The Pacific could be a roller coaster...

msmayor

On 10/23/2019 at 12:24 AM, Sue from Canada said:

My mum and I have been in some pretty good storms and while I love rough seas she doesn't.  She puts on her sea bands after the life boat drill and has never been sick (our first cruise she didn't have them and she was sick for three days.  She told me on day four after finally being able to exit the cabin that she didn't care if the ship sank and would never take another cruise.  However, three years later she took another cruise to Alaska and the waters were so calm).  Now she's done nine (she turned 95 last month).

Wonderful I admire your Mom.  LOL, she didn't care if the ship sank!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, my husband and I took a live aboard dive boat from FLL to the Bahamas.  There were very bad storms and my husband kept on waiting for the water to come in our cabin.  We had a fab time though. Our twin beds kept on sliding back and forth...LOL.  Our families must have been sailors in our past because we never get sea sick.😁

11 hours ago, ridealot58 said:

Where do you get these sea bands and what are they thanks

They work based on acupuncture.  Hit a pressure point in your wrist to aid in balance and nausea.  

They are available everywhere - CAA/AAA, Walmart, amazon, etc.  Here’s a screen shot from amazon.com

21A1DBA9-0CF5-4DFE-8F89-294C1377BEC0.thumb.png.f586967029158e5accd9d6c40a44c0b5.png

On 10/22/2019 at 7:19 PM, CabinForOne said:

I was on the 4 day segment of this cruise (Vancouver to San Diego).  The first two days at sea were quite rough.  The outside decks were closed to passengers.  I heard mention of gale force winds.  The first night it was hard to sleep due to the creaking, groaning, and shuddering of the ship.  At times, we were all walking like, well..., drunken sailors.  I had a great time, though, and enjoyed the Eurodam. Thanks to the captain and crew for a fine job.

Bill

Bill - very true.  The first evening and first full sea day were indeed rough.  Winds were a 7 on the beaufort scale according to the Captain (near gale, 32-38mph) and if I recall correctly the seas were running 13-15ft.  The sea bands helped a little, but still needed to spend most of the day lying down (we had a Lido Cabana so was very comfortable).  My husband was fine with just ginger pills.

I did try to make it to Gala Night - fully dressed and ready to go, but just couldn't get there.  I dosed up with Meclizine from Guest Services and was in bed by 8:30.  Husband took advantage of the in-room movies while I slept.  By morning I was fully recovered.  From then on, the seas were fine and was able to really enjoy the cruise.

Weather for the remainder was really gorgeous - sunny and warm.  We were treated to a beautiful lightening show in the distance as we sailed from Mazatlán through the evening.

Edited by msmayor

6 hours ago, msmayor said:

Bill - very true.  The first evening and first full sea day were indeed rough.  Winds were a 7 on the beaufort scale according to the Captain (near gale, 32-38mph) and if I recall correctly the seas were running 13-15ft.  The sea bands helped a little, but still needed to spend most of the day lying down (we had a Lido Cabana so was very comfortable).  My husband was fine with just ginger pills.

I did try to make it to Gala Night - fully dressed and ready to go, but just couldn't get there.  I dosed up with Meclizine from Guest Services and was in bed by 8:30.  Husband took advantage of the in-room movies while I slept.  By morning I was fully recovered.  From then on, the seas were fine and was able to really enjoy the cruise.

Weather for the remainder was really gorgeous - sunny and warm.  We were treated to a beautiful lightening show in the distance as we sailed from Mazatlán through the evening.

I'm sorry you were laid low by the rough seas and missed the Gala Night.  My cabin was down on the Main Deck which probably helped.  So glad you enjoyed the remainder of your cruise.  On the third day when the seas calmed and the sun came out, there were a lot of smiling faces.  The promenade deck was filled with people finally able to get outside and enjoy the sun.  Did you enjoy the food on the ship?  I thought it was variable - some very good, some not so good across the various restaurants on board.

On 10/27/2019 at 5:54 PM, CabinForOne said:

I'm sorry you were laid low by the rough seas and missed the Gala Night.  My cabin was down on the Main Deck which probably helped.  So glad you enjoyed the remainder of your cruise.  On the third day when the seas calmed and the sun came out, there were a lot of smiling faces.  The promenade deck was filled with people finally able to get outside and enjoy the sun.  Did you enjoy the food on the ship?  I thought it was variable - some very good, some not so good across the various restaurants on board.

Fortunately we were on for the Mexico segment right after, so enjoyed two other Gala nights later on.  I really felt bad for my husband - he was looking forward to it.  I was all dressed and ready to go - but said I just wanted to go to Guest Services, get some  meclizine and go to bed.  He was my hero though and got me back to the stateroom, grabbed some dinner in the Lido on his own and came back.  

We enjoyed all of our meals on the ship but didn't go to any of the specialty venues.  We've done Pinnacle Grill before and chose to skip it.  I really disliked the location and lack of ambiance at Canaletto so didn't see the need to spend money there.  As for Tamarind, I know there are those that rave about it but I am not a fan of seafood and most Asian dishes so it would not have been a good fit for me.

We love Dive In and always had good food there.  Selections from the Lido were fine, but we mostly grab salads or sandwiches at lunch and my husband is an omelet guy at breakfast.  Boxed cereal for me - can't really mess that one up.

Perhaps the one mild disappointment was New York Pizza.  I've had better on RCL  We went just once for the 11 days.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 8:21 AM, sevenseasnomad said:

Since Bonine doesn't cause drowsiness and works well for most people, we prefer it over other remedies.  BTW, the generic brand at Wal Mart works as well for us.  But a passenger has to take it before feeling nauseous.  Regardless of the forecast, we take the first dose at lunch on embarkation day.  Each dose is good for 24 hours.  If seas are rough or likely to become choppy, we continue the dosage.  Never had any problem.  Nothing worse, I've been told, of dealing with seasickness when a person should be enjoying the cruise.

I hope whatever remedy you decide upon, it works well for you, so you delight in being at sea.

I also use Bonine.  I take 1/2 tablet at bedtime the night before the cruise, 1/2 with breakfast, and 1/2 at either dinner or bedtime after we sail.  It's good to have it in your system 24 hours before sailing.  

1 hour ago, msmayor said:

Fortunately we were on for the Mexico segment right after, so enjoyed two other Gala nights later on.  I really felt bad for my husband - he was looking forward to it.  I was all dressed and ready to go - but said I just wanted to go to Guest Services, get some  meclizine and go to bed.  He was my hero though and got me back to the stateroom, grabbed some dinner in the Lido on his own and came back.  

We enjoyed all of our meals on the ship but didn't go to any of the specialty venues.  We've done Pinnacle Grill before and chose to skip it.  I really disliked the location and lack of ambiance at Canaletto so didn't see the need to spend money there.  As for Tamarind, I know there are those that rave about it but I am not a fan of seafood and most Asian dishes so it would not have been a good fit for me.

We love Dive In and always had good food there.  Selections from the Lido were fine, but we mostly grab salads or sandwiches at lunch and my husband is an omelet guy at breakfast.  Boxed cereal for me - can't really mess that one up.

Perhaps the one mild disappointment was New York Pizza.  I've had better on RCL  We went just once for the 11 days.

I agree with you about about the Dive In.  Delicious food and friendly service.  The Pinnacle Grill was ho-hum.  I was with family and we enjoyed Tamarind - lots of courses to share and excellent service.  BTW - I read many reviews (including yours) about the cabanas, so reserved one for my upcoming Mexico cruise on Oosterdam.  Thx!

On 10/13/2019 at 11:21 AM, sevenseasnomad said:

Since Bonine doesn't cause drowsiness and works well for most people, we prefer it over other remedies.  BTW, the generic brand at Wal Mart works as well for us.  But a passenger has to take it before feeling nauseous.  Regardless of the forecast, we take the first dose at lunch on embarkation day.  Each dose is good for 24 hours.  If seas are rough or likely to become choppy, we continue the dosage.  Never had any problem.  Nothing worse, I've been told, of dealing with seasickness when a person should be enjoying the cruise.

I hope whatever remedy you decide upon, it works well for you, so you delight in being at sea.

I also take Bonine the first day of the cruise and if I'm on a land tour that has a lot of bumps and winding roads.  Funny that it was banned in Canada.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:50 PM, Sue from Canada said:

I also take Bonine the first day of the cruise and if I'm on a land tour that has a lot of bumps and winding roads.  Funny that it was banned in Canada.

I don’t think it is banned in Canada.  A travel pharmacy still provides it.  I just buy mine in the U S as it is cheaper. 

I also find find I can take it when I start feeling off and it works for me.

why is it always gala night?

Edited by bennybear