current San Diego info--lodging/transportation/port ease

thyme2go

We have a cruise in April out of San Diego--flying in to SAN.   Will consider renting a car but it there is a way to avoid that and still get to the zoo, pick up supplies (water), and get from the airport to the cruise port with everything in tow...then good!    We don't use Uber/Lyft so would rely on hotel shuttles, public transportation, or rental car but would like to know what's available.    Hotel?    Cleanliness is top priority........Port?   Will they allow us to drop our water supplies near the entrance tagged for our cabin?    Car rental?  If we pick up at airport can we easily return it there or at the Port?   

I miss my Aunt who lived in National City and knew San Diego like the back of her hand............I'll rely on TA experts to help us, please!

Even though the airport, port, and hotel area is pretty compact for what you want to do I would rent a car.  Plan on returning it to the airport (cheaper and easier) at the new rental center.  You could take the car rental center shuttle back to the airport and catch the hotel shuttle or taxi to your hotel.  Unless you want to do stuff day of embarkation, I usually drop my car the night before back at the rental center so I don't have to mess with it day I sail.  I don't think there are any rental car drop places at the port or any hotels nearby.    

Hotels are in the eye of the beholder.  There are plenty of clean nice hotels near the cruise port it just depends on what you want to spend and what amenities you want and what convention is in town.  I always book Hilton as soon as I have travel plans.  It's easy to cancel or modify if price changes or plans change.    

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

This is for less than 24 hours? I don't see the sense and expense of renting a car.

The Hampton Inn Downtown (Pacific Highway) as an airport shuttle. You can walk to get water, you can practically walk to the cruise port. In the map below you can see the airport, cruise port and hotel.

Airport-Hampton Inn-Cruise Port

19 hours ago, scottca075 said:

My mistake......it would be for 48 hrs.......two nights in hotel and embarkation.   Thanks for the info

This is for less than 24 hours? I don't see the sense and expense of renting a car.

The Hampton Inn Downtown (Pacific Highway) as an airport shuttle. You can walk to get water, you can practically walk to the cruise port. In the map below you can see the airport, cruise port and hotel.

So two full days...  nah, I'd just Uber. Plenty to see and do in a 10 mile radius.

And two days, check the prices at the SpringHill Suites Bayfront, Homewood Suites Bayside, Best Western Plus Bayside Inn, The Republic, Carte Hotel and Intercontinental.

If you want something cheaper, check out the Old Town Inn. Right next to the Trolley (light rail) system, which you can use to get to the Embarcadero, Little Italy, and Gaslamp Quarter.  It is also a transit center, so you can get a bus from there to the Zoo/Balboa Park, or take a cab.
https://www.oldtown-inn.com/

Thanks Splinter.........I'll check out Old Town Inn.   I put a hold at BW Bayside as a safety net while I keep hunting.    Does anyone know if BW Bayside  is close to transit connections for the zoo or even other restaurants?   I was assuming that there is bus service in the downtown area, but want to know if it is safe/reliable.     

14 minutes ago, thyme2go said:

Thanks Splinter.........I'll check out Old Town Inn.   I put a hold at BW Bayside as a safety net while I keep hunting.    Does anyone know if BW Bayside  is close to transit connections for the zoo or even other restaurants?   I was assuming that there is bus service in the downtown area, but want to know if it is safe/reliable.     

I love the Old Town Inn, it is a great family run hotel, but I usually recommend it for people on "value" budgets. There isn't much directly around it. The BWP Bayside is just outside Little Italy, close to Santa Fe Depot. It is a great location for dining, transportation and getting supplies for the cruise.

You can see the BW Bayside on Google maps.

Then use the Get Directions function on the map and put in zoo etc. Click on the bus icon.

Google maps is tied into our transit system so will show bus and /or lightrail.

From the Bayside you can walk to many restaurants and even to the port if you don't have too much luggage.

This link will show you what I mean for bus to zoo from the BW Bayside:

https://goo.gl/maps/fLvTn5yMRHBxcM5o8

Thanks so much everyone!  The map info is very helpful.     We have to pick up a few things before boarding and it looks like BW will work for us.    I looked at Old Town Inn and it is very appealing if we had our car with us--will save the info in case we can use it down the road........literally!.

23 hours ago, Splinter said:

Note that the OP said they don't do Uber/Lyft. Neither do I.

Im just curious here as to why-- there couldn't be a more efficient, cost effective, or time saving method in what they described than to use an Uber/Lyft. Way less expensive than a car rental and will save you massive amounts of time over shuttles/public transportation. 

4 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Is there a nearby walkable place to buy wine near Springhill Suites Bay Harbor in San Diego?

Here is another Google map showing the hotel and nearby 7-11 or a bit farther up Rite Aid

https://goo.gl/maps/Y1GTDtd1i1UcyVHj6

In California you can buy wine and liquor in many many different stores/pharmacies etc.

IF you want more choice uber/lyft to Ralphs Supermarket

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Here is another Google map showing the hotel and nearby 7-11 or a bit farther up Rite Aid

https://goo.gl/maps/Y1GTDtd1i1UcyVHj6

In California you can buy wine and liquor in many many different stores/pharmacies etc.

IF you want more choice uber/lyft to Ralphs Supermarket

Thanks -  I meant Springhill Suites Bayfront.....

4 hours ago, Roz said:

Curious as to why you don't use Lyft or Uber?  Don't know how, don't have a smartphone, fear?  I used it on my last trip to San Diego and it was great.

We can use those but thought if there was something within walking distance we would do that.

3 hours ago, 57redbird said:

We can use those but thought if there was something within walking distance we would do that.

There are places that are walkable, but it depends on how good of wine you want. If you consider a mile walkable, the Wine Bank is fun just to browse through.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 9:10 PM, scottca075 said:

The Hampton is a great location and has a good free breakfast.  Airport shuttle and to the pier (but easy walk also) - both free.  Close to Rite Aide for last minute supplies.  One thing - BE SURE TO ASK FOR A FRONT FACING ROOM, as the train tracks are right behind the building (not a major problem, but better not to have it).

On 11/15/2019 at 3:57 AM, Roz said:

Curious as to why you don't use Lyft or Uber?  Don't know how, don't have a smartphone, fear?  I used it on my last trip to San Diego and it was great.

We are probably the only people on earth who don't use a smart phone.......so yes, that is the answer.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thyme2go said:

We are probably the only people on earth who don't use a smart phone.......so yes, that is the answer.   

I didn't have a smart phone until 6 yrs. ago.  If you decide to get one, it will open up a lot of possibilities, especially when you're traveling.

On 11/16/2019 at 9:18 AM, thyme2go said:

Nope! Not the only people! DH doesn't have one and doesn't want one!!

I have one but have only used Lyft once since I downloaded the app last year.

Rarely need it.  You will be just fine.

5 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Nope! Not the only people! DH doesn't have one and doesn't want one!!

I have one but have only used Lyft once since I downloaded the app last year.

Rarely need it.  You will be just fine.

So glad we are not the only one's!!   We are fine with Public Transportation and have always found a way to get around.    Thanks for the info.........all of it helpful!    We will enjoy ourselves on this trip.............