The Pacific could be a roller coaster...

msmayor

Just looking at some wave predictions for the Pacific Ocean as we leave from Vancouver on Tuesday to sail to San Diego and then on to Mexico.  It's looking like a fairly large system is making it's way east to the coast, and the predictions are for 10+ ft seas.  Hope my ginger pills and sea bands do the trick!

• Like 1

You might consider packing some alcohol prep pads also. Find them in the pharmacy section of Walmart and the like. Sniffing rubbing alcohol can reduce or get rid of nausea. A medscape article some time back showed a dose of 2 whiffs every 15 minutes. This article shows other dosing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6189884/

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

You might consider packing some alcohol prep pads also. Find them in the pharmacy section of Walmart and the like. Sniffing rubbing alcohol can reduce or get rid of nausea.

I found a ready supply in the infirmary when I needed the pads for something. No charge. 

58 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I take Bonine along for when the ginger and sea bands aren’t enough.  It works quickly to take away the nausea and it is once a day and non drowsy.

Since Bonine doesn't cause drowsiness and works well for most people, we prefer it over other remedies.  BTW, the generic brand at Wal Mart works as well for us.  But a passenger has to take it before feeling nauseous.  Regardless of the forecast, we take the first dose at lunch on embarkation day.  Each dose is good for 24 hours.  If seas are rough or likely to become choppy, we continue the dosage.  Never had any problem.  Nothing worse, I've been told, of dealing with seasickness when a person should be enjoying the cruise.

I hope whatever remedy you decide upon, it works well for you, so you delight in being at sea.

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

You might consider packing some alcohol prep pads also. Find them in the pharmacy section of Walmart and the like. Sniffing rubbing alcohol can reduce or get rid of nausea. A medscape article some time back showed a dose of 2 whiffs every 15 minutes. This article shows other dosing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6189884/

Would huffing on my double Belvedere martini do the same trick?

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Yep, under the right conditions, the Pacific can be scary -- especially in October. The roughest seas I ever encountered were on Radiance of the Seas, returning to San Diego from Cabo San Lucas (Halloween cruise).

And, while I don't normally get seasick, I never cruise without Trader Joe's ginger mints and Bonine ('cause you just never know!😱 )

8 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Pay attention to the huge typhoon that hit the Tokyo area in the last two days.  Westerdam was supposed to dock in Yokohama yesterday coming from Vancouver.  

I wonder if that is what is causing the prediction.  The wave predictions about a day or two behind us are in the 15-20' range

Thanks for all your suggestions.  My sister suggested something called Nauzene, a chewable non-drowsy remedy.  I didn't realize Bonine was also non-drowsy...that's the one thing I want to stay away from which is why I won't use the Dramamine.

I'll prepare as well by grabbing some packaged saltines from the Lido right after we embark, as well as a green apple or two.  That always does the trick for me.  I recall one cruise to Bermuda where the seas were fairly rough the first full day out of NY - I ate a green apple for dinner on formal night!  But it did the trick.

• Like 1

Rough seas are a pretty interesting thing. I've sailed the North Sea when everyone said it would be terrible and it was smooth as glass. I've been in the Caribbean and had the ship pushed over to a 20 degree list because of crosswinds. In the morning the bang of the swells on the hull would create a dull reverberating thud accompanied by a distant sound of clinking glassware. I usually hate turbulence in the sky but for some reason I enjoy moderately rough seas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Since Bonine doesn't cause drowsiness and works well for most people, we prefer it over other remedies.  BTW, the generic brand at Wal Mart works as well for us.  But a passenger has to take it before feeling nauseous.  Regardless of the forecast, we take the first dose at lunch on embarkation day.  Each dose is good for 24 hours.  If seas are rough or likely to become choppy, we continue the dosage.  Never had any problem.  Nothing worse, I've been told, of dealing with seasickness when a person should be enjoying the cruise.

I hope whatever remedy you decide upon, it works well for you, so you delight in being at sea.

This is very true about the necessity to take the Bonine before it's needed.  One can even take it the night before and wake up refreshed and ready for what is coming.  I usually can't go on smaller boats, but took a Bonine the night before an early whale watching trip and had a wonderful time.

I don't mind it, as long as I can spend time outside.  I subscribe to the idea that if you can get fresh air and see the horizon, it isn't bad.  We have an aft balcony so I can stay out of the wind, so with a good book and some snacks I'm sure it will all be good.

• Like 1

OP-we almost took this cruise since we live in Vancouver but our first grand baby needs a visit from us in another province!  So we decided to do that then do Mexico in late November from San Diego  on the Oosterdam.  

Hope the seas are calm for you and the others.  Pacific coast is unpredictable.  Good luck! 

I hope things calm down but I fear there won’t be time by Tuesday.  😞

With luck, it won’t last long.  I hope things are not as bad as predicted  @msmayor

And hope you have a decent sailing and a very enjoyable cruise.  That typhoon is the worst in 50-60 years, sadly.

Now, I am crossing my fingers for next year 🤞as we will be in Japan around this time.

DH swears by green apples now and crackers along with his gravel ginger and, if necessary, the ship’s seasick meds available at the front desk.  They do make you sleepy though.

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Pay attention to the huge typhoon that hit the Tokyo area in the last two days.  Westerdam was supposed to dock in Yokohama yesterday coming from Vancouver.  

I have been thinking about Westerdam's arrival in Asian waters with this news.  I would think that her guests will have some experiences to share.

5 hours ago, Aquahound said:

As a former Coastie, I would LOVE seas like that.   But I know I'm weird when it comes to things like that.  Best wishes for a good cruise to you. 😊

Not one who has served in the USCG (and thank you very much for your service for our Country), but when I cruise, I prefer to know that I am "at sea" and not "at a land-based resort".

During my Asia Pacific cruise on the Volendam in 2002, King Neptune was having many bad days and we, on the good ship Volendam, experienced it.  How bad was it?  The Chief Engineer was injured due to the rough weather and had to be removed when we were near Dutch Harbor.  This cruise remains my #1 favorite cruise and the weather conditions we encountered throughout the cruise added to that memory. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 5:42 AM, msmayor said:

Just looking at some wave predictions for the Pacific Ocean as we leave from Vancouver on Tuesday to sail to San Diego and then on to Mexico.  It's looking like a fairly large system is making it's way east to the coast, and the predictions are for 10+ ft seas.  Hope my ginger pills and sea bands do the trick!

I was on the 4 day segment of this cruise (Vancouver to San Diego).  The first two days at sea were quite rough.  The outside decks were closed to passengers.  I heard mention of gale force winds.  The first night it was hard to sleep due to the creaking, groaning, and shuddering of the ship.  At times, we were all walking like, well..., drunken sailors.  I had a great time, though, and enjoyed the Eurodam. Thanks to the captain and crew for a fine job.

Bill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CabinForOne said:

I was on the 4 day segment of this cruise (Vancouver to San Diego).  The first two days at sea were quite rough.  The outside decks were closed to passengers.  I heard mention of gale force winds.  The first night it was hard to sleep due to the creaking, groaning, and shuddering of the ship.  At times, we were all walking like, well..., drunken sailors.  I had a great time, though, and enjoyed the Eurodam. Thanks to the captain and crew for a fine job.

Bill

Such sea conditions are what I enjoy.

• Like 3

My mum and I have been in some pretty good storms and while I love rough seas she doesn't.  She puts on her sea bands after the life boat drill and has never been sick (our first cruise she didn't have them and she was sick for three days.  She told me on day four after finally being able to exit the cabin that she didn't care if the ship sank and would never take another cruise.  However, three years later she took another cruise to Alaska and the waters were so calm).  Now she's done nine (she turned 95 last month).

Edited by Sue from Canada
  • Like 2