Does Carnival have entertainment shows like Royal Carribean?

xps15z

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Entertainment on Carnival ships is so much more all over the ship than a summer stock off broadway show.  To each their own on appreciating entertainment, bit those who simply say there is no comparison, have a jaded view IMHO.   

We found entertainment all over the ship on RCCL Anthem as well as Carnival Pride and Sunrise.  Anthem had Rock of Ages - a full length show (which we enjoyed but some didn't), but also had shorter shows that were probably more similar to Playlist Productions.  

Both lines have theatre entertainment, pub style entertainment, karaoke, comedians, movies, pool music, atrium (or similar) music, etc.  Carnival doesn't have long productions (over 60 minutes), but their demographic usually doesn't want that (and length was the biggest complaint I heard on Anthem too).  So to answer the OP question - yes and no.

8 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

We found entertainment all over the ship on RCCL Anthem as well as Carnival Pride and Sunrise.  Anthem had Rock of Ages - a full length show (which we enjoyed but some didn't), but also had shorter shows that were probably more similar to Playlist Productions.  

Both lines have theatre entertainment, pub style entertainment, karaoke, comedians, movies, pool music, atrium (or similar) music, etc.  Carnival doesn't have long productions (over 60 minutes), but their demographic usually doesn't want that (and length was the biggest complaint I heard on Anthem too).  So to answer the OP question - yes and no.

So you would agree that the “no comparison” comments are unfounded in your opinion.

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2019 at 8:00 AM, beachbum53 said:

In order for Carnival to keep cruise fares as low as possible for families and those of us in the middle income bracket, Carnival has had to cut corners ( what some refer to as "cutbacks"). Unfortunately, some of those cuts include entertainment. The theater orchestra was replaced by pre-recorded music. On a previous "Behind the Fun" tour, we learned that there is a bit of a turnover for talented singers and dancers. A number of them tend to move on to other cruise lines (or land based theaters) where the pay is better. The Playlist Production shows that many have mentioned typically range between mediocre (at best) to downright awful.  

Yup.  No comparison to Royal Caribbean and NCL!  Even MSC and Disney.  All have superior entertainment and much larger budgets.  The ice skating show on NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS with drones was one of the best shows I've seen at sea.  

3 minutes ago, eroller said:

Yup.  No comparison to Royal Caribbean and NCL!  Even MSC and Disney.  All have superior entertainment and much larger budgets.  The ice skating show on NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS with drones was one of the best shows I've seen at sea.  

Imitation ice capes does sound exciting....😎  Friend, can you point me to the facts on costs?  Would love to see that.

Edited by jimbo5544

The only good redo show I have seen on a cruise ship is Jersey Boys on the Bliss, others are almost embarrassing.  For the record, Broadway is in New York and where real shows take place.  Then they go to traveling companies, and slightly before retirement to RCCL ships.

Edited by jimbo5544

13 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

More context (if I followed correctly).  Theosprey247 answered the question asked in the thread title/first post, but did so without context in the middle of other posts, therefore your "???" Rainbowflag then clarified what the question was that was being answered, but by this point it's easy to forget what the original question was 😉 

Someone was paying attention 🙂 

• Thanks 1

In my opinion there is absolutely no comparison between all entertainment with the exception of the comedy between Carnival and Royal. Royal is far superior in my opinion and I was a long time Carnival cruiser . I went on the Allure and was shocked at how fun and well done the cruise was. I’m not saying I’d never sail on carnival again but my first choice is definitely Royal these days. 

• Like 3

Just now, Midwestgal said:

In my opinion there is absolutely no comparison between all entertainment with the exception of the comedy between Carnival and Royal. Royal is far superior in my opinion and I was a long time Carnival cruiser . I went on the Allure and was shocked at how fun and well done the cruise was. I’m not saying I’d never sail on carnival again but my first choice is definitely Royal these days. 

Carnival used to have great production shows.  Now they are pathetic.  Royal (and other lines) have the full broadway production shows, PLUS original production shows in the theater, original ice skating shows, and original diving shows in the Aqua Theater that no other line offers.  Plus comedy shows, variety shows, etc etc.  Pretty much they have it all.  And no hip hop blasting in the atrium or pool area.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, eroller said:

Carnival used to have great production shows.  Now they are pathetic.  Royal (and other lines) have the full broadway production shows, PLUS original production shows in the theater, original ice skating shows, and original diving shows in the Aqua Theater that no other line offers.  Plus comedy shows, variety shows, etc etc.  Pretty much they have it all. And no hip hop blasting in the atrium or pool area.  

LOL, that is so true. Or from their balconies, not my form of entertainment. 

• Like 2

Playlist are original production shows, not rerun performances of shows from the old days.  

Some people would rather a known entity vs. an unknown show.  Some if going to a theatre prefer a full show vs. 30-45 minutes.

Just because something is original doesn't mean it is better - or worse.  I would still rather see Phantom, Les Mis, etc than "Getaway Island" if I want a high quality show.  If I want a fun diversion then a short playlist might be fine.  Soul bound was interesting on our last Carnival cruise - although it would have been better without the poor sound quality.

The only good redo show I have seen on a cruise ship is Jersey Boys on the Bliss, others are almost embarrassing.  For the record, Broadway is in New York and where real shows take place.  Then they go to traveling companies, and slightly before retirement to RCCL ships.

Do "real shows" not take place in London's West End?  

Short answer - NO!

I like Carnival but I do not cruise with them for their theater productions. To me, they're awful. I avoid the theater most nights. Think community college impromptu theater night. It does not compare to RCCL. PERIOD. POINT BLANK!

• Like 3

Been on 3 Carnival Cruises over the past 16 months.

My wife & I enjoy the shows as wells as the comedy shows.

We go to as many as we can.

Our cruise in May, we had 3 generations, from 80's.

We all enjoyed the shows.

People who want to find fault will find fault....... with anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Some people would rather a known entity vs. an unknown show.  Some if going to a theatre prefer a full show vs. 30-45 minutes.

Just because something is original doesn't mean it is better - or worse.  I would still rather see Phantom, Les Mis, etc than "Getaway Island" if I want a high quality show.  If I want a fun diversion then a short playlist might be fine.  Soul bound was interesting on our last Carnival cruise - although it would have been better without the poor sound quality.

Do "real shows" not take place in London's West End?  

The Londoners would think so, but since we are mostly from the US, I took that path.  From a US perspective there is only one, and We all know where that is. The discussion point is they do not take place on a Royal ship (at least from my perspective).  The real point is that their is entertainment on both lines and whether it is  comparable.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, cynt said:

Short answer - NO!

I like Carnival but I do not cruise with them for their theater productions. To me, they're awful. I avoid the theater most nights. Think community college impromptu theater night. It does not compare to RCCL. PERIOD. POINT BLANK!

Agree 100%. 

• Haha 1

The shows on Carnival have suffered quite a bit. They used to have some type of show every night, music most evenings mixed with a magician or acrobatics. I was just on the Vista for a week and there were 4 shows and 3 "filler" nights with bingo, family feud, and audience lip sync. 

RC has better shows and between the theater and the ice rink, there were good shows every night. 

But the RC Freedom cost me over $3000 Canadian for 3 of us. The latest Vista cruise, with one more kid now, cost the four of us $2400. 

It's disappointing because the shows are something I really enjoy. But I can't justify spending an extra $1000, so I'll continue with Carnival. There's not much else that RC offers in the way of value that would sway me towards them. If the prices were equal, I'd be on RC for the shows. 

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Imitation ice capes does sound exciting....😎  

Our granddaughter wore an ice cape from Frozen like this one for Halloween on the Pride. She had fun but grandpa was more interested in his frozen margarita 🤣

edab205be1be00c372a8319498a58a99.png

Edited by AHS123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, thesmiths said:

Been on 3 Carnival Cruises over the past 16 months.

My wife & I enjoy the shows as wells as the comedy shows.

We go to as many as we can.

Our cruise in May, we had 3 generations, from 80's.

We all enjoyed the shows.

People who want to find fault will find fault....... with anything.

How did they compare to the shows you saw on Royal Caribbean?

13 hours ago, thesmiths said:

5 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I think this thread has gone on long enough. I think the subject is subjective. It’s obvious that those that say the Carnival productions are excellent, have yet to sail RCCL and NCL and view their Broadway caliber shows. I am not saying they are straight from Broadway, only that more goes into these shows, and the talent much higher. With that said (and I have posted this before) Carnival has much better over all entertainment. There is music playing everywhere—-in Red Frog Pub, in the Atrium, in Ocean Plaza, out on deck—and there is always something to do on sea days, like plenty of trivia, tea time, IMAX theater, not to mention the CD activities out on deck and elsewhere. Carnival’s Comedy shows are nearly every night with both PG and R shows, with different material on different nights, so you could go as often as you wanted—WITH NO RESERVATION! And they do have game shows—Love and Marriage, and Quest to name a couple. And then, our favorite, the Dive in Movies out on deck, with free popcorn. As for their Playlist Productions, they are certainly entertaining, just not the caliber of RCCL or NCL. I have viewed CATS on the Oasis, and Million Dollar Quartet on NCL (this one was absolutely fabulous!). My hubby and I have made the decision to cruise exclusively with Carnival for many factors, much more abundant complimentary food as opposed to Specialty restaurants being pushed more so on the other lines, the much more plentiful and varied entertainment and music, and above all, a great value for a great cruise. And we are senior citizens, so value is very important to us. Now, this thread could go on and on forever with people arguing their opinions, sometimes getting nasty and snarky, which is totally unnecessary. The matter is subjective, and there will always be people who believe that Carnival is the “Walmart of the Seas”, which in MY OPINION, is the farthest from the truth. It’s all subjective, people. 

Edited by grandmarnnurse
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I have no idea? Did not mention anything abut RC.

If you are elaborating to my comment about people finding fault. It's the truth.

I'm a positive person.

I went on the Sunrise and had a great cruise.

This was during the period when many on here wanted her to be taken off the coast of New York and used as a reef.

Enjoyed the shows on the Sunrise and My wife and I were asked to be a part of one of the shows.

Free Champagne and A Nice Tuxedo T Shirt!

The shows may not be what they once were? However it is a nice night out with my wife which I don't do much of on land since I am so busy with work!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

The matter is subjective, and there will always be people who believe that Carnival is the “Walmart of the Seas”, which in MY OPINION, is the farthest from the truth. It’s all subjective, people. 

Your entire post had great points and I agree with you.  I do find it interesting how people use Walmart of the Seas for Carnival, when "of the Seas" is always RCCL to me 🙂 

Edited by pacruise804
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thesmiths said:

If you are elaborating to my comment about people finding fault. It's the truth.

I'm a positive person.

This was during the period when many on here wanted her to be taken off the coast of New York and used as a reef.

Enjoyed the shows on the Sunrise and My wife and I were asked to be a part of one of the shows.

The shows may not be what they once were? However it is a nice night out with my wife which I don't do much of on land since I am so busy with work!

Good post, the truth is (without the bashing that some feel the need to express) is that cruising continues t evolve and change.  I really believe that Carnival is gloving their clients what they want.  When main shows were only half full, (and I am talking back in the hey day),  it tells them that their clients want more and more importantly different. 

6 hours ago, thesmiths said:

I'm a positive person.

my reply had nothing to do with your comment about finding fault.

I agree that the time we get to spend with our significant others are very special. I feel the same way as i don't get to see my wife except on weekends.

I was just asking since the thread was asking about comparisons between the 2 cruise lines .

Enjoy your future cruises. 🙂

On 11/7/2019 at 9:33 AM, eroller said:

Carnival used to have great production shows.  Now they are pathetic.  Royal (and other lines) have the full broadway production shows, PLUS original production shows in the theater, original ice skating shows, and original diving shows in the Aqua Theater that no other line offers.  Plus comedy shows, variety shows, etc etc.  Pretty much they have it all.  And no hip hop blasting in the atrium or pool area.  

Been sailing Carnival since 1998 and thought they were bad even back then.

In my opinion Carnival needs to get with the times and start having better entertainment