THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

Just for informational purposes here is what my concierge could and couldnt do on our upcoming cruise.  Just note I requested in a much nicer way.  Below is just for brevity.

1.  I asked to disembark first due to our early flight.   ----  No problem

2.  Change time of 2 specialty dinners from 7 PM to 6 or 6:30       -------  Could do 1 but not the other

3.  Asked if we could do waterfront dining on any 1 of the 4 specialty dinners we have---- no, we need to ask when we check in with restaurant host.

4.  Asked to get reservations for any of the comedy club acts -- not at this time - go to Haven concierge after boarding to get a reservation.

I also sent my Butler request email but no reply so I will print them out like OP did once and hand it to him/her.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ravenjls said:

Just for informational purposes here is what my concierge could and couldnt do on our upcoming cruise.  Just note I requested in a much nicer way.  Below is just for brevity.

1.  I asked to disembark first due to our early flight.   ----  No problem

2.  Change time of 2 specialty dinners from 7 PM to 6 or 6:30       -------  Could do 1 but not the other

3.  Asked if we could do waterfront dining on any 1 of the 4 specialty dinners we have---- no, we need to ask when we check in with restaurant host.

4.  Asked to get reservations for any of the comedy club acts -- not at this time - go to Haven concierge after boarding to get a reservation.

I also sent my Butler request email but no reply so I will print them out like OP did once and hand it to him/her.

Good job on the communication.  I will make you a bet.  The bet is One Manhattan at the Haven Bar.  When you get on board, the other specialty restaurant will be fixed.  

On the other items, the Beatles review and the Comedy Acts are always first come, first served.  

The butlers note is always live, they never know which butler will be assigned to you.  

The Waterfront, part of our bet above, that will be no issue.  We did it for one of the specialty restaurants and it was to hot and humid.  It really depends on the night and weather.  Best to ask for the night you want when sailing.  Just my two cents. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Good job on the communication.  I will make you a bet.  The bet is One Manhattan at the Haven Bar.  When you get on board, the other specialty restaurant will be fixed.  

On the other items, the Beatles review and the Comedy Acts are always first come, first served.  

The butlers note is always live, they never know which butler will be assigned to you.  

The Waterfront, part of our bet above, that will be no issue.  We did it for one of the specialty restaurants and it was to hot and humid.  It really depends on the night and weather.  Best to ask for the night you want when sailing.  Just my two cents. 

The waterfront depends on whether they are doing it at all or not. They didn’t have ANY waterfront dining on any night of our last cruise on the Breakaway. We were very disappointed.

11 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

Could someone explain the pillow menu?

Basically they give you a list of pillows.  There are hypo-allergenic, overfilled firm, climarelle, ultra foam, and the elusive reading wedge which I've asked for maybe 20 times and never received.  LOL!  You pick which, if any, you want.  You can get these in addition to the standard ones on the bed.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, goldmom said:

Basically they give you a list of pillows.  There are hypo-allergenic, overfilled firm, climarelle, ultra foam, and the elusive reading wedge which I've asked for maybe 20 times and never received.  LOL!  You pick which, if any, you want.  You can get these in addition to the standard ones on the bed.

Thanks.  Is this done in advance or on the day of embarkation?

I would love to sail in the Haven, but I inquired what the cost would be to upgrade from my Mini-Suite to the cheapest Haven suite (the forward front suites) and it was more than double my current cost.  As must as I wanted to, I could not justify that cost upgrade.  Someday, after the wife and I retire perhaps.  Or some special sale or upgrade comes our way.

2 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

Thanks.  Is this done in advance or on the day of embarkation?

The information should be in the letter from the pre-cruise Concierge and you can give them your requests, which may or may not make it to the ship.  If you don't see the pillows in the cabin, then ask the butler for them.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

I would love to sail in the Haven, but I inquired what the cost would be to upgrade from my Mini-Suite to the cheapest Haven suite (the forward front suites) and it was more than double my current cost.  As must as I wanted to, I could not justify that cost upgrade.  Someday, after the wife and I retire perhaps.  Or some special sale or upgrade comes our way.

I fully understand.  Here is a good strategy.  Wait until you get an upgrade offer just before your cruise. It is usually kind of like asking for a bid.  You get to bid anything over their minimum bid.  I would bid low vs. high.  I think the initial cruises will be low occupancy and it will have lots of Haven rooms available.  Remember, I don't have a Crystal Ball.  Worth a shot anyway.  Cruise well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

it depends onthe ship and the type of suite. the epic from san juan jan 23,2022 has a spa suite for about $3200 per person. they are about double the price of a club suite, but a world of difference

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

I fully understand.  Here is a good strategy.  Wait until you get an upgrade offer just before your cruise. It is usually kind of like asking for a bid.  You get to bid anything over their minimum bid.  I would bid low vs. high.  I think the initial cruises will be low occupancy and it will have lots of Haven rooms available.  Remember, I don't have a Crystal Ball.  Worth a shot anyway.  Cruise well.

Was hoping they would do that for the Encore which leaves in 3 days, but no dice.  Not sure if they are sending those out on these reduced capacity ones or not.  I was going to ask for a "tour" of the Haven just so I could try and get the wife excited about it.  We really like the Explorer Lounge so the Encore Haven's personal Explorer area up front would have been spectacular!

19 minutes ago, complawyer said:

it depends onthe ship and the type of suite. the epic from san juan jan 23,2022 has a spa suite for about $3200 per person. they are about double the price of a club suite, but a world of difference

My 4k + total would have been over 8k for those Front Haven rooms.  Nice but a bit to rich for me. Spa Suites are not the Haven from what I understand, just Spa access Mini-Suites.  Alaska cruising just costs a bit more, but we like it as we can just drive to Seattle or take the train to Vancouver.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Was hoping they would do that for the Encore which leaves in 3 days, but no dice.  Not sure if they are sending those out on these reduced capacity ones or not.  I was going to ask for a "tour" of the Haven just so I could try and get the wife excited about it.  We really like the Explorer Lounge so the Encore Haven's personal Explorer area up front would have been spectacular!

My 4k + total would have been over 8k for those Front Haven rooms.  Nice but a bit to rich for me. Spa Suites are not the Haven from what I understand, just Spa access Mini-Suites.  Alaska cruising just costs a bit more, but we like it as we can just drive to Seattle or take the train to Vancouver.

no, there are haven spa suites. they are usually the lowest priced, but  they are in the haven complex, and you get all the amenities that some with the haven

1 minute ago, complawyer said:

no, there are haven spa suites. they are usually the lowest priced, but  they are in the haven complex, and you get all the amenities that some with the haven

Thanks, you are correct.  They are the ones that have the spa tub in the corner.  They were more expensive than the forward ones when I was looking at upgrades a few months ago.  

21 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

There are "Spa Suites" and Haven "Spa Suites".  The Haven "Spa Suites" have a Jacuzzi style tub next to the bed.  They are usually not in the Haven Courtyard so some folks feel a bit disconnected.  I did not, no problem for me.  Most important they come with access the the Spa on the ships thermal spa area. I found the suite to be a little tight but nice.

This was the first Haven Suite I every stayed in.  I found it on a fluke.  The price was right so I grabbed it.  I think prices will be high for a couple of years so those days might be gone.

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

There are "Spa Suites" and Haven "Spa Suites".  The Haven "Spa Suites" have a Jacuzzi style tub next to the bed.  They are usually not in the Haven Courtyard so some folks feel a bit disconnected.  I did not, no problem for me.  Most important they come with access the the Spa on the ships thermal spa area. I found the suite to be a little tight but nice.

This was the first Haven Suite I every stayed in.  I found it on a fluke.  The price was right so I grabbed it.  I think prices couldl be high for a couple of years so those days might be gone.

Same here. Originally on our first NCL cruise  we were in a balcony but then I saw that the Haven spa had dropped and the difference was about £500pp. That seemed a lot but it means we got all the free at sea package, the spa passes and access to the haven. It was a no brainer.

Prices go up but they do sometimes they do go down. I am always looking for that next cruise in the haven for a price I am happy with as I believe it's worth it. But there's also times when I know it's too expensive so I wait. Everyone has a price, a value. Pay what you think it's worth. But not any higher.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 8:14 PM, pbenjamin said:

Could someone explain the pillow menu?

Someone already explained the choices so I won't bore you with doing it again. But my hubby swears by the cooling climarelle pillow. He tends to overhead and that was a godsend for him.

I've never managed to get the reading wedge, but I keep asking every trip. I'll let everyone know in 23 days if I get it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are very considerate of others (it is our motto "think of others first") and will be traveling with two other couples on the NCL Joy Haven (February 2022).  With our past cruises the specialty dining options was such that we have only ate  three dinners in the Haven over four cruises.  I even remember eating at Haven for early dinner before the show and eating at Le Bistro after show.  With only getting two specialty plus another two being platinum we will be eating three nights in the Haven  Is it unreasonable to ask seating for six for every time we eat at Haven for dinner?

16 minutes ago, Ironmikereith said:

My wife and I are very considerate of others (it is our motto "think of others first") and will be traveling with two other couples on the NCL Joy Haven (February 2022).  With our past cruises the specialty dining options was such that we have only ate  three dinners in the Haven over four cruises.  I even remember eating at Haven for early dinner before the show and eating at Le Bistro after show.  With only getting two specialty plus another two being platinum we will be eating three nights in the Haven  Is it unreasonable to ask seating for six for every time we eat at Haven for dinner?

It is just fine to ask for seating for six.  Just remember, the Haven Restaurant is first come, first served.  I only had to wait for a seat once in all my travel however with six, it a wait might be a possibility. I hope I answered your question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ironmikereith said:

Is it unreasonable to ask seating for six for every time we eat at Haven for dinner?

It's no problem at all. What you could do is give either the restaurant or the Concierge a call about 5 minutes before you arrive. This will give the restaurant time to setup for your group so there will be no waiting when you arrive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

It is just fine to ask for seating for six.  Just remember, the Haven Restaurant is first come, first served.  I only had to wait for a seat once in all my travel however with six, it a wait might be a possibility. I hope I answered your question.

Question:  How are the serving sizes in the Haven restaurant?  I had weight reduction surgery about a year ago.  I've found that very small serving sizes are best for me now.  A typical dinner entre is about three or four meals for me now.

21 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Question:  How are the serving sizes in the Haven restaurant?  I had weight reduction surgery about a year ago.  I've found that very small serving sizes are best for me now.  A typical dinner entre is about three or four meals for me now.

Rocket, great question and you are asking the right person.  My wife had LapBand years ago and my daughter had the sleeve.  You can ask for half portions.  They will accommodate you with a smile.  The portions are nice but not over the top.  I find the quality much better then the MDR by far. On another note, I have my wife order the normal portion.  That way I get a little of hers.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 9:37 AM, Sthrngary said:

Hello, I am the Op-Ed.  On the drink package, wait until you get on board.  Let me give you an example.  Five people in my party, in the Haven, Premium Drink Package goes to everyone, I paid the tips like everyone else so same thing here.  Here was my issue, two of the five wanted the Premium Plus Drink Package.  Online or pre-cruise, all five had to get it.  However when I get onboard, I can get them to give it to my wife and I only.  How do I know?  I have an email from one of the executives assistance confirming this fact.  That was good information.

The issue with NCL and every other cruise brand is they are locked by their own computer program.  To make an alteration takes an act of congress.  I am glad you were able to use the OBC pre-cruise for what you could.  Cruise well.

Thank you for this little golden nugget of info!  We are sailing on the Epic in The Haven in November-  who do I speak with once I am onboard to upgrade my package?  I am the only person in my party who wants to actually upgrade.

6 minutes ago, caitlynambrai said:

Thank you for this little golden nugget of info!  We are sailing on the Epic in The Haven in November-  who do I speak with once I am onboard to upgrade my package?  I am the only person in my party who wants to actually upgrade.

All me to be clear on what I did.  I reached out to the Haven Pre-Cruise desk.  Somehow I got the assistant to the President on an email  He said to go to the Haven desk on the ship when you get on.  This may or may not work so allow me to be transparent.  I saved this guys email to me so I had a copy.  

Please reach out to the Haven Desk and ask. Make sure you mention you understand it can't be done until you get on board.  Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Rocket, great question and you are asking the right person.  My wife had LapBand years ago and my daughter had the sleeve.  You can ask for half portions.  They will accommodate you with a smile.  The portions are nice but not over the top.  I find the quality much better then the MDR by far. On another note, I have my wife order the normal portion.  That way I get a little of hers.  

Thanks for the information, it answered my questions.  I had the sleeve about 18 months ago.  My step son and his wife will be travelling with us and she had the sleeve about 10 months ago.  I've lost eighty pounds.   I'm amazed at how much I used to eat compared to what I eat now.  I've found that a dessert plate is about the right size.

• Like 1