Restaurant Suggestion Old San Juan

ajtraveler66

We are trying to decide what to do while at port in Old San Juan from 5:30 to 12:00 on Tuesday, February 11, 2020.

One possibility we are considering is to make reservations (if possible) at a restaurant that features the local cuisine along with other menu offerings such as lightly seasoned favorites such as steak, chicken.  [Some within our party have difficulty with overly spicy foods].  If we went this way, which restaurant(s) would you suggest?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

We have not ruled out just eating on the ship and then going out for a walk for an hour or so.....but it sure would be fun to sample some good local cuisine.  I have heard that mofongo is a 'must'.

• 3 weeks later...

Easy answer...no reservations necessary...just walk to the Hotel Milano...go through the lobby and up to the rooftop restaurant "Punto de Vista"....just amazing food & drinks...Our favorite go to spot in old San Juan ....Enjoy !!!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We've had great success just wandering until we found food that caught our eye.  We stopped and ate outside at a little bar like place with really yummy drinks and local style bar food.  We found a restaurant with a train that delivers your food to you.  We also really like to ask the uber or taxi drivers what their favorite local place is.  Last year, our uber driver suggested a "BBQ" place around the corner from our AirBnB, so we tried that.  It wasn't what I was expecting and I personally didn't love it, but I'm incredibly picky in my food, so don't go by my thoughts haha.  My husband and in laws loved it.  And while we were there, our uber driver came in to pick up dinner, too, so clearly he really did love the place!

Edited by piggiepuff

On 10/26/2019 at 2:11 AM, Ashland said:

Easy answer...no reservations necessary...just walk to the Hotel Milano...go through the lobby and up to the rooftop restaurant "Punto de Vista"....just amazing food & drinks...Our favorite go to spot in old San Juan ....Enjoy !!!!

Hi Ashland, going to be in San Juan in two weeks. Never heard of this place before. I may check it out as we are docked until 10PM. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you remember the street address? I can try a google search.

Edit: Found it... 307 Calle Fortaleza. Same street as the Barrachina.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Hi Ashland, going to be in San Juan in two weeks. Never heard of this place before. I may check it out as we are docked until 10PM. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you remember the street address? I can try a google search.

Edit: Found it... 307 Calle Fortaleza. Same street as the Barrachina.

But closer to cruise piers. Cross street is Calle Tanca which comes up from piers. Easy to find.Barachina is a few blocks west

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 5:44 PM, lizbeth said:

We went to Metropol restaurant in San Juan (7 locations). I still remember the cornish game hen - it was amazing!

Are all 7 locations similar?  We'll be doing a self-guided walking tour, and I'm not sure how easy they are to find?  What were some stand out, must try dishes?  Thanks!

On 10/26/2019 at 2:11 AM, Ashland said:

On 10/26/2019 at 12:10 PM, LittleYiaYia said:

I agree with Ashland.  Punto de Vista is our favorite in OSJ.  When you arrive, put your name in and you can walk around and they will text you when your table is ready.  Enjoy the best mofongo in Puerto Rico. 

We were going to walk around for a few hours and go back to the ship to eat since I have a sensitive stomach, but this place sounds very interesting!  Is it easy to find?  If we do stay to eat, I'd like to try the local cuisine. The reviews are great btw!

Hi. We made an afternoon and evening stop in San Juan last week. We went to El Jibarito. 280 Calle Sol. Quite good. Seemed that most patrons were locals. We had shrimp mofongo. DH is very into food and he loved this place. Thanks to everyone on these boards for recommending it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/21/2020 at 2:54 AM, trucker den said:

Stop telling people about punta de vista! That hidden gem needs to stay hidden. JK it’s the best. Green gos across the street has a 5 dollar margarita special while you wait for a table. 

Sadly, this restaurant has permanently closed, effective 2020, according to their sm page

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Right on the little town square up the hill you will find Cafe Puerto Rico...I have tried them all and I can assure this place is the real deal. FYI...little bit of a qualifier...my wife is Puerto Rican.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 12:39 PM, Marylandteachergirl said:

Sadly, this restaurant has permanently closed, effective 2020, according to their sm page

I know...very sad indeed. We'll be cruising out of San Juan in March 2022 and more than likely many of our favorite restaurants may be gone.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 2:13 AM, Ashland said:

I know...very sad indeed. We'll be cruising out of San Juan in March 2022 and more than likely many of our favorite restaurants may be gone.

We are supposed to sail from SJ in Dec., 2021.  I have my doubts if cruises will have resumed by then, but all we can do is wait and see.  I agree, many of our previous favorites may have closed.  😞

On 9/12/2021 at 12:09 PM, Marylandteachergirl said:

We are supposed to sail from SJ in Dec., 2021.  I have my doubts if cruises will have resumed by then, but all we can do is wait and see.  I agree, many of our previous favorites may have closed.  😞

We too are have doubt if we will sail out of San Juan In December. 

• 1 month later...