Should we expect OBC from travel agent?

njpln

We are new to river cruising.   We are used to getting some token OBC from our travel agents when ocean cruising,  in addition we to what we usually get from the cruise line..  But on this, our first river cruise, with  Viking, which the TA pushed, we did not get anything from the TA or Viking.  Mind you, we booked a suite, so we are thinking she got a handsome commission and would have given us something since we didn’t gat anything from the cruise line...

The nice thing is that there are not so many expenses on board, but we might have used it for an optional excursion or for the gratuities.  

What at is considered normal for river cruising? 

Thanks for input..

Norma

In our experience, you don’t always get OBC from your TA. The last Viking River Cruise we booked through our TA a couple of years ago, we got OBC. As we had never used a TA before, we were pleasantly surprised to receive this benefit. Fast forward to this year - we booked another cruise for next spring through the same TA. This time no OBC was offered. When we asked about it, she said it all depends on Viking and they weren’t offering any at the time. There was a happy ending, though. We received an email from Viking for  Explorer Society members (repeat customers) offering OBC, so we were able to take advantage of that offer. 

If you don't always get a rebate from your TA [out of their commission, not just a pass-through from the cruise line], you haven't found the best ones yet.  Keep asking onboard [since you can't ask here on CC].

• Like 2

My river cruises have all been on Uniworld, and I had trouble spending the OBC from my TA.  One cruise I bought 2 pairs of earrings from the gift shop just to use it up.  

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My TA always offers me OBC but I request a rebate check instead – it costs them the same, and I'm free to use it any way I want.

Didn't know you could do that.  Thanks for the tip.

41 minutes ago, Roz said:

Didn't know you could do that.  Thanks for the tip.

You can't always - depends on where the money comes from, right? 😉

[our last river cruise, our TA gave us a rebate and prepaid gratuities. I think the same for our next cruise, which is an ocean cruise. But our last ocean cruise -would have been the first cruise with this "new" TA - I think we might have had some OBC as well. Same agent - three different cruise companies - so I make no assumptions]

2 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

You can't always - depends on where the money comes from, right? 😉

[our last river cruise, our TA gave us a rebate and prepaid gratuities. I think the same for our next cruise, which is an ocean cruise. But our last ocean cruise -would have been the first cruise with this "new" TA - I think we might have had some OBC as well. Same agent - three different cruise companies - so I make no assumptions]

My TA is upfront. On my Crystal River cruise, she indicated that the OBC came from AMEX.

I do expect something. I have not booked with Viking but they have very strict rules about discounting off the top. I believe they can provide OBC. I think some secretly provide a check to the client after the cruise as their discount.

I will always take cash over OBC. I could not spend a cent of my OBC on Crystal as there was not much to spend it on (no store and all my excursions and tips were included).

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My TA always offers me OBC but I request a rebate check instead – it costs them the same, and I'm free to use it any way I want.

This is a secret way of getting around the no discounting. Some agents will do this.

My TA gives me a 15% discount that comes off the price of the cruise along with any Avalon discounts and Globus Journeys discount. We've only sailed with Avalon, so I don't know if the same discount is offered for other cruise lines.

I think it is reasonable to expect a consideration from a Travel Agent. The one we use offers a small amount of OBC, that varies over time, but for us the big payoff is we get extra airline miles, and often get bonus miles - double, triple, or more - for our booking. This amounts to quite a good value for us, as we are organized to maximize our miles. In fact, for our April Viking cruise booking we are receiving miles with a market value of over $1,500. In my opinion it is not necessarily all about OBC, but rather what value is offered to the particular traveler, so I encourage each to learn what considerations are available in the marketplace, and select the one of most value to them.

And just to underscore my preference for miles - we have just returned from a trip to England, flying in business one way and first on the return, paid for with miles. And we are not globetrotters or high-rollers, we just have organized ourselves to maximize the miles we get from ordinary activities.

Photo of my DW is from our return flight.

IMG_9016.JPG

Edited by What was that?

49 minutes ago, What was that? said:

I think it is reasonable to expect a consideration from a Travel Agent. The one we use offers a small amount of OBC, that varies over time, but for us the big payoff is we get extra airline miles, and often get bonus miles - double, triple, or more - for our booking. This amounts to quite a good value for us, as we are organized to maximize our miles. In fact, for our April Viking cruise booking we are receiving miles with a market value of over $1,500. In my opinion it is not necessarily all about OBC, but rather what value is offered to the particular traveler, so I encourage each to learn what considerations are available in the marketplace, and select the one of most value to them.

And just to underscore my preference for miles - we have just returned from a trip to England, flying in business one way and first on the return, paid for with miles. And we are not globetrotters or high-rollers, we just have organized ourselves to maximize the miles we get from ordinary activities.

Photo of my DW is from our return flight.

Two of the airline programs I follow and used last year for Business Class seats have drastically changed their programs which makes miles even less desirable for me. Checking for air next year has been disappointing in these programs.

I will take cash from an agent any day over miles.

24 minutes ago, Coral said:

Two of the airline programs I follow and used last year for Business Class seats have drastically changed their programs which makes miles even less desirable for me. Checking for air next year has been disappointing in these programs.

I will take cash from an agent any day over miles.

Excellent point, Coral. A reminder for all to keep re-evaluating the value received, as change is inevitable - to say nothing of the promotional deals...