2019 tips and secrets

m921759

I thought it would be interesting to aggregate here the most important Holland tips and secrets.

Here are my top tips in "chronological" order:

- You can use OBC to pay for automatic gratuities
- You cannot use OBC to pay for excursions booked before the cruise
- The formal clothes we need if we want to limit packing are, for men : collared shirts and pants excluding jeans
- Holland does the MDR lunch on embarkation, for a more relaxed experience than the buffet
- You can order more than one item from each category on the menu in the MDR (it depends for Pinnacle)
- You can order anything from the MDR menu from room service from any cabin category. Top suites can get the meal in separate services, but other categories get all at once with warmers. (any tips on when to order if you want your meal around 5:30 or 6:30 if it is possible?)
- Behind the scenes tour available for 150$
- DVD player in all staterooms and free DVDs to borrow at Guest services
- Laundry : 3 options 1) unlimited for x$pp/day ; 2) x$/bag ; 3) on Maasdam self service for 2$ wash/1$ dry using quarters you can get at Guest services

- Ask about Master Chef's Table / Cellar Master Dinners for a foodie experience (any current info on the Maasdam would be appreciated).

Any more?

Good day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, m921759 said:

That depends upon the ship. Some ships, the smaller ones, do not have this tour. 

- Laundry : 3 options 1) unlimited for x$pp/day ;

The unlimited laundry is per cabin, not per person. 

Again, it depends upon the ship. Many (most?) of the ships have been converted to an 'on demand' TV system with a large selection of movies and old TV shows, but not as large a selection as the ships that still have a DVD. 

• Like 2

Just now, RuthC said:

That depends upon the ship. Some ships, the smaller ones, do not have this tour. 

The unlimited laundry is per cabin, not per person. 

Again, it depends upon the ship. Many (most?) of the ships have been converted to an 'on demand' TV system with a large selection of movies and old TV shows, but not as large a selection as the ships that still have a DVD. 

Ya just beat me to it 😀😀😀

3 hours ago, m921759 said:

I thought it would be interesting to aggregate here the most important Holland tips and secrets.

Here are my top tips in "chronological" order:

- You can use OBC to pay for automatic gratuities
- You cannot use OBC to pay for excursions booked before the cruise
- The formal clothes we need if we want to limit packing are, for men : collared shirts and pants excluding jeans
- Holland does the MDR lunch on embarkation, for a more relaxed experience than the buffet
- You can order more than one item from each category on the menu in the MDR (it depends for Pinnacle)
- You can order anything from the MDR menu from room service from any cabin category. Top suites can get the meal in separate services, but other categories get all at once with warmers. (any tips on when to order if you want your meal around 5:30 or 6:30 if it is possible?)
- Laundry : 3 options 1) unlimited for x$pp/day ; 2) x$/bag ; 3) on Maasdam self service for 2$ wash/1$ dry using quarters you can get at Guest services

- Ask about Master Chef's Table / Cellar Master Dinners for a foodie experience (any current info on the Maasdam would be appreciated).

Any more?

Good day!

I had heard on past posts that you had to be a mariner to dine at the MDR for lunch on embarkation day. I am not a mariner, but would much prefer this to the buffet on the first day. Especially as the other half uses a wheelchair - any further advice re lunch time on embaraktion day?

2 minutes ago, Sharon Almond said:

I had heard on past posts that you had to be a mariner to dine at the MDR for lunch on embarkation day. I am not a mariner, but would much prefer this to the buffet on the first day. Especially as the other half uses a wheelchair - any further advice re lunch time on embaraktion day?

You no longer are supposed to have to be a Mariner to dine in the MDR on embarkation day.  That can vary from ship based on reports.

The Dive In is another great alternative if you prefer to avoid the buffet.  You can go place your order for both of you and the pager will let you know when it is ready to go and pick up.

38 minutes ago, kazu said:

You no longer are supposed to have to be a Mariner to dine in the MDR on embarkation day.  That can vary from ship based on reports.

The Dive In is another great alternative if you prefer to avoid the buffet.  You can go place your order for both of you and the pager will let you know when it is ready to go and pick up.

Thanks, the dive in sounds a good option if MDR not available... 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Dive-In has a Portabello mushroom "burger" that is scrumptious!

I tried to order it on the Maasdam in May/June and they did not have it although it was on the Dive In menu board.  I was so excited to try it since I had heard it was really good!  I think it may be discontinued.

On the selected ships that have NY Style Pizza, you can have a nice, fresh pizza for lunch, made to your order, with any and all toppings.   Like the Dive-In, you also get a pager to notify you when your personal pizza is ready to pickup.

5 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I tried to order it on the Maasdam in May/June and they did not have it although it was on the Dive In menu board.  I was so excited to try it since I had heard it was really good!  I think it may be discontinued.

Well, boo hoo on that info! The burgers are good, though. Is there a veggie/bean burger for those that don't eat meat?

On 10/29/2019 at 12:28 PM, Sharon Almond said:

I had lunch in the MDR of the Oosterdam the embarkation day of my recent cruise. No requirement to be a mariner.

Edited by cat shepard

6 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

They served it on the Oosterdam during my cruise that just ended Wednesday 11/6.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:28 AM, Sharon Almond said:

Just off the NA recently (Oct 26 sailing) and we did enjoy a nice embarkation lunch in the MDR.  (Thanks to the knowledge people on this board!!)  However, upon entering the MDR the host did ask me if I was a Mariner.  I guess it must vary by ship?