NCL BLISS - Unlimited Drink Package - NYC

funfamilytime

Hi Friends,

Someone told me that leaving out of NYC, when you board, your drink package won't work until you are out to sea.  That you will be charged for your drinks if once you board you decide to get a few cocktails.

Is this true?   Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Not true at all.  However, until you are out at sea you will have taxes on those drinks.

I will find out for myself in one week, but it seems to me that the package was sold and taxes were applied in advance. I can see them taxing drinks bought without the package but since the package is only being used, not bought, maybe there is no extra tax? When you go to get a drink on the UBP, is that considered "selling" you a drink?

Does not matter much as it would be like a buck a drink or something, and only until 5:30 or 6 PM when the ship is out to sea, but I am curious.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, salty dingo said:

I will find out for myself in one week, but it seems to me that the package was sold and taxes were applied in advance. I can see them taxing drinks bought without the package but since the package is only being used, not bought, maybe there is no extra tax? When you go to get a drink on the UBP, is that considered "selling" you a drink?

Does not matter much as it would be like a buck a drink or something, and only until 5:30 or 6 PM when the ship is out to sea, but I am curious.

There is a 20% gratuity added to the beverage package. It is not a tax. You will be charged the NYC sales tax of 8.875% on drinks as long as the ship is in local waters

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, suometar said:

There is a 20% gratuity added to the beverage package. It is not a tax. You will be charged the NYC sales tax of 8.875% on drinks as long as the ship is in local waters

Good point on gratuity vs. tax. So, for UBP do they hand over a receipt showing the tax until out of local waters? Then after that there is no receipt required because there is no charge at all?

Anyone know if there is any such tax in Bermuda's waters?

1 minute ago, salty dingo said:

Good point on gratuity vs. tax. So, for UBP do they hand over a receipt showing the tax until out of local waters? Then after that there is no receipt required because there is no charge at all?

Anyone know if there is any such tax in Bermuda's waters?

Nope, no receipt. However, the tax will show up on your account. I don't recall being charged a tax on drinks in Bermuda when we were there last year.

Just now, suometar said:

Nope, no receipt. However, the tax will show up on your account. I don't recall being charged a tax on drinks in Bermuda when we were there last year.

Correct.  No in port tax for drinks in Bermuda.

Edited by ColeThornton

FYI, I just watched the Escape sail from the NYC webcams. She untied at 4 on the dot. Looks like the statue of Liberty was about 35 - 40 minutes later. The bridge was around 5:15 or so, and past state waters around 6 at the latest. It was a blast watching knowing next week when this happens, we'll be on her!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, funfamilytime said:

Wow, very interesting.  What about ports in orlando, Bahamas, and the private island?

Do they charge tax when your there too?

I have the UBP.

thanks.

No tax in the Bahamas or Great Stirrup Key. I think you meant Port Canaveral not Orlando, but I don't recall if the drinks were taxed. I do recall having to pay tax on our drinks when leaving out of Miami, however.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, funfamilytime said:

Wow, very interesting.  What about ports in orlando, Bahamas, and the private island?

Do they charge tax when your there too?

I have the UBP.

thanks.

We were charged in port Canaveral when we were on a cruise that left there, so I'm sure you'd be charged. 

• Thanks 1

Funny, when we were on MSC -- no taxes but we were in the YC, so no cards to be swiped, just ordered and handed the drink.

I know about the tax (sucks for the over-night in PC) but not sure why they can't do like MSC YC.

Is it the same in NCL Haven? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, xcell said:

Funny, when we were on MSC -- no taxes but we were in the YC, so no cards to be swiped, just ordered and handed the drink.

I know about the tax (sucks for the over-night in PC) but not sure why they can't do like MSC YC.

Tax is charged regardless of your stateroom

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, xcell said:

NCL charges it to every passenger. 

It's less about not charging you and more about the way they do the accounting. The ones that don't charge you have it baked into the costs somewhere vs spelled out like NCL does it. Royal doesn't charge sales tax either - but does that mean they and MSC bake it into the cost of the drinks that are the same cost throughout the cruise? Do they just add another $5 onto the cruise fare and charge everyone that? I have no idea, but make no mistake the state is getting their sales tax from the other cruise lines somehow. 

16 hours ago, suometar said:

No tax in the Bahamas or Great Stirrup Key. I think you meant Port Canaveral not Orlando, but I don't recall if the drinks were taxed. I do recall having to pay tax on our drinks when leaving out of Miami, however.

Pretty sure the Bahamas starting charging a VAT tax on beverages in Nassau and GSC a few years ago

4 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Pretty sure the Bahamas starting charging a VAT tax on beverages in Nassau and GSC a few years ago

Not since this past August when we were in both ports and enjoyed several adult beverages.

Edited by suometar
typo