Alaska 2021

bubbapuck

24 minutes ago, FLASHINGLIGHTS83 said:

Well guys, as long as our Intel was correct, which is more of an educated guess, we should hopefully be seeing some 2021 Alaska sailings this week!   Here's to hoping, and keeping our fingers crossed!   

One can only hope. I am optimistic they will go on sale before Christmas which is what I really need!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

I dont see anything listed out on their sorta-not-secret site where they normally pre-post the upcoming sailings with the spreadsheets and promo flyers...there is nothing for Alaska 2021..

Do you have a link to this sorta-not-secret site?   I was looking for something like this for princess but was unsuccessful....

14 minutes ago, FLASHINGLIGHTS83 said:

Do you have a link to this sorta-not-secret site?   I was looking for something like this for princess but was unsuccessful....

here you go...I was not clear if i could post it unless someone asked..but since you did...lets see if this works...

https://book.princess.com/BookingSystem/goToUrl.do?srcURL=marketing/pc/destination/Destination_Year/index.jsp

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

End of the year???????????? Really????????????

This really is not a bad answer.   It's a very generic answer, but not horrible considering the end of the year is only 5 1/2 weeks away.   

7 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

Just to update the folks that are interested. I spoke with a Princess person yesterday on this topic. They said they are finalizing things now and should be out by the end of the year.

Bubba, I feel bad for you since you are wanting to surprise your wife with a cruise to Alaska for Christmas.   

13 hours ago, FLASHINGLIGHTS83 said:

This really is not a bad answer.   It's a very generic answer, but not horrible considering the end of the year is only 5 1/2 weeks away.   

Bubba, I feel bad for you since you are wanting to surprise your wife with a cruise to Alaska for Christmas.   

Thanks! I am horrible at getting my wife presents. Every year I flub it somehow. I was hopping for the slam dunk this year. I have 34 days for this to happen. Gotta think it will!

• Like 2

I think Alaska 2021 is going to look something like this (based on current last sailings in their system for the entire fleet):

7nt One way N/S Vancouver Whittier - Royal, Star, Coral, Sun, possibly Regal if they do a 5 ship season from Vancouver.  If so one ship could do a full season of 7, 10  or 14nt Vancouver Roundtrips , though Princess usually focuses more on the North/South runs.

7nt R/T Seattle -  Discovery, Emerald

10nt R/T San Fransisco - Ruby

Possibly no ship in LA for summer 2021 UNLESS Discovery stays there or they bring Regal in - both unlikely 

Pacific appears to stay in Japan SE Asia for summer 2021, and Regal may stay in Aus/NZ or SE Asia for the summer 2021 season.

Princess is now the last of the "Big 6" (Carnival, NCL, Royal, Celebrity, Holland, Princess) to release Alaska 2021.  All the others have their full 2021 schedule, including cruisetours available (NCL being the exception and has not released cruisetours, just cruises).

Usually Princess put out a deployment notice on their travel agent website about a week before new crusies are bookable.  To date nothing is listed for Alaska 2021.  I check daily and will repost back if/when I see something

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

7nt One way N/S Vancouver Whittier - Royal, Star, Coral, Sun, possibly Regal

It was mentioned here that Princess is looking to only put just one Royal-class ship (Royal/Regal) each in Vancouver and Seattle. 

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

7nt R/T Seattle -  Discovery, Emerald

For Alaska 2021, Discovery won't be delivered in time as she will commence in November 2021. 

In terms of my own speculations, I think Vancouver will probably still have a 4-ship season as they've done for 2019 and 2020, and I would agree with your first four. It would definitely be a change if Princess were to do a 7-day round-trip from YVR but it probably won't happen if they continue to rely on the way they stagger their ships throughout the week. I know they do have some rare 12-day roundtrips for 2020. Seattle should also probably have two: a Grand-class (likely Emerald for the Emerald city as it has been for a while) and a Royal-class. I agree about SF with Ruby and for LA, given that they would have to pull a ship from somewhere else to deploy it from LA, it's also likely that LA won't have a ship for Alaska. 

Personally, I think Pacific is a wild card; it arrives in Tokyo (mid-May) from a repositioning that seems already pretty late for what we might think as a conventional start for cruise lines to get into Alaska (early-to-mid-May but now April is emerging for 2021, cc: NCL). So it would take another ~2/2+ weeks from Tokyo to Vancouver. Of course, it could also just stay in Asia and thus, the deployments in Alaska would just be as such. With the trend of bigger and bigger ships coming to Alaska, I wonder if Princess will continue to bring Pacific to the last frontier.

5 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Possibly no ship in LA for summer 2021 UNLESS Discovery stays there or they bring Regal in - both unlikely 

I hope this is not true because this is the cruise I would love to book for my wife. She wants to see Alaska and do 14 days. LA made perfect Sense because it is the port we live near so I wouldn’t have to pay air fare. 

I guess i could do back to back 7 dayers but that will get expensive.

has anyone done a back to back 7 day to Alaska? Do you have to load the luggage and get off then re board. Is there a way to work it out with the cruise ship to stay in the same room

and leave the luggage. Any tips in a back to back?

Did Alaska b2b the last two summers out of Vancouver with the whole family. You do have to get off in Whittier, but one time we moved cabins and one time we were in the same cabin. It was very easy to move. 

My tip - The hikes and kayaking around Whittier are amazing. It is the most laid back of the Alaska ports, and we really enjoyed it both times. Of course, we got lucky and the weather was beautiful. 

The b2bs are actually quite good value. The legs tend to drop in price, so keep your eyes open, we rebooked twice and ended up with the 3 for free and a dinner for less than we were paying initially. We chose the return leg because it was not that much more expensive than flying.

12 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

It was mentioned here that Princess is looking to only put just one Royal-class ship (Royal/Regal) each in Vancouver and Seattle. 

For Alaska 2021, Discovery won't be delivered in time as she will commence in November 2021. 

My apologies - it was late at night and I had been looking at Discovery Princess spring 2022 sailings and got myself confused.

Regal will most likely reposition from Asia to Seattle then would be my guess.

So that would give us:

Royal, Star, Coral, Sun Vancouver 7nt N/S

Emerald/Regal Seattle 7nt roundtrip

Ruby 10nt San Fransisco roundtrip

Pacific Princess' last cruise scheduled ends in Tokyo on May 18th, so they could do a 14-16 night repo to LA and have her arrive there Early June (1 to the 3rd) and do a shorter LA season with her.  Given that Golden sails on May 16th and May 30th in 2020 that could potentially mean just one less sailing and a lot less berths to fill, which could drive fares WAY up for the LA departures

16 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

My apologies - it was late at night and I had been looking at Discovery Princess spring 2022 sailings and got myself confused.

No worries, I also have plenty of late nights so I totally understand.

Pacific could also be from Vancouver or Seattle, with reshuffling that we might not anticipate (or not). But I don't know, we'll see. Honestly just overthinking too much. But Princess really does need more Coral/Grand-sized newbuilds, or just something smaller than Royal (I get that cruise + economy of scale argument, but still...), IMHO, if they're going without the Golden and Star for a while and still want to continue providing more choices, flexibility, and the experience they're known for.

5 minutes ago, snoozecrooze said:

No worries, I also have plenty of late nights so I totally understand.

Pacific could also be from Vancouver or Seattle, with reshuffling that we might not anticipate (or not). But I don't know, we'll see. Honestly just overthinking too much. But Princess really does need more Coral/Grand-sized newbuilds, or just something smaller than Royal (I get that cruise + economy of scale argument, but still...), IMHO, if they're going without the Golden and Star for a while and still want to continue providing more choices, flexibility, and the experience they're known for.

Originally the Sun transpacific was scheduled to end in LA, they have since revised it to end in Vancouver, so yes they are re-shuffling their plans prior to announcing the 2021 season.  I was eyeing the Sun if she saild from LA as I want to sail that ship class before it goes for good.  Additionally,  if they were to put the Coral in LA on 14 day sailings I would cancel my 2021 Caribbean/Panama Canal plans and book it the minute they announced.  I'd also give Pacific a good hard look in if the pricing wasn't insane.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Additionally,  if they were to put the Coral in LA on 14 day sailings I would cancel my 2021 Caribbean/Panama Canal plans and book it the minute they announced.  I'd also give Pacific a good hard look in if the pricing wasn't insane.

just curious why the Coral and Pacific are so popular? Sorry am new to cruising and am curious. 

22 minutes ago, bubbapuck said:

just curious why the Coral and Pacific are so popular? Sorry am new to cruising and am curious. 

Coral has far more public space per guest than many other ships in the fleet and therefore feels less crowded. She's very easy to navigate, elegant and comfortable for extended voyages. Island used to be the same before they eliminated several large public spaces to add more cabins, so she lost that sense of spaciousness and uncrowded feeling. 

Pacifc is is special due to he's size. At only 680 guests you get to know your fellow travelers more easily, staff can provide more personal and genuine service and virtually any venue on the ship is only two minutes away. Disembarking and boarding in ports is a breeze on a smaller ship as well. She can also fit into ports larger ships cannot, which theoretically give her the opportunity for more unique itineraries, something I think Princess has not fully taken advantage of.