Internet by the day

karinad

We'll be cruising in a couple weeks and I'm trying to decide on an internet package. I'll be in a cabin alone, so I might have extra time on my hands. I chocked when I seen the rate for the packages! I probably waste most of my time on FB, so if I just go with unlimited social media and maybe just buy internet when I need to check email. Can internet be purchased by the day and if so, what's the rate? Do they run any specials once your on board? Thanks!

Look at the difference in price of the unlimited social media package vs. the unlimited internet (with or without streaming).  Then divide that difference by the number of days of your cruise.  It may be better off to just to with the unlimited internet package from the start if you check email often, since the wifi can be slow.  Pay as you go is 99 cents/minute I believe, so it adds up quickly.

Or supplement with onshore wifi, though it does take some planning and time out of your day to find the free/cheap wifi.

9 hours ago, Pduaime said:

You could find a someplace with free WiFi when you're in port to check your email.   I'm hoping I can make my 250 minutes stretch my full 12 days doing that.  It'll be a challenge.

YES most definitely a Challenge !

Checking your email or simple internet functions - be prepared for the seahorse (oceanic pony express) speed via

Morse code eating away at any precious internet package.

Unless you are doing a transatlantic transpacific cruise with zero port calls - simply wait as others have commented

to use some free internet service from i.e. Starbucks Tim Horton - there is usually a few within hailing distance of

where the ship docks. On those long haul cruises then use the internet service sparingly - hopefully you snared a

bargain deal with 250 minutes of free time or are platinum with a bare bones 30-60 minutes of free time (long enough to read about 3 or 4 emails).

Don't forget to LOG-OFF or your time will be gone in flash !

Good Luck - your mission should you decide to accept it - - - (Impossible)

Only way around this is to purchase one of the Unlimited packages - then no worry about running

out of time !

Edited by don't-use-real-name

We have a 12 day Panama Canal. I think that there will be, including private island days, about 7 that we'll be pretty much on the ship. I think that I'll do the unlimited internet without the streaming and not have to worry about logging off or slow internet. That's so stressful! I'll have to just suck the high price up and drink less!

I appreciate your input! Thank you!!!

2 hours ago, karinad said:

We have a 12 day Panama Canal. I think that there will be, including private island days, about 7 that we'll be pretty much on the ship. I think that I'll do the unlimited internet without the streaming and not have to worry about logging off or slow internet. That's so stressful! I'll have to just suck the high price up and drink less!

I appreciate your input! Thank you!!!

Remember. When using “free” internet, assume that everything you are sending and receiving will be captured and sold to identity thieves. Keep it to social media you don’t care about. There is nothing “free”. 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Remember. When using “free” internet, assume that everything you are sending and receiving will be captured and sold to identity thieves. Keep it to social media you don’t care about. There is nothing “free”. 

Always good advice to not trust it! I never do banking when I'm away or off my home internet.