Roll Call - lacking participation

CRZAHOLIC

The advancement of WiFi on the ships may have something to do with lack of participation.

I have noticed the last few years a lot of  more and more passengers on ships constantly staring at there phones all the time.

Seems many folks are tuning into introverts..

• Like 2

I have signed up for several meet and mingle’s over the years, but they seem to be around 10 am on the first sea day. Part of my favorite thing about vacation is sleeping in, so I’m not in a hurry to get up and make myself presentable for meeting a bunch of new people at 10 AM.  😂.   I have quit signing up for them because I haven’t made a single one.  

I do think that roll calls for cruises with ports that are new to people tend to be more active. Our Asia cruise (celebrity) in February has been pretty active for over a year.   Holiday cruises get very little action in my experience because I’m guessing people are cruising with family and aren’t as interested in meeting new people. 

I also think that people get intimidated or put off by some of the aggressive and/or demeaning responses that occur when someone (often new to this site) asks what to them is a reasonable question.      One good thing about the aforementioned platform (which I don’t like much personally) is that the organizer of the cruise date can choose to delete comments and keep things more on a positive trajectory.   And maybe when our personal info is out there for everyone to see people are less likely to make antagonistic statements. 

• Like 6

RCI always used to have active Roll Calls and well run,  well attended M&Ms. my last few cruises have been the opposite. 

On Princess in April we had an extremely active Roll Call and had 10 full taxis in Bruges and multiple private excursion groups everywhere. 

The Meet and Greet had over 100 attending. 

I think it’s the luck of the draw. You get people that are interested in getting together on the ship and on shore, or the ship might be full of people who make their own plans. 

I’ve periodically checked on my Harmony Roll Call, and there’s very little activity. 

I don't want to go to another site. Cruise Critic has been my home for all things cruise for 19 years! 

• Like 2

We just did a cruise where there were 83 people following the roll call on cruise critic. We still managed to organise a couple of slot pulls, gift exchange and cabin crawl.

There was also a group on the unmentionable website. This had over 1200 following and it grew during the cruise as well. It’s also been very active since the cruise.

I try and maintain both but prefer this site as it seems to be a little more private. 

8 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Unfortunate, since 99% of the TV messages are sales pitches, we don't look at them anymore.

Exactly! Neither do we so we almost missed it! 
Instead of a card invitation , on Explorer it was akin to something printed on a till receipt...!

On 10/28/2019 at 11:36 AM, lovescats5 said:

Our first cruise on Oasis we signed up for Roll Call and Meet and Mingle and it was a bust for us.  Everyone there had cruised way more than we had, were old friends, and all they could do was talk about themselves, how many cruises they had been on, where they were going next, and whatever else they came up with.  There was no greeting to us or anything, it was like we were not even there.  So...last time we signed up for any of that.  Maybe the seasoned cruisers need to be more interested in the newbies.

This is unfortunate, I'm sorry you had this experience.  Personally, I'd rather hang out with the newbies.  Maybe we'll sail together some day 😎

I had also been wondering why my roll call thread was so dead, I have since learned.  It's too bad, I don't use the other site and never will for exactly the reasons already mentioned.  Though I can imagine they are likely more friendly there.  It does make sense.

Edited by Ren1216

It depends.

We were booked for a July 202 cruise.  I started a Roll Call a couple of months ago.  One two others have showed up.  And maybe a total of 7 posts.

Another cruise, for April 2021 has a lot of people checking in, and a good number of posts.

I am not a fan of the other site as there is too much misinformation being passed around!  I do agree that site is one of the reasons CC roll calls are more quiet.  On our last cruise there was a lot of planning for pub crawls, a slot pull, etc but it was all done on that site, those of us on CC were invited to join if we wanted to participate.   I refuse to post on an individual cruise group, so I did not get involved.

Sherri🙂

Edited by sjb317

We have mostly cruised Celebrity and Princess.  We have an upcoming cruise on Harmony (first RCI Cruise in nine years).  We have always found the Roll Calls on Celebrity and Princess to be very friendly and helpful, and the Meet & Mingles to be well attended.  On our current Roll Call for HOTS, it does seem, as was mentioned previously, that it’s largely people who have cruised together before and are trying to reconnect.  When I have made comments there, I mostly get “crickets” in response.  The Roll Call does not seem very welcoming to newbies or infrequent cruisers.  It’s too bad because it’s a great way to meet your fellow cruisers, according to our experience on other lines.