift chair I bought when my husband had surgery on his leg!

Good luck!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Princess insurance worked out great for us! I submitted doctors notes ...I had plenty...lol

Edited by Reader0108598

57 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I think not because the cancel for any reason coverage is not part of the insurance. It is a courtesy benefit extended by Princess itself. Call Princess or your travel agent to find out the process, but your friends will not be dealing with the insurance company.  They will not be getting money back, rather a cruise credit to be used in a specified amount of time.  

As a side note, the cruise booked with the credit they receive cannot be insured for cancellation because insurance companies do not recognize credits as a form of payment. They can still get the medical and other features of travel insurance, just not cancellation.  The point is that they must use it or the money is gone.

18 minutes ago, Babr said:

I think not because the cancel for any reason coverage is not part of the insurance. It is a courtesy benefit extended by Princess itself. Call Princess or your travel agent to find out the process, but your friends will not be dealing with the insurance company.  They will not be getting money back, rather a cruise credit to be used in a specified amount of time.  

As a side note, the cruise booked with the credit they receive cannot be insured for cancellation because insurance companies do not recognize credits as a form of payment. They can still get the medical and other features of travel insurance, just not cancellation.  The point is that they must use it or the money is gone.

The TA has nothing to do with it.

I know mine does not know anything about Princess insurance (and cannot answer anything about cancel for any reason or otherwise) and they are a top 3 Princess seller in the US.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I know mine does not know anything about Princess insurance (and cannot answer anything about cancel for any reason or otherwise) and they are a top 3 Princess seller in the US.

No, travel agents are not insurance agents, but they are paid a commission to provide service to their customers. Perhaps the travel agent could  at least provide contact information to get the process started.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Babr said:

No, travel agents are not insurance agents, but they are paid a commission to provide service to their customers. Perhaps the travel agent could  at least provide contact information to get the process started.

Of course.............

FWIW......

Upon purchasing Princess insurance an email with the insurance PDF is attached.

All contact info is listed in that PDF.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

My TA does.  She will cancel any onboard reservations that you have (excursions, drink packages, etc).  So they do play a part in the cancellation. The insurance company will have forms to fill out and documentation to provide to them (which I do believe my TA at least in part, provided).

Circular reasoning here. The whole question was whether the CFAR coverage was part of the insurance. I contend it is not.  It is a credit directly from Princess. The insurance company is providing no benefit though they may administer the claim. It is as good a place to start as any.

Should have quoted Colo Cruiser here for continuity.

Edited by Babr
Left out info

18 minutes ago, suzyed said:

My TA does.  She will cancel any onboard reservations that you have (excursions, drink packages, etc).  So they do play a part in the cancellation. The insurance company will have forms to fill out and documentation to provide to them (which I do believe my TA at least in part, provided).

Mine will cancel stuff to but........

I was speaking of the insurance part,  that still has nothing to do with the insurance side of it.

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

yes they do. Aon has to determine if it's covered or non covered reason (Btw, Traveling companion is covered reason but it depends on how it's defined.) If Aon determines it's not covered then it goes to Princess program administrator. If you still have PDF file that Princess sent upon purchasing the insurance, it has all the phone # 

18 hours ago, wen_c82 said:

yes they do. Aon has to determine if it's covered or non covered reason (Btw, Traveling companion is covered reason but it depends on how it's defined.) If Aon determines it's not covered then it goes to Princess program administrator. If you still have PDF file that Princess sent upon purchasing the insurance, it has all the phone # 

Thanks for all replies, Our TA is obliging and did the cancellation but does not understand the claim process. Also once Princess sees there is a TA involved they wash their hands of it. Our friends will call the plan administrator number shown in the brochure you refer to.

Honestly - travel insurance is very complicated (from booking to cancelling). If I was a TA - I would direct everyone to the travel insurance company for exact answers. Princess isn't very good at answering questions about their insurance as it is administered by a 3rd party. That is why they also direct people there.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1