What to wear in the evening?

Maui rats forever

Here we go again.  No disrespect intended. I asked a similar question and it started quite a brouhaha. My advice is dress like you are going to dinner at a nice restaurant on land. Enjoy your cruise.  The Mexican cruises are a lot of fun.  

Edited by joeyancho
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Here we go again.  No disrespect intended. I asked a similar question and it started quite a brouhaha. My advice is dress like you are going to dinner at a nice restaurant on land. Enjoy your cruise.  The Mexican cruises are a lot of fun.  

Sorry I didn't mean to cause a problem here.

3 hours ago, Jolee Marie said:

How do the women dress in the the evening ?  Dresses,shorts or Jean's?  We're  going on the Joy Departing Dec. 1.

For what it’s worth Mrs Gut wore either a dress or tailored trousers and top.

• Like 1

NCL is an informal cruise line. Think more "going out to dinner at a nice local restaurant" rather than "meeting Queen Elizabeth" even for the fancier Le Bistro and Manhattan restaurants. If you want to get more dressed up you can do so, and if you don't then you don't have to. 

I'm putting together my wardrobe for my January Mexican Riviera cruise and am thinking of getting this dress to wear at dinner. Add sandals and a pretty necklace, and that's fine. In Alaska, I wore tailored trousers, a long-sleeve t-shirt, and a colorful silk scarf draped around my shoulders when I dined at Le Bistro; some patrons that evening were more casual, others were more dressy. The rest of the time, I wore nice jeans and long-sleeved t-shirts to dinner, no worries. 

• Like 2

To the OP

Dresses, dressy( long length ,not Daisy Duke’s ) shorts and jeans - all are ok.

On the Breakaway, My DH and I had dinner at Cagney’s. Across the way from our table, a man and his son were dressed in cargo shorts with t shirts with slogans on them.  Freestyle.

My DH wore dress slacks and a long sleeved button down shirt. I wore  dressy slacks and a dressy tunic. That’s just what we do for dinner.

In other words, don’t be too concerned about “evening wear”. What coastcat outlined is good advice. 

6 hours ago, coastcat said:

I'm putting together my wardrobe for my January Mexican Riviera cruise and am thinking of getting this dress to wear at dinner. Add sandals and a pretty necklace, and that's fine. In Alaska, I wore tailored trousers, a long-sleeve t-shirt, and a colorful silk scarf draped around my shoulders when I dined at Le Bistro; some patrons that evening were more casual, others were more dressy. The rest of the time, I wore nice jeans and long-sleeved t-shirts to dinner, no worries. 

Love that dress. :)

I like NCL and the freestyle cruise atmosphere. However, I don't like going to restaurants that on land would have a dress code and it not being required at sea.  I don't have a problem with shorts and tee shirts. Even at dinner when you are in an appropriate setting. I know it is freestyle so it isn't criticism that some are comfortable being more casual. I do like that dressing formal isn't required. It makes packing easier. We dress like we are going to dinner on land. Everybody has a different opinion of casual so wear what  you want and you will be fine.  

Edited by KAYKAY121

No problem OP.....sounds like this will be your first NCL cruise.  NCL is known for its casual atmosphere.  All suggestions you've seen so far are good ones.  You'll see people dressed in gowns, and you'll see people dressed in shorts and blouses.  Key is to dress however you feel most comfortable.  You're not forced to wear anything "formal", ever.

Also kind of depends on where you're cruising from and to.  If you're cruising out of  the Atlantic piers in December, you're likely to want to dress more warmly, at least until you get further south where it's warmer.

If you're sailing out of the Pacific Piers (given you're from San Jose), you'll be able to get away with more casual, warmer climate fare (although, the Bay Area seems to be prone to wet and chilly weather whenever I'm there in the Winter).

Not just pointing a finger at any particular gender or group, but I have to say I’ve seen girls/women in what they described as “gowns”, which were so short, and so tight, I thought the outfits were more suited for a stripper than a gown.  I’ve seen this more on other cruise lines that have specific, scheduled “formal” dinner evenings.

12 hours ago, Jolee Marie said:

Sorry I didn't mean to cause a problem here.

I blame NCL. If they would only put something on their website about what to pack and/or wear you wouldn't be put in the position to even have to ask such a question. Totally their fault.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

I blame NCL. If they would only put something on their website about what to pack and/or wear you wouldn't be put in the position to even have to ask such a question. Totally their fault.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack?cid=PS_TSI_GENERIC_GEN_GOO-g_LEN_SRH___aud-394908862990:dsa-112401137825&kwid=9017494&anchor=NA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3tGVkeyt5QIVFsRkCh0UvABrEAAYASAAEgJClfD_BwE

What clothes should I pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Be sure to pack a sweater — the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Ready for Adventure: Shore Excursions

Think about the shore excursions you'll be taking and pack accordingly, including comfy walking shoes. For kids and adults it's good to pack a pair of closed-toed shoes. You can check within the specific shore excursion for more information.

Special Events: Theme Nights and Parties

Our newest event, Norwegian's Night Out, is the perfect opportunity to get dressed up for an evening of cocktails, fine dining and great entertainment. You may also want to pack an all-white ensemble for our iconic White Hot Party.

11 hours ago, coastcat said:

NCL is an informal cruise line. Think more "going out to dinner at a nice local restaurant" rather than "meeting Queen Elizabeth" even for the fancier Le Bistro and Manhattan restaurants. If you want to get more dressed up you can do so, and if you don't then you don't have to. 

The dress looks comfy.   Exactly how I want to feel.  I was on a Princess cruise many years ago.  In the evening most woman were in fancy dresses and heals.  Thank you for the reply.

4 hours ago, yearsofcruising said:

Tommy Bahama mostly ( shirts n slacks ) ; maybe dress jeans. Wife mostly in Chico's outfits and a little Tommy B. thrown in.

We mostly wear crap at home , except out to dinners..

Can't tell you're a bit of a Tommy Bahama fan.  My husband ( Andy) will be in Hawaiian shirts most of the trip.  See you on board.

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/what-to-pack?cid=PS_TSI_GENERIC_GEN_GOO-g_LEN_SRH___aud-394908862990:dsa-112401137825&kwid=9017494&anchor=NA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3tGVkeyt5QIVFsRkCh0UvABrEAAYASAAEgJClfD_BwE

What clothes should I pack?

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.

Cruise Casual: the Freedom of Freestyle Cruising

Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants. For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required.

Be sure to pack a sweater — the air conditioning can be chilly. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Please Note: We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

All Decked-out: Smart Casual

Dress smart casual in our more formal dining room or in our more upscale specialty restaurants. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it's jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants.

Ready for Adventure: Shore Excursions

Think about the shore excursions you'll be taking and pack accordingly, including comfy walking shoes. For kids and adults it's good to pack a pair of closed-toed shoes. You can check within the specific shore excursion for more information.

Special Events: Theme Nights and Parties

Our newest event, Norwegian's Night Out, is the perfect opportunity to get dressed up for an evening of cocktails, fine dining and great entertainment. You may also want to pack an all-white ensemble for our iconic White Hot 

Edited by Jolee Marie

17 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Ok now I see what you mean about the Brouhaha.  Someone made sure to point out the page on the website and was a bit sarcastic.  See you on board.