New to Royal - many questions

NRWPA

I'm going on my first Royal cruise later this month - Adventure of the Seas. I've taken many cruises with Norwegian and Princess and a few with Carnival. I've read through first few pages of this message board but would like current information. So here are my questions:

We have no status so I'm curious about embarkment - we don't want to pay for the Key.  Says this on check in page "Please arrive no less than 2 hours before your scheduled boardings." On other cruise lines they ask you not to arrive any MORE than X hours before boarding.  We have a 12-12:30 check in time.  How much earlier than that should we arrive and not have to wait for any long period? I know things happen, but I'm asking in general.

What terminal is Adventure OTS docked at in Port Everglades?

If you have no status, will you still upon request be able to get a bathrobe from your cabin steward or do I need to pack one?

Do they have "egg crates" for the beds?

Are there coffee makers in balcony cabins?

We have the drink package. Are bars open and package still available on disembark day?

What exactly is there to do for no charge on Labadee? There appears to be a charge for a lounge chair, food, umbrella? I assume this is all free on Coco Cay but if not, enlighten me.
It appears the beverage package is available for use on Coco Cay, what about Labadee?

Many people have an opinion about dress codes and I really only want facts. My SO very seldom wears long pants but will on formal nights. On other nights, can he wear short khakis with a collared shirt into the main dining room?

Thanks in advance for any help! Also, sorry in advance if I come up with more questions 🙂

WRT boarding, if you show up at noon, you will not wait to board.  Boarding officially starts at 11, although sometimes it will be earlier if people clear the ship fast enough and the B2B'ers re done quickly.  That is when there is a line, and when your boarding priority is put into play.  We always arrive to walk on board at about 1pm, so that we can go directly to our cabin- I see no reason to be early, as the only thing that is open is food related.  Unless you missed your work out and need the gym.  Or if you just want to go to the pool that badly.

Coffee makers are in JS and up cabins- so no on the balcony.

Haven't been to Coco Cay since the redo, but as I read it, the same stuff that was free before is still free- basic chair and food.  And even though we don't get the beverage package, we do know it still works there.  We'll be there in less than a month, and don't plan on paying anything.

If you SO does not want to wear long pants, even on "dress your best" night, nobody will care.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NRWPA said:

Thank you Alfaeric! Have you been to Labadee and know any info on that?

yea, our last cruise was there- chairs were free, buffet food was free....

And swimming was free..  🙂

I'm looking forward to seeing Coco Cay- but our normal time of renting a kayak may change- so we are just planning on finding a seat near a tree, and just relaxing.  If the kayaks are available, and the area looks interesting- we'll do that.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NRWPA said:

If you have no status, will you still upon request be able to get a bathrobe from your cabin steward or do I need to pack one?

Do they have "egg crates" for the beds?

We have the drink package. Are bars open and package still available on disembark day?

Many people have an opinion about dress codes and I really only want facts. My SO very seldom wears long pants but will on formal nights. On other nights, can he wear short khakis with a collared shirt into the main dining room?🙂

Regarding boarding, I agree with the above. You can show up at any time, even before your posted time as they aren't super strict at that port, however you might have a wait. 

The bathrobes are for junior suites and up but I have had extra nice stewards provide me with one with no problem. 

There are no "egg crates" for beds. They may add additional comforters under the sheet for a small amount of softness but I haven't asked since we prefer firm beds. 

I don't know if the bars are open on disembark day - that is a good question. Usually we choose to carry our own luggage so we are off the ship very first thing in the morning. 

Long pants work for formal nights but are definitely not required on other nights. My husband frequently wears khakis or golf shorts with a collard shirt and no one even glances at us. To be honest, MDR is pretty flexible even though it is "traditionally" more dressed up. You will see flip flops, tank tops, shorts and hats. It doesn't bother me so do what you are comfortable with. 

Edited by SherieW321
  • Like 2

I think they mean to show up at least 2 hours prior to departure time, not boarding time.

If you show up after 11, there will be little wait to check in or board.

WRT to bathrobe, you can ask, and you may get them.  But if you REALLY want one, move up to a JR Suite or bring your own.

No coffee maker.

Egg crate mattress toppers, ask.  Some ships have them, some do not.

I have not looked for bars being open on disembark day.  But I really don't want/need a drink before 9AM. 

I don't know about Labadee, but at Coco Cay, before the changes, loungers were free, but umbrellas were charged.  Now, both are free.  Drink package works on the islands.  And there is free food and drink, like on board.  There may be some extra cost/pay food venues, but they are optional.

I have seen shorts in the MDR on formal night.  I would suggest long pants. 

• Like 1

Loungers are everywhere, and free to anyone on Labadee, just like on Coco Cay.  You can spend a ton on cabanas, beds, etc...but you certainly do not need to!  Lunch is served, just like on Coco Cay.

On both of the private island/beaches, they have added many  "for fee extras"....but you need not partake!

• Like 1

Since you won't have a coffeemaker, if you would like to have coffee in your stateroom in the morning, you can order breakfast and have it delivered. There are hang-tag menus that you fill out the night before, and I believe that a limited breakfast is still complimentary (whereas other room service incurs a fee). You could also go to the Promenade cafe at any time to get coffee to go. There are urns of regular and decaf, with sugar, cream, etc., provided at no charge, as well as some snack and dessert items. Specialty coffee drinks are available for an extra charge. 

• Like 1

It seems like you got all your answers.  Go Leafs!

I will agree that the 2hrs thing is before departure, not your boarding time.  By 12:30 it's usually a ghost town and a breeze to get on.  There will often be a line outside for the security check, but the inside piece is good to go by then.  That's pretty much the same for PE and PC.  Miami is a bit slower.

Coco Cay and Labadee have plenty of free things.  They have plenty of pay things, but I've never paid for anything (this may change in Coco Cay... maybe) at either and have an amazing time every time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NRWPA said:

Quoted so I can try to stay in order. We just got back from a CocoCay sailing in a balcony cabin last week, So I can hit most if not all of these 🙂

1. We got to our departure port late because of a bad accident on the only bridge in and out of Port Canaveral. We were about an hour *after* our scheduled check-in and still had no problems. We got there around 12:30-1ish and the security line took maaaaaaaybe twenty minutes and we have no kind of loyalty status. RCI doesn't really enforce their boarding "appointments" anyway, they're just trying to do a little crowd control by making people think they have to come at different times.

2. Skip, I sailed out of PC (sorry, no help there!)

3. I believe you can still request one; whether or not you have to buy it and keep it is another story.

4. Sometimes but it's hit and miss. I'd say for certain if you want one or you're concerned about the bed firmness, plan to bring your own and pack it in its own suitcase. 

5. Just had a balcony cabin, can confirm: nope. JS and above get coffee makers but there are tons of venues around the ship to get coffee in the morning. And room service is very prompt but there is a charge associated. (Last checked...$7.95 per order. Not per item ordered but per room order.)

6. If you mean disembarking in a port of call, one or two bars will still be open but most will be closed. (Usually pool bar stays open to serve guests who stay on the ship.) On the final day when you get off for good? All are closed because of the myriad of things going on: supplies being loaded and unloaded, guests leaving and coming on, trash being offloaded, crew coming aboard and leaving. They try to keep it as simple as possible and all but the buffet and a few other key areas (think guest services) will be closed.

7. It's been a looooooooong time since I've been to Labadee, but on CocoCay the loungers, umbrellas, the buffet, pool access, beach access, beach wheelchairs, and a few attractions (think splash zones for the little ones) are free. Snorkel rental, cabanas, beach beds, the waterpark, the helium balloon, and the zip lines all carry a charge, as well as some food options.

8. I would not advise shorts in the MDR, but they won't stop you. Saw plenty of people heading in there in shorts on our sailing. If you can convince him to wear jeans (which undoubtedly someone is still going to call a faux pas, I call it a compromise) and a polo or collared shirt that might be looked upon more favorably, but they really don't enforce their dress code...anywhere onboard. 

Hope that helps 🙂

Edited by booplesnoople
  • Like 1

We are new to Royal Caribbean too and cruised 40 times on other cruise lines.  Does RCCL provide airfare?  I couldn't find it on the website.  We have done Celebrity cruises and they have offered airfare.  If they do offer airfare, what is it called so I can find it on the RCCL website?

Biker19 so where can I find it on the website.  I logged in and went into my reservation but couldn't see it.  Does it open at a later time?  We are 11 months out and airfare is available by the airlines, so we have been checking prices and want to know what Air2Sea will offer us.

Edit:  

I just went back to the website and looked and still can't find Air2Sea.  Is it available only at check-in?  Isn't that pretty late to get airfare?

Edit#2:  Just googled Air2Sea and got a link to the RCCL website for transportation.  Will see if that works.  Thank you.

Edited by wdrl

43 minutes ago, wdrl said:

Biker19 so where can I find it on the website.  I logged in and went into my reservation but couldn't see it.  Does it open at a later time?  We are 11 months out and airfare is available by the airlines, so we have been checking prices and want to know what Air2Sea will offer us.

I'd use this URL and click on "Search for Flights". 

The URL mentioned above has not been reliable as it depends on a specific cookie being deposited.

Just to clarify, there is not a charge for coffee to be delivered to your cabin in the morning.  Just fill out the door tag/menu the night before as CntPAcruiser stated. There are a few continental items that also do not incur a charge. Drinking coffee on my balcony in the morning is one of my favorite things to do on a cruise.

I also bring a travel mug and use it to get coffee at Cafe Promenade.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!