Gratuities (Daily Service Charge) Question

travelingirl70

We just upgraded to the DOS and I was looking through my confirmation.  It is showing daily service charges of $53 per person per day?!?!?!?!  I thought all suites were $18 pp/pd.  Did I miss the fine print here?  This is adding over $1,000 to our cruise and suddenly makes my upgrade not such a good deal.  My TA is out until tomorrow so I won't hear back from her right away.  Thought I would turn to my fellow CC'ers for answers.

This is NOT about tipping the butler and the concierge.... I know that is separate (and extra).  Why would my service charge be 300% higher in a DOS vs a 2BR Family Villa?

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Could some that amount be gratuities on perks such as beverage package and specialty dining package in addition to DSC?  Or have those gratuities been accounted for elsewhere or were perks declined?

Those were already paid separately. 

1 hour ago, phillyguy31 said:

Is this showing up on your pre pay charges in your vacation summary or are you looking elsewhere?

It shows up in the pre-pay section.  Here's what it says exactly.

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $53.14 USD per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $1,488.00 USD for all guests, for your entire cruise. Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax

39 minutes ago, travelingirl70 said:

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $53.14 USD per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $1,488.00 USD for all guests, for your entire cruise. Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax

I gotta be honest.......

.....I doubt that anyone on the forum would be upset if you asked for your DSC to be refunded in this case. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, travelingirl70 said:

Wow, one has to wonder what extra services you’ll get in the DOS for $53.14 ppd!

Just joking; it surely must be a mistake.  I hope you have plenty of time to get it sorted out.

8 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Wow, one has to wonder what extra services you’ll get in the DOS for $53.14 ppd!

Just joking; it surely must be a mistake.  I hope you have plenty of time to get it sorted out.

I do have time, and I figured (or at least hoped) it was an error.  I was worried I missed the fine print somewhere and this was in fact the DSC for the DOS.  I was happy with my cost to upgrade, but not if it was an extra $1k!!!!  My TA is back tomorrow and I'm sure she will get it sorted out for me.

Thanks for the help!

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Wow! Your butler better come out dressed or rather undressed like one of the Chippendale’s every time he’s called for that price!  😆

Its definitely an error!

• 2 weeks later...