Theme v fancy dress

AmandaLMcL

Hi .... on themed nights the theme has been set by P&O and you can wear costumes to match the theme .... We do although many don't. 

What P&O do not want are groups of people wearing their own non themed fancy dress ... we have witnessed some rather inappropriate costumes being worn by hen parties. 

Hope this helps...  🙃🙃

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Only themed nights I have ever seen is Black & White night or Tropical.

We had a 60s night on Aurora recently, but only saw one lady dressed like Lulu.. 

They are not heavily advertised or encouraged, just a note in Horizon on the day is all we saw. 

Andy 

11 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We had a 60s night on Aurora recently, but only saw one lady dressed like Lulu.. 

They are not heavily advertised or encouraged, just a note in Horizon on the day is all we saw. 

Andy 

Only one lady.That'd make me wanna shout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just so you are aware, the B&W night is a very formal black tie night. Most ladies wear black, white or b&w dresses.  You can’t go in fancy dress as a fresian cow! To be honest none of them are fancy dress per se, they are themes for the evening wear. Tropical night you’ll see some bright shirts and dresses. 60s night you may see no one who looks to be in a 60s dress. 

Edited by Goosebear Mum
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AmandaLMcL said:

confused dot com.....fancy dress  is banned , but theme nights allow 'themed dress'. What is the difference - does anyone have a definitive answer as even P and O staff seem confused when emailed. 

I believe that P&O (in the typical British manner) brought out the sledgehammer to crack the nut. There was I believe, a minor problem concerning stag and hen parties where it became increasingly common for special items of clothing etc to be commisioned for the occasion, often featuring risque images or wording. Harmless fun to many but offensive to others. Rather than target the specific problem and just ban clothing etc bearing sexually offensive wording or images P&O opted to ban fancy dress full stop. A gross overeaction imo.

I suppose - but “fancy dress” feels a bit odd to me.  Why?

Theme nights - tropical and 60s or 70s are the only ones I’ve ever seen - are one thing; people dressed up as random bananas or pantomime horses or gladiators ... well, just why???

I’ve only come across one group - on Marella - wearing Team <surname> polo shirts.  They were a bit noisy - perhaps the “team” thing encourages that?  Haven’t seen - but can imagine - Hen/Stag slogans.  Don’t think I’d like that

Weren’t those groups, and maybe other, similar ones, putting people off booking short cruises?  I think I remember that as the reason given for the policy change

Sort of sad as we saw famillies dress up for halloween, and look amazing (The entire adams family eating in the MDR!), and tbh most of the hen parties we have seen have been fairly sedate...one group had different themed hats each night with a seafaring theme...captains hats, pirate hats, lobsters and light up jelly fish, and the seaside...the only dodgy one was the 'lighthouse'...it was a lovely shade of pink,but was most definately a lighthouse! we loved it, the staff loved it, and they were giddy rather than drunk or offensive.They have not been on cruises shorter than a week though....

7 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Just so you are aware, the B&W night is a very formal black tie night. Most ladies wear black, white or b&w dresses.  You can’t go in fancy dress as a fresian cow! To be honest none of them are fancy dress per se, they are themes for the evening wear. Tropical night you’ll see some bright shirts and dresses. 60s night you may see no one who looks to be in a 60s dress. 

That's a relief.I said to the Mrs,our bums look big in this.

Screenshot_2019-11-02 pantomime cow costume - Google Search.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Denarius said:

I believe that P&O (in the typical British manner) brought out the sledgehammer to crack the nut. There was I believe, a minor problem concerning stag and hen parties where it became increasingly common for special items of clothing etc to be commisioned for the occasion, often featuring risque images or wording. Harmless fun to many but offensive to others. Rather than target the specific problem and just ban clothing etc bearing sexually offensive wording or images P&O opted to ban fancy dress full stop. A gross overeaction imo.

Yes, I remember being heavily criticised by my tablemates on a formal night for wearing a pair of underpants with the head of a charging rhino on the front.

Regards John

On 11/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, Denarius said:

Going on a cruise for a stag do.......just proves I have made friends with the wrong people haha.