IS THE CROWN PRINCESS REALLY THAT AWFUL???

thewhip

We will sail on Crown after sailing on Royal last time.

I will probably miss buffets of Royal class, and huge beautiful Piazza, but as we sailed on Caribbean and Ruby Princess before... they have own advantages. Pool(s) setup is better with 4 different areas.

19 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

We're doing the opposite. 

As good as the Crown was I'm still looking forward to the Regal buffet. It puts all the others to shame.

It is amazing, unfortunately Regal/Sky itineraries are not as amazing for New Year as we had several years ago on Royal and it is important to us as we are doing quite a hike to meet Princess in Florida after she abandoned us northeasterners. 😉 

We want 10 day cruise to Southern Caribbeans so water is warm enough. 🙂

I love Grand+ class though. Especially pool design.

Edited by Tatka

We will be on the Crown also on February 5th, yes, I've seen some of these bad reviews on Reviews / Cruise Critic, and if you check on the reviewers, many of them have one or two reviews on CC.  Some of these passengers really hated this ship.  We were on the Caribbean Princess last year and that ship also had some bad reviews, went anyway and loved it.  We did b2b and enjoyed everything.  

10 minutes ago, zahav1 said:

We will be on the Crown also on February 5th, yes, I've seen some of these bad reviews on Reviews / Cruise Critic, and if you check on the reviewers, many of them have one or two reviews on CC.  Some of these passengers really hated this ship.  We were on the Caribbean Princess last year and that ship also had some bad reviews, went anyway and loved it.  We did b2b and enjoyed everything.  

We weren't thrilled with the buffet food on the CB and probably wouldn't go back again although the DR was fine. I guess they can't please everyone all the time.

5 hours ago, thewhip said:

Hi Everyone,

To all of you who have been so kind to respond to our request for info.  Thank you!

We have been reading 'reviews' of the Crown on the Cruise Critic site and some of them are not good.  We know the reviews are subjective, but we began to think there was something about that particular ship that was causing travellers to write such uncomplimentary reviews.

We are looking forward to our February cruise and all of your reassurances have confirmed our original thoughts...that the Crown is an older ship, but would be just fine.  

Thank you again for all of your input.  It is much appreciated.

The Whip

If you're interested, come join the Roll Call for Feb 5!

I would certainly take the negative reviews seriously especially when you are seeing the same complaints over and over again. We were on the Crown May/June 2019 (British Isles, 12 Days). This was our 10th Cruise on Princess and have been on well over 20 cruises in total (Princess, RCCL, Norwegian and Celebrity). Through all these years we have NEVER posted a negative review. In fact, all except this one have been fantastic.

I have read on this site many comments about how things have changed through out the cruise industry....cut backs, etc. So maybe this is the new norm. We had not been on Princess since 2011 (Emerald, S. Caribbean). We definitely did not see any of these issues back then or when we cruised the Baltics with Celebrity two years ago. Princes had been our first choice when selecting our vacations.

We were told that the Crown had recently been in dry dock. However, you would be hard pressed to see how. We were later told by several of the staff nothing was done to the areas the passengers would notice. In fact, Princess had decided to make improvements to the passenger areas while it is service. The last few days of our cruise the coffee shop and adjacent seating area (International Cafe, Piazza, Deck 5) was boarded up (floor to ceiling) for a major renovation. If this sounds horrible it looked worse. Additionally, this was going to take 3 more weeks to complete, per the staff working in the area. There were many issues on this cruise but this one was unbelievable!! I have had this conversation with several Princess representatives and when I tell them this there is complete silence on the other end of the phone.....that should tell you something.

6 hours ago, cardinals52 said:

Princess had decided to make improvements to the passenger areas while it is service. The last few days of our cruise the coffee shop and adjacent seating area (International Cafe, Piazza, Deck 5) was boarded up (floor to ceiling) for a major renovation. If this sounds horrible it looked worse. Additionally, this was going to take 3 more weeks to complete, per the staff working in the area. There were many issues on this cruise but this one was unbelievable!! I have had this conversation with several Princess representatives and when I tell them this there is complete silence on the other end of the phone.....that should tell you something.

Wow!

I would be understanding if there was an emergency maintenance issue requiring closure of a passenger area. However, performing elective renovations that eliminate a 'favorite of many' service station while sailing with paying customers...

Ouch. 

I would never sail with Princess again if that occurred during a sailing that I paid hard-earned money for.  Princess used to be a somewhat classy line.

5 hours ago, Skai said:

Wow!

I would be understanding if there was an emergency maintenance issue requiring closure of a passenger area. However, performing elective renovations that eliminate a 'favorite of many' service station while sailing with paying customers...

Ouch. 

I would never sail with Princess again if that occurred during a sailing that I paid hard-earned money for.  Princess used to be a somewhat classy line.

Not that I would condone such repairs but what choice did Princess have in that situation?  :classic_huh: Obviously they couldn't have cancelled the complete cruise.

We just returned from 10 days on the Crown. This was our 3rd princess cruise, first on the Crown. We had a great cruise!! Great staff, good food, beautiful ship and lovely fellow passengers. We have cruised numerous cruise lines and the only ones we would not return to are Costa and NCL. We will definitely cruise Princess again. No, it’s not Regent or Paul Gauguin but we didn’t book Princess expecting to have those experiences again. We were very pleased with the Princess experience. 

• Like 1

We were on the Crown for 28 days, British Isles and then Transatlantic arriving FLL Oct. 8th. We had a great cruise and liked the ship. As far as the renovation, I noticed that most of the common areas and halls had new carpet. Hard to miss. Our room had new carpet and new carpet was still being installed in a few rooms on our floor. We are happy to be sailing on her again in February.

• Like 1

We were on the Crown for 28 days, British Isles and then Transatlantic arriving FLL Oct. 8th. We had a great cruise and liked the ship. As far as the renovation, I noticed that most of the common areas and halls had new carpet. Hard to miss. Our room had new carpet and new carpet was still being installed in a few rooms on our floor. We are happy to be sailing on her again in February.

We sailed on BOTH the Crown and Royal this year (2019).  Maybe I'm just not very observant, but the ships seemed identical to me.  We enjoyed both sailings, nothing overly negative for either one.  As others have pointed out, if you're the type to nit-pick you can always find *something* regardless as to whether it amounts to a hill of beans or not!

Sailed on the Crown 4 times and will be on her again in a few months, the Crown just always seems to be going where and when we want to go:classic_unsure:. Never been on a ship that is perfect and never will. The Crown is a good ship and has everything you need in order to have a good cruise. Don't sweat the small stuff, have fun and enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We sailed on BOTH the Crown and Royal this year (2019).  Maybe I'm just not very observant, but the ships seemed identical to me.  We enjoyed both sailings, nothing overly negative for either one.  As others have pointed out, if you're the type to nit-pick you can always find *something* regardless as to whether it amounts to a hill of beans or not!

Royal or Ruby? They have very different design. Each has own strong and weaker points. Crown/Ruby/Emerald/Caribbean as other sisters has 4 different pool areas, Royal and sisters have 2, but larger buffets and atriums.

3 hours ago, Fat Tuesday said:

Sailed on the Crown 4 times and will be on her again in a few months, the Crown just always seems to be going where and when we want to go:classic_unsure:. Never been on a ship that is perfect and never will. The Crown is a good ship and has everything you need in order to have a good cruise. Don't sweat the small stuff, have fun and enjoy your cruise.

We too have spent a decent amount of time on the Crown.....and have had no issues.

Looks like you will be joining us on her this March, and on the Sky in 2021.