THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

32 minutes ago, complawyer said:

just a little warning. a few years back, we booked the forward facing penthouse suite on the getaway while we loved the room and the entire ship, every morning when it docked, we could hear the anchor being lowered. at 6 am this was extremely annoying

May I ask what deck you were on?

The "gift" I was thinking would be "Seattle Centric", something from Starbucks, Amazon gift card, Boeing Trinket, or a space needle key chain.  This would be in addition to a cash gratuity for great service.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, gardening_guy said:

The small gift for the butler at the beginning sounds like a great idea.  But what to give? Not knowing if it’s a guy or gal, it makes it harder.  Chocolate perhaps.😀

I once watched a YouTube video of a cruise ship employee.  The title has long since disappeared from my memory.  The employee was doing a video of his living accommodations.  The room was about the size of a studio stateroom, but had two people living in it.  Space was at a high premium.  The employee specifically addressed gifts and commented that given the space limitations and the fact they were there to make money that he would rather have cash, if a gift was in the offing.  Just passing along what I saw on a YouTube video.  As always, to each his own. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ecco41 said:

I booked the Deluxe Owner's Suit on Encore for my late August Trip to Alaska from Seattle.  As we are not "sophisticated drinkers"  I just accepted the "free at Sea" offer for the beverage package for the 3 of us that simply requires us to pay the "gratuities".  I did this so we didn't worry about what and when we might want to have a drink in the Haven or anywhere on the ship.  Thanks to this Message Board, I was  also made aware of, and have requested the Three Bottles of liquor that are included with the DOS.  It also appears I can bring bottles of wine from my cellar on board and pay a $15 corkage fee (which is far less than the price of a premium wine on board)?  

What I am confused with is what non-alcoholic drinks are included in the "adult beverage package" (not the Premium Plus package) and whether fresh squeezed juices, Vitamin Water (or energy drinks) soda's, extra bottle water are included either with the DOS or the adult beverage package?  Some of the posts seem to suggest bottled water is an extra charge, a soda package might be need to include soft drinks, or fresh squeezed juices are not generally offered (maybe they are available in the Haven)?  I recall that mixers are included with the bottles in the DOS, but might I be out of line to request the Butler to stock the room with Vitamin Water and juices, of can I request a bottle water or energy drink while wandering the ship as I leave for an excursion?  I certainly don't mind paying for non-alcoholic drinks or I could simply get creative and order a Rum and Pepsi, but ask the bartender to hold the Rum 😉    

I have never sailed on Norwegian and only been on Three Cruises in my life, so I don't have much experience with what to expect and where to get the information.  One of the other Posts mentioned tipping the Butler early in the stay.  I like that.  I was also thinking of just a small gift in the beginning to set the relationship.  

Darn you, I was in #18100 on the Encore "Three Cancellations ago".  You are going to have a GREAT TIME.  OK, here is the deal.  Hit or miss on the water bottles.  You should have some in your room thought.  Remember, you are in the DOS after all. (I hate you, LOL) The Haven Restaurant has fresh orange juice.  As you indicated the butler will replenish your soda's.  Where the issue is, at restaurants outside of the Haven Restaurant all bets are off. Energy drinks, you might have to pay for them however I would ask your butler and see what happens.  It is a Mixer, isn't it.  I hope all that makes sense. Cruise well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

This is a very, very important point.  I hope others read your post.  I have had butlers on NCL, Celebrity and soon to be Crystal Cruises.  They are all NOT MADE THE SAME.  This gave me a challenge to come up with a solution.  When I did, I had a much better result from this notion of Hit/Miss butlers.  Yet, when I share my solution, I have taken so much heat on social media that I have hesitated to bring it back up.  Today I am in a feisty mood so what the heck.  Let the mean comments begin.

There are two examples I have heard today that I am addressing.  The first was yours about the Butler not accommodating you on food.  The second was a person with a Haven Two Bedroom Family Villa being told no to an egg crate mattress toper for the second bedroom.  On both of these situation, I have gotten no pushback on the food issues.  My wife and I were on Keto on the last cruise, we explained what that meant and the butler when over the top to accommodate us.  We asked for the egg crate mattress toper for the couch on another cruise, it was handled without asking a second time.  

Now what do I do that is so controversial.  I write a letter to my butler pre-cruise and give it to them on day one.  If I can't find them when I enter my room, I call the Haven Desk and ask them come come by at soon as they are available.  In the letter I am kind, understanding and clear.  I never demand anything.  I ask extremely nicely.  Every item above plus Water for My CPAP and much much more.  

THEN, here is comes, get ready for it.  I put $150.00 ($100.00 is fine, I give more because I choose to)  in the envelope so they get part of their tip upfront. I learned that the Butlers do not participate in the "Pre-Cruise Gratuities" we add in when we book.  I talked to many butlers whom in the nicest why possible told me, their guest many times leave note even knowing that.  So they get no tip.  This made me begin this practice.  From that day forward, every single butler was stellar.  Not one exception.  ALSO, every time I tell this story I get hateful comments on folks rules for tipping an gratuities.  

The other thing I have found out is the Butlers on the bigger ships seem to be more accommodating then those on the smaller ones.  That is why I rarely will have a Haven Suite unless it is a bigger ship with a dedicated Haven Restaurant and Bar.  Just my two cents.  All of you get to do what you want to do and I promise I won't criticize it. Cruise well everyone.

You are alway on point! Great advise! 

04DB0BD9-F386-4A85-B4D5-81CD3E4151F4.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gardening_guy said:

The small gift for the butler at the beginning sounds like a great idea.  But what to give? Not knowing if it’s a guy or gal, it makes it harder.  Chocolate perhaps.😀

Phone cards are also popular. Staff cant always get to shore to buy long distance phone cards and really appreciate them.

• Like 4

i count myself as one of the lucky  ones. i have never had a bad experience with a butler on any of my ncl cruises for the past 6 years not counting 2019, 2020,when i didnt cruise. trhey have always been bright, cheerful and extremely attentive.

i always give the butler $100 at the end of the cruise, but i dont think they should be tipped at the beginning. i do give the cabin steward $20 on the very 1st day, $20 in the middle of the cruise and another$20 at the end

My first cruise ever we booked the DOS on the Epic.  We were having so much fun In the beginning and were so happy  that I tipped our butler ( I can’t remember if it was the first night or second, it was only a four night cruise).  And then I never saw him again.  Now maybe he got sick or something but it was a little odd.  Other butlers brought our snacks and room service from that point on..  We still had an amazing time and have been hooked on cruising and the Haven ever since.  Since then, I tip at the end.  So yes we did have an odd experience tipping in the beginning of the cruise.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the tips and advice, but weighing the pros and cons, I've decided to stay put in the "mini-suite" (which isn't really a suite..lol).

If the bedding wasn't an issue and if the courtyard was enclosed...those would have been big pluses.  As far as "food"...DH and I love the NCL buffet.  I took a look at the new Haven menus, and there's really just about nothing on them that I would eat so we'd end up in the buffet anyway.

We'll probably get spa passes.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Thanks for all the tips and advice, but weighing the pros and cons, I've decided to stay put in the "mini-suite" (which isn't really a suite..lol).

If the bedding wasn't an issue and if the courtyard was enclosed...those would have been big pluses.  As far as "food"...DH and I love the NCL buffet.  I took a look at the new Haven menus, and there's really just about nothing on them that I would eat so we'd end up in the buffet anyway.

I completely respect your decision.  You and your spouse know exactly what you like and enjoy.  You did what we all need to learn to do.  Due Diligence and take our vacation planning very seriously.  You are welcome to visit this stream when every you have a question.  The power of CruiseCritic is questions, opinions, answers and education.  Cruise well.

• Like 1

even if you've decided to stick with the mini,  im sure you'll have a great time. until that one fateful day when we got the proverbial "offer i couldnt refuse", we always booked a mid ship mini suite, and had a great time. 

i believe the fun is in the actual cruise itself, regardless of cabin. we've met people staying in the inside cabins, and they had a ball.

so in the immortal words of me (complawyer) have a great time and of course BON VOYAGE!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 8:20 PM, Sthrngary said:

The answer is sometimes.  When you check into the Haven Port Lounge, they give you a Simulated Leather card holder that can hold your room card or your license.  You get the idea.  When  you get to the Haven Desk on-board. Sometimes they have Lanyards and sometimes they don't.  My first Haven sailing, I brought one of those Lanyards where the card goes in to plastic.  I did not work because you have to show your card, out of the plastic for every drink. I learned to have the Haven desk put a hole in the card and bought my own Lanyard with a clip on the bottom.

A little Haven Bar Tip for a Bonus.  Watch the YouTube Haven Bartender making a Smoking Manhattan.  It is AWESOME!!!!  Have great time.

Manhattans are my favorite.  I'll have to ask for a smoked one in Mar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

even if you've decided to stick with the mini,  im sure you'll have a great time. until that one fateful day when we got the proverbial "offer i couldnt refuse", we always booked a mid ship mini suite, and had a great time. 

i believe the fun is in the actual cruise itself, regardless of cabin. we've met people staying in the inside cabins, and they had a ball.

so in the immortal words of me (complawyer) have a great time and of course BON VOYAGE!

Thank you.....

Honestly, the price I could have gotten the Haven for was "a price I couldn't refuse" kind of a price.  But, DH and I just wouldn't have enjoyed it...probably would have ended up "eating things and doing things" just because we paid for them. 

Those "few thousand dollars" not being spent on the upgrade have already been earmarked for a "overpriced bauble" in the overpriced jewelry store.....so it's a win/win!

• Like 1

Thank you.....

Honestly, the price I could have gotten the Haven for was "a price I couldn't refuse" kind of a price.  But, DH and I just wouldn't have enjoyed it...probably would have ended up "eating things and doing things" just because we paid for them. 

Those "few thousand dollars" not being spent on the upgrade have already been earmarked for a "overpriced bauble" in the overpriced jewelry store.....so it's a win/win!

personally, i like the idea of priority boarding while everyone else is waiting. while that's a minor +, having the concierge get us off the ship and to the luggage within 15-20 minutes is the clincher for me. you're correct, that we hardly ever use the pool, but i disagree about the haven restaurant, the lunch is so-so, but the breakfast is amazing.  i do utilize the butler service, i have him bring a pot of coffee and hot water for tea every morning at 7, along with sweet rolls, muffins and croissants. in the afternoon i ask him to bring a tray of cheese, crackers and assorted meats,

sometimes, after an arduous day of shore excursions, i just sit back, relax on the balcony and have him bring an ice cold beer. such are the joys of a haven, but i was always happy as a clam when we were in the mini suite. i confess, we got spoiled.

again, regardless of cabin choice,  have a great time, and hopefully we can meet on a mutual cruise. if so, the 1st drink is on me

a few years ago we were on the epic and coming out of the buffet. the floor had just been washed and the sign was hidden. my wife  slipped, and did serious damage to her back and shoulders. ruined the rest of the cruise, and the few extra days post cruise we were staying in barcelona. since then, she's a little gun shy about going up to the buffet, so the haven and the butler service is of major importance to us.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, complawyer said:

personally, i like the idea of priority boarding while everyone else is waiting. while that's a minor +, having the concierge get us off the ship and to the luggage within 15-20 minutes is the clincher for me. you're correct, that we hardly ever use the pool, but i disagree about the haven restaurant, the lunch is so-so, but the breakfast is amazing.  i do utilize the butler service, i have him bring a pot of coffee and hot water for tea every morning at 7, along with sweet rolls, muffins and croissants. in the afternoon i ask him to bring a tray of cheese, crackers and assorted meats,

sometimes, after an arduous day of shore excursions, i just sit back, relax on the balcony and have him bring an ice cold beer. such are the joys of a haven, but i was always happy as a clam when we were in the mini suite. i confess, we got spoiled.

again, regardless of cabin choice,  have a great time, and hopefully we can meet on a mutual cruise. if so, the 1st drink is on me

a few years ago we were on the epic and coming out of the buffet. the floor had just been washed and the sign was hidden. my wife  slipped, and did serious damage to her back and shoulders. ruined the rest of the cruise, and the few extra days post cruise we were staying in barcelona. since then, she's a little gun shy about going up to the buffet, so the haven and the butler service is of major importance to us.

Sorry about your wife.

I had breast cancer almost 6 years ago.  BC (before cancer) I ate "whatever" and I looked it.  My hospital afforded me dietician services, and thanks to a wonderful dietician I learned how to eat correctly (and shed 45 lbs too).  The best thing about the buffet is that I can create my own healthy meals and the portions I want.  On NCL the buffet options are limitless.  Because of this, I don't worry about falling off the wagon. 

I've seen the Haven menus.  The food may be delicious....but, just not for my lifestlye.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, complawyer said:

my wife is also a breast cancer survivor, just finished radiation treatment about 6 weeks ago. she's just psyched out about going into the buffet.

but i do appreciate your position. still, have fun!

I get it.  My husband stumbled and fell about a month ago.  No damage...he's more careful.

Well wishes for your wife....tell her "the hard part" is over.

• Like 1

Shame on you @Sthrngary - this thread just made me book a Haven room on Bliss. I have a booking on her for December and reluctantly booked a mini suite (or whatever we are calling them these days) as I wasn't prepared to put down the deposit needed for Haven when I'm not 100% convinced it will sail (or if we can sail since I have a kid too young to get vaxxed). IF it goes and we can sail I fully plan on upgrading to Haven. However, I just put down the deposit for a 2023 sailing in Haven - that one is sure to go, right? I just don't know that I can sail any other way now....

For the Haven gurus... let's talk pillow menu. We were offered this in the DOS on the Jade, but not in a 2BR on the Epic. Is it ship dependent? Cabin dependent? Depends on the concierge?

Hubby loved the cooling pillow as he tends to overheat at night while I'm freezing my knickers off. If I emailed the concierge now for our Encore trip next month, is there a possibility of getting that cooling pillow for him?

45 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Shame on you @Sthrngary - this thread just made me book a Haven room on Bliss. I have a booking on her for December and reluctantly booked a mini suite (or whatever we are calling them these days) as I wasn't prepared to put down the deposit needed for Haven when I'm not 100% convinced it will sail (or if we can sail since I have a kid too young to get vaxxed). IF it goes and we can sail I fully plan on upgrading to Haven. However, I just put down the deposit for a 2023 sailing in Haven - that one is sure to go, right? I just don't know that I can sail any other way now....

I am completely ashamed of myself.  I hold myself, Completely accountable.  Enjoy.  Cruise well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

For the Haven gurus... let's talk pillow menu. We were offered this in the DOS on the Jade, but not in a 2BR on the Epic. Is it ship dependent? Cabin dependent? Depends on the concierge?

Hubby loved the cooling pillow as he tends to overheat at night while I'm freezing my knickers off. If I emailed the concierge now for our Encore trip next month, is there a possibility of getting that cooling pillow for him?

I would not call myself a Guru, however I was on the Getaway, November 2019.  I was in a Haven Spa Suite.  We had a pillow menu.  The fact that you did not have one in a Haven 2 Bedroom family villa is surprising.  You gave the answer to your question.  That is definitely something I would ask for pre-cruise and when you get a response, safe it and bring on the ship.  I hope I helped.  Cruise well.