How Do Edge's Four MDRs Work? How Do They Compare To M and S Class MDRs?

vtcruising

There are always a lot of questions on Cruise Critic about Edge MDR Dining. I tried to organize as much info onto one thread and thought it might be interesting to compare the Edge MDRs to M and S Class. I did notice a few interesting things that I hadn't noticed before. I noticed that the Edge menus have 1-2 less items on the rotating menus than the M and S Class (checked recent cruisers' menus to verify menus were current), maybe because the Edge has the 6 extra Exclusives in each MDR. The Edge dessert menu has one less dessert in the rotating menu, but does make up for that with the Exclusive dessert. I also noticed that the Edge doesn't have creme brulee as an everyday dessert. I haven't heard any complaints about that so maybe it is available.

It seems the 4 MDR plan is going better than I ever thought it would. I assumed it would take some times to get it running smoothly, but most who have reviewed it on Cruise Critic have seemed pretty satisfied. Many have noted that having the smaller venues is more desirable and enjoyed changing it up in different MDRs. Some have reported some of them as noisy at times and others mentioned the tables being close, but it seems like similar complaints have been made about other MDRs. I haven't dined in the Edge MDRs enough to be able to make a good comparison.

Full 14 day dinner and dessert menus are available at the end for the Edge, with a link to a helpful thread about the 4 MDRs from Miaminice. You will also find a link to a poll that may give you some info on why people liked one MDR more than others. There is also a link to a thread with the M and S Class 14 day menus from gerelmx that is very helpful. gerelmx also had dessert menus for M and S Class, but I couldn't get the links to work. The Edge desserts are quite similar, so will get an idea about desserts on other ships from the Edge list.

Here is a comparison chart of the Edge Class vs. M and S Class MDR Dining:

image.thumb.png.14b6162a467f614e8fed5d191bead4e8.png

M and S Class Dinner Menu Example:  

image.thumb.png.d4827faacf1435e98c9afff863ba936b.png

M and S Class Dessert Menu Example:

image.png.8eaaa98641fe6dd0b33d96b42052d149.png

Edge Class Dinner Menu Example (Exclusives below):

image.png.9bc9a74f2e655cc2b6b9235552c85ab7.png

Exclusive Starters, Entrees and Drinks for Each Edge Class MDR:

image.thumb.png.9b9089ed14cd5fdd37dc5bc5ac572e4c.png

image.png.927ac4d304ebb4a8c0c9146035772e93.png

image.png.f4c51c0b710075dd8ae5f0157be67ebd.png

image.png.b7998e7fd64615a3f3a6899c6ef1481d.png

Edge Class Dessert Menu Examples for 4 MDRs (1 Exclusive for each MDR):

image.thumb.png.069a1887fefb49a0083cfdff18f89c77.png

image.thumb.png.207878b728fa723c0b7d49c33f18088f.png

image.thumb.png.1cdc878a51f911b5e4672576a20187d3.png

image.thumb.png.b199b5b05df84dd314b046d8eba9c7d5.png

Some of the burning Edge MDR questions:

Q. I have Traditional Dining - how will I know what MDR we've been assigned? What if I would rather dine in a different MDR?

A. Your assignment will be in your cabin on day 1. If you would like to switch, you will need to see the Maitre D' the first day to see if there is availability.

Q. Can I request a certain MDR before my cruise??

A. You can try emailing CelebrityDining@celebrity.com  to request a certain MDR - they may be able to honor your request.

Q. I was assigned 8:30 Traditional Dining. I can't eat that late!

A. Call Celebrity or have your travel agent call and request Select or 6:30 (Early) Dining.

Q.  I couldn't get Select Dining and want to eat in all of the 4 MDRs. Will I be able to do so?

A.  Others have discussed this with the Maitre D' and been able to try other MDRs, based on availability. Also, some people were able to get Select Dining by getting on the waiting list and later were switched or were switched on day 1 of the cruise after meeting with Maitre D'.

Q. Can I get Exclusive dishes from another MDR when dining in a different one?

A. People onboard have reported being able to try dishes from other MDRs.

Q. Why do the Exclusives stay the same every night? That doesn't seem to add much choice.

A. Since there are 7 Exclusive items (3 starters,  3 entrees and 1 dessert) X 4 MDRs, there are 28 new dishes not offered in the other Celebrity MDRs. In addition, X has floated the idea of adding more Exclusive items and rotating them so that 1/2 are at the beginning of the cruise and the others during the last half. Maybe this will be introduced at some point.

Q. If I am in Select, should I make my reservations prior to the cruise on my Cruise Planner?

A. Reservations are recommended - some have seen people have to wait or even be sent to a different MDR if they didn't have reservations. You can always change your reservations, if needed - there is no charge.

Q. How are the 4 MDRs different?

A. Each is designed to have an ambiance to go with their regional themes, including colors, furnishings, artwork, lighting and dinnerware. Each serves Exclusive items that go with the region they represent, such as souvlaki in Cyprus and Baked Brie in Normandie.

Q. Can we eat breakfast and lunch in the 4 MDRs?

A. Cosmopolitan is used for serving breakfast and lunch.

Q. Can I have more than one starter or entree?

A. Yes, many guests order more than one starter and entree. Some order a dish to share, some ask for a small portion entree for an appetizer or a larger portion appetizer for an entree and many order more than one dessert. If you are eating with others, you may want to order multiple items to be delivered in such a way as not to hold up the flow of  dinner for others.

14 day menus for 4 Edge MDRs (all 4 MDRs are the same except for Exclusives part of the menu)

Cosmopolitan Menus.pdf

Cyprus Dinner.pdf

Normandie Dinner.pdf

Tuscan Dinner.pdf

14 days of Edge dessert menus (all 4 MDRs are the same except for Exclusives part of the menu):

Cosmo Desserts.pdf

Cyprus Dessert.pdf

Normandie Dessert.pdf

Tuscan Dessert.pdf

Edge Culinary FAQs:

EDGE_Culinary_Reveal_FAQS_2_22.pdf

Select Dining FAQs:

Select Dining.pdf

Thread with M and S Class MDR Menus:

Threads with pictures and more info on the 4 MDRs and Edge dining:

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You rock!! Thanks for doing this!!

My one puzzler is that they are so good about marking allergens on the main food menus, I do not get why they are not as good on dessert menus! Minor thing as I can usually figure out if something has a crust or pastry (gluten-free here), but it would make it so much easier than playing “I think this is ok...” to have the server check and discover it is not.

1 hour ago, airhose said:

Another question:  in Select Dining on the Edge, is it possible to share a table, given that reservations are recommended?

Thanks for the comprehensive overview!

They asked us if we wanted to share or if we wanted a table for two the first time we went to each restaurant. At the second visit they didn’t ask, just placed us at a table for two. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

You rock!! Thanks for doing this!!

My one puzzler is that they are so good about marking allergens on the main food menus, I do not get why they are not as good on dessert menus! Minor thing as I can usually figure out if something has a crust or pastry (gluten-free here), but it would make it so much easier than playing “I think this is ok...” to have the server check and discover it is not.

Good point!

56 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

If I understand correctly the "classic" drink package only allows you to have a drink or wine up to $9.   I only see one wine at that price - a $9 pinot.

Here is the MDR wine by the glass list for Classic and Premium - the ones on the menus above are just suggested ones for the restaurant - same with the cocktails, as you can order most types of cocktails in the MDR.  If you don't see exactly what you want on this list (and this list will change as their stock changes), ask the wine steward and they may have other options within the $9 limit. We always get the Premium package, but my DH loves the Malbec and Shiraz that are on this Classic list - they were his go-to reds for the last few cruises. They are very good at getting you wines within your package. 🙂

image.png.3dc3a9355babf9caa12c4ca3ecf1a224.png

image.png.3310a5dd8b60a67325bcb799f7a71c6b.png

image.png.40319e01369c301fc8818bc982a2d671.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

Vtcruising, thank you for taking the time to post these menus.  I'll be on the Edge in December.  I have one question about ordering cocktails in any of the MDRs.  I'm not a wine drinker anymore due to a sensitivity to the sulfites found in most wines.  Can I order a cocktail of my choice with dinner or am I restricted to the 3 special cocktails in each of the MDR?

Thanks again.

15 minutes ago, baggal said:

Vtcruising, thank you for taking the time to post these menus.  I'll be on the Edge in December.  I have one question about ordering cocktails in any of the MDRs.  I'm not a wine drinker anymore due to a sensitivity to the sulfites found in most wines.  Can I order a cocktail of my choice with dinner or am I restricted to the 3 special cocktails in each of the MDR?

Thanks again.

Yes, you can. That list at the top of the menu is like menus in many restaurants on land and at sea that have special drink concoctions to temp you, but they can get you most any cocktail you would like. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Can men wear shorts to the Steakhouse with a nice shirt?

The dress code says "no" and though it sounds like some Maitre D's might not say anything, it sounds like others might.

Here are the highlights of the dress code - I bolded the specialty restaurant info and Smart Casual info that is requested in Specialty Restaurants:

What is Evening Chic?

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Evening Attire – Evenings onboard Celebrity feature two types of attire: Evening Chic and Smart Casual Evening Chic is your night to shine in your vacation best, and will be featured once on cruises 6 nights or shorter and twice on cruises 7-nights or longer.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: • A cocktail dress • Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing: • Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater • Optional sport coat or blazer

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing: • Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing: • Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Specialty Restaurants (Including Luminae for our Suite Class guests and Blu for our AquaClass® Guests) The dress code in Celebrity’s Specialty Restaurants is Smart Casual for every night of your cruise.

Evening Chic attire is only required in the main dining room on your “Evening Chic nights.” Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time.

Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

2 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Can men wear shorts to the Steakhouse with a nice shirt?

Askedm  and answered  by Vt cruiser but that venue is the most dressy  restaurant in board.....so shorts would  definitely stand out as  being out of  place if you were  admitted

9 minutes ago, hcat said:

Thanks again to Vt Cruiser...

We will do our best to sample as much as we can on our 9 day ABC on EDGE.

This is a great guide.

I'm counting on you to report back on the MDRs and SV's! It was so bad here today (6 inches snow and cold and windy) that I went through every Exciting Deal, trying to find one that works to get out of here in the next couple of months, but nothing fit my days off. Sitting by the wood stove tonight...

Have a wonderful time and enjoy the warmth!

Since someone asked about the best MDR to be in for quiet and comfort (seating), here are some pictures of each MDR and made sure to include pictures of chairs. The MDR seating plans for each of the 4 MDRs are after the pictures so you could potentially request a certain table number (not sure if that can happen, but doesn't hurt to try).

Cosmopolitan:

223130687_cosmomdr2.jpg.fa14b9c4dc1c76c5bf47dddfa948c900.jpg

429436636_cosmomdr6.jpg.28aa8589d6c8e7a8f83c5fa379d3458a.jpg

1644680946_cosmomdr1.jpeg.c200b3f66813cb60855ce0bb239f272f.jpeg

cosmomdr3.jpg.556315693abb38e5ec5a08672af7287d.jpg

Cosmopolitan Layout:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/EDGE/Cosmopolitan_Dining_Room.pdf

Cyprus:

1412984922_cyprusmdr7.jpg.990598f75e73f2ec499528d5b700f912.jpg

355348905_cyprusmdr4.jpg.ab58c856bd6ffc05f3aeab1414673142.jpg

1663927657_cyprusmdr1.thumb.jpg.0f8292d833eb76b49c15321ca6c5ac6d.jpg

Cyprus Layout:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/EDGE/Cyprus_Main_Dining_Room.pdf 

Normandie:

475142114_normandiemdr5.thumb.jpg.09509750447645ec79cac996cec0528f.jpg

218021712_normandiemdr8.thumb.jpg.c234e77321cfb8fb3b4597f35554af08.jpg

361774977_Normandiemdr9.jpg.e895b2fb60a0aa6f9027cf63592bab21.jpg

1986376133_normandiemdr12.thumb.jpg.7be96a7e68a21e6d555e390fc1eea142.jpg

381076014_normandiemdr7.jpg.fd74767e101459fed9ca999f8349eea6.jpg

Normandie Layout:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/EDGE/Normandie_Main_Dining_Room.pdf

Tuscan:

image.thumb.png.aa7563ed5e0d350c695f4dfd25895e1c.png

1881593182_tuscanmdr1xx.thumb.jpg.ed2188a53d14d0e433e3540df28a69e3.jpg2011626343_tuscanmdr2xx.thumb.jpg.5956776360e8d5c9697b0851dd797f08.jpg

774015746_tuscanmdr3.thumb.jpg.a0d5ba10deeccd91b7f0bc8193b4fb88.jpg

Tuscan Layout:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/EDGE/Tuscan_Main_Dining_Room.pdf

Edited by vtcruising

Vtcruising, thanks so much for the comprehensive description of the 4 MDRs.  We are going on an 11 night adriatic cruise in October so my plan is to do the 3 night specialty dining package and then rotate the 4 MDRs for the other nights.  Now i just have to decide when to choose each night. 

Which MDR do you think would be best for Evening Chic nights?  

Elise