What is with all the Technical Difficulties with Princess

compozer

Starting two weeks ago, there has been so many times I can't get online.    and this past week has been even worse.  Companies all want us to go paperless but when you need to check on something, their computers are often down.

we're having technical difficulties

We apologize for any inconvenience and will be back shortly.

For immediate assistance:

North America: 1-800-774-6237

United Kingdom: 0344 338 8663

Australia: 1300 551 853

New Zealand: 0800 780 717

Hong Kong: (852) 2952-8088

Singapore: 65 69226788

5 minutes ago, compozer said:

Starting two weeks ago, there has been so many times I can't get online.    and this past week has been even worse.  Companies all want us to go paperless but when you need to check on something, their computers are often down.

we're having technical difficulties

We apologize for any inconvenience and will be back shortly.

For immediate assistance:

North America: 1-800-774-6237

United Kingdom: 0344 338 8663

Australia: 1300 551 853

New Zealand: 0800 780 717

Hong Kong: (852) 2952-8088

Singapore: 65 69226788

Right!   Two weeks ago for my cruise Princess had sent an email that gave directions to the cruise port. We always forget which freeway to take so we clicked on the email and received a message that they were having technical difficulties.  Luckily I had sent a screenshot of that to a friend so she was able to send me the directions.  I didn’t save the screenshot because I had the email and all I need to do was click on the link, LOL.  Also, the website was out at 4:30 this morning for a few hours.  Ocean ready is still down. 

Well now I can login to the personalizer and access booking information, but yet can't check airfare pricing on the site.  Someone else mentioned this in an earlier post, but just wish they would fix everything before putting site back up for access.  It is especially frustrating with a new offer starting to add to existing bookings.  I thought Carnival's site was bad 🤣, but guess they are all connected lol.

Yes, I have been having problems with EZAIR for two days.   I have a flight for next June but they are high and I check a couple times a day for a discount - but it won't show flights 

I have a cruise coming up in a month and booked flights the first day available - the prices have only gone up.   So book early.

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

What is that big red thing sticking out of his ear???

Reminds me of something I saw online that was funny and true...I'm paraphrasing, but: The banana is no longer the food item most closely resembling a phone. The Pop-Tart is.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, compozer said:

I just read that the wildfires are close to headquarters so maybe their electricity has been turned off.  

What kind of a company would not have a disaster recovery site, ready to swap in, in such a situation?

It might also because because they’re currently doing massive software updates and changes to their platform. If you go to the App Store and look under the developer of the MedallionClass™, go to their site you’ll see they’re developing these apps and connectivity for three different cruise companies, same parent co.

I always find it amusing, seems like any company with fan forums somewhere, there's always people complaining about the fact that the company's website doesn't always work.  Try taking a look at the folks doing disney trips sometimes if you want to see people complain about problems with websites.  (And if you look in the Royal Caribbean forums, there's probably people complaining there too, and I honestly think there's a lot on their system that's truly worse than the Princess ones.)

The reality is these systems are pretty complicated, and it's not all that hard to break them.  And in general, as soon as you release something to the public, they'll find some way to break it, regardless of how good a job you thought was done putting it together.  If you never let the public in, it'd work prefectly (but not be very useful as a result).  There's a lot of components from a lot of different places (including a number of things that aren't necessarily completely under the control of Princess) for everything to work properly.

14 hours ago, pablo222 said:

What kind of a company would not have a disaster recovery site, ready to swap in, in such a situation?

Before she retired my wife used to work for a grant writing company in Paradise, California. You know... Where the Camp Fire devastated over 90% of the town? Each night someone pulled the hard drive with the company info and put in a replacement drive. The person then took the drive home for safe keeping. The entire freaking town burned. The office with one drive and the residence (quite far away) with the other drive both burned. The resident of the house barely escaped alive. Sometimes backup plans don't work as expected.

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

Before she retired my wife used to work for a grant writing company in Paradise, California. You know... Where the Camp Fire devastated over 90% of the town? Each night someone pulled the hard drive with the company info and put in a replacement drive. The person then took the drive home for safe keeping. The entire freaking town burned. The office with one drive and the residence (quite far away) with the other drive both burned. The resident of the house barely escaped alive. Sometimes backup plans don't work as expected.

Interesting...  My employer installed a safe in my home.  Each day I took two tapes from two servers home with me.  Both backup tapes went into the safe and two other tapes came out to be installed into the servers the next day.  There were always a weeks worth of backup tapes in the fireproof safe in my home.  Today the servers are backed up into the cloud.

Just because Princess is headquartered in Santa Clarita, CA, doesn’t means that their data center is also located there. CA real estate is rather expensive, power is stupidly expensive (national average is 13.31 cents per kWh and I pay a minimum of 29c here in San Diego), plus the ground tends to be a little shaky at times, so places like Phoenix, AZ, Denver, CO and Kings Mountain, Al are more likely spots to host a data center. Cheaper power, less chance of a natural disaster and cheaper real estate and labor.  

I have no idea where Princess hosts their datacenter(s), but I know I wouldn’t pick anything anywhere near the Los Angeles area.

• Like 1