upgrade email

jancl57

25 minutes ago, jancl57 said:

Does everyone who books directly with NCL get an email inviting one to upgrade?  And when does it usually go out?

Thanks

i’m not sure what determines whether somebody gets an upgrade bid invite but it does not matter who you book with. I usually book with a travel agency and I almost always get an invitation to bid from Norwegian Cruise Line.  I can no longer use those invitations because I’m mobility impaired and there’s no guarantee that the room you would get is accessible. So if you are mobility impaired like I am and require an accessible room do not bid! If you do so you could conceivably lose your currently chosen accessible state room and end up assigned to a non-accessible cabin.  once approved and upgrade cannot be canceled.

Just now, Jana60 said:

i’m not sure what determines whether somebody gets an upgrade bid invite but it does not matter who you book with. I usually book with a travel agency and I almost always get an invitation to bid from Norwegian Cruise Line.  I can no longer use those invitations because I’m mobility impaired and there’s no guarantee that the room you would get is accessible. So if you are mobility impaired like I am and require an accessible room do not bid! If you do so you could conceivably lose your currently chosen accessible state room and end up assigned to a non-accessible cabin.  once approved and upgrade cannot be canceled

Thank you.  I've only  booked with a TA and have never gotten an upgrade bid invite. 

54 minutes ago, jancl57 said:

Thank you.  I've only  booked with a TA and have never gotten an upgrade bid invite. 

Some TA participate while others opt out.  People say the program generates calls & emails from clients.  Many people come here to CC with questions, so I can imagine some clients could barrage a TA with questions, too. So, TA’s decided not to deal with it and their clients do not get invited.  Perhaps yours in among them.

No upgrade invite with one big agency, did get one with another agency.

Invites are also driven by how many unsold cabins there are and in what categories.  If all suites and Spa balconies are sold out, there is no sense asking the rest of the Balconies to upgrade...

2 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

No upgrade invite with one big agency, did get one with another agency.

Invites are also driven by how many unsold cabins there are and in what categories.  If all suites and Spa balconies are sold out, there is no sense asking the rest of the Balconies to upgrade...

Unless, of course, that

a) someone in a suite or spa balcony cancelled and then you would already have bids in place to easily and quickly fill the vacancy with the highest bidder...

and

b) obtaining bids from everyone, regardless of cabin availability, provides data that is useful in determining what people are willing to actually pay for the upgrade opportunity....data that costs virtually nothing to obtain.

6 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

This is totally inaccurate. At 80 days out, there will be a lot of churn with inventory and they will always solicit upgrade bids for all classes giving them flexibility to upgrade people as rooms open up. We have cancelled week of cruise twice (giving some lucky persons great rooms).  

Got mine today at exactly 80 days out on my Encore sailing, 1/19/20.

Currently have a balcony on deck 14 and bid for spa balcony and spa balcony mini suite.

I have virtually no status and I booked through NCL online, if that matters.

Made "fair" offers on both and I'm not optimistic. lmao

On 10/29/2019 at 3:29 PM, BirdTravels said:

80 days prior to departure, upgrades are available. 

If you log on to your MyNCL account, the home screen will change to "Let's Get You Upgraded"

image.png.88bec788a255a3c8ebb9db149505fade.png

Great!  Tomorrow will be 80 days prior to my 3 week cruise, so I will be looking for that upgrade bid!!

When we were on the Escape June of 2018, our TA called to see if we wanted to upgrade from a Balcony to a Mini Suite for $75 pp, we took the offer. Not sure if this was from NCL thru TA, or did TA have thier own block of Cabins to fill ?

Question. If you booked thru a TA does your agent have to bid or can you bid yourself?  Who do you pay? And how long does it take for you to know if you are successful?

We got the email and our TA is away for a couple days.

Not sure how "urgent" it is to jump on this or do we have time?  

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Is there any way to "provoke" an upgrade e-mail?

Booked through a TA and we did not receive one although I know that our cruise is not fully booked out and fellow cruisers did receive the upgrade mail.

Asked the TA and he said he can´t do anything as this is centrally driven by NCL and he can´t influence it.

Would it help to call NCL directly and ask? 

Edited by kathbril

On 10/31/2019 at 10:44 AM, bkrickles1 said:

Got mine today at exactly 80 days out on my Encore sailing, 1/19/20.

Currently have a balcony on deck 14 and bid for spa balcony and spa balcony mini suite.

I have virtually no status and I booked through NCL online, if that matters.

Made "fair" offers on both and I'm not optimistic. lmao

Good Luck!  There is no specific evidence that status matters, so your bid may be the winner!  The challenge is that there are only a few spa rooms. For example, if you were bidding from an ocean view to a balcony, there are over 1000 balcony cabins and some will be vacant. There are less than 30 spa balconies and 20 spa minis, so there is a very small number of rooms with a lot of people bidding on them. Just like bidding on a Haven room (only about 80 of those on the ship with 1400 balcony and mini cabins eligible to bid on them). 

1 hour ago, Greenpea2 said:

I am 104 days out and got it today. I’m in the  Haven and every category of Haven suites says sold out so not holding out much hope!

Did you get yours before final payment was due?  Or did you pay in full before final payment due date? 

14 minutes ago, jancl57 said:

Did you get yours before final payment was due?  Or did you pay in full before final payment due date? 

After. My final payment was almost a month ago. To be clear, I paid final payment when it was due. Not before. 

Edited by Greenpea2
  • Like 1