BCN > Hotel > Cruise - Taxi or Bus?

FairportNY

First time to Barcelona - what is best, bus or taxi? For pre cruise to get from BCN to City Center (Hotel Jazz in City Center) for two people is it better to take Aerobus (time and cost) vs Taxi (time and cost)? When leaving for the cruise I thought I had read about a free shuttle (???), or what are options (time and cost) to take a bus or taxi from hotel to port?

We stayed at the Hotel Lleo, not far from the Jazz. We took the Aerobus to Pl Universitat then walked 2 blocks. 

It cost 5.90E pp for maybe a 20 minute ride. It made 2 quick stops before ours.  We walked out of the airport as the aerobus was arriving.  I'm a budget traveller so I'd definitely use the aerobus again.

I've read that a taxi from the airport is about 30E.   I suppose a cab would be quicker as long as there isn't a long line. And it would save you the 2 block walk if you can't easily manage your luggage.

We took a cab from our hotel to the pier.  About a10 minute drive.   10E for 2 people. 

• Thanks 1

We left Barcelona about a week ago after spending a month on a ship.  So my memory is reasonably fresh.

The cost of a taxi from the Hotel Barcelona Universal to the airport was E35.  This was the third time we have stayed at the Hotel Barcelona Universal, and each time we have  been impressed and pleased.  It is out of the touristy Las Rambas area, located right  beside a subway entrance (easy access to the subway system in addition to being the station for the funicular to Montjuic), and has great food.  Also a number of local restaurants within very short walk.

I suspect the "free shuttle" mentioned by the OP is the shuttle which transits along the various cruise terminals to the entrance of the port.  It used to be free, but hopefully someone who has used it recently can comment.  When we left the ship we took a taxi from the cruise terminal to the Hotel Barcelona Universal.  Due to slow traffic our cost in the metered cab was E14.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FairportNY said:

First time to Barcelona - what is best, bus or taxi? For pre cruise to get from BCN to City Center (Hotel Jazz in City Center) for two people is it better to take Aerobus (time and cost) vs Taxi (time and cost)? When leaving for the cruise I thought I had read about a free shuttle (???), or what are options (time and cost) to take a bus or taxi from hotel to port?

We stayed at the Jazz Hotel a few pre-cruise days this past May. Opt to take a taxi... Ours was 30 Euros after rounding up.

We also took a taxi from the hotel to the cruise port (a bit less) and cruise port back to BCN (39 Euros fixed rate)....quick and easy. Enjoy !!

• Thanks 1

We take a taxi from BCN to whichever hotel we are staying in.  Price runs about €35. 

Link to current taxi prices here

For transfer to cruise ship we normally take a taxi, but if it is first time in Barcelona you should consider a half day tour with drop off at the cruise port.  We have done this several times.

• Thanks 1

We have stayed in the Hotel Jazz (as well as others in Barcelona). We have been very happy with the taxi service in the city and have used it from airport to hotel and from hotel to port (as well as around town). I know that everyone's circumstances are different but for us easy, efficient and reasonably priced works.

• Thanks 1

Barcelona cruise shuttle is not free. 3 Euros pp, or 4 Euros for those day visiting and need a return ticket. Price is current, we were there last year plus I read it last month on the website. 

a taxi to the port may cost you only a few euros more ( can use online taxi estimater) which is a better option with luggage. The cruise bus sits around waiting to fill up, which can take awhile. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ldock said:

The cruise bus sits around waiting to fill up, which can take awhile. 

And then visits every cruise ship in port, so if you are on the ship closest - great! If your ship is docked furthest away then you may have a long trip.  Depends ofcourse on how many ships are in port that day.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure we will take a Taxi to the Hotel Atlantis in Oct. I got a quote this morning for a transfer from a company and they wanted 50 so wanted to check here to see what others had paid for a Taxi. Only way I would do the shuttle if we had others arriving the same time and could share. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

We've stayed in Barcelona 3 times previously, and each time, have taken a taxi from the airport to the hotel, and hotel to port.  We don't like having to drag our luggage onto public transportation, or down city streets, finding it much easier to load it into the back of a taxi, sit in, and have them take us to our destination.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

On 2/2/2020 at 8:23 PM, ger_77 said:

We've stayed in Barcelona 3 times previously, and each time, have taken a taxi from the airport to the hotel, and hotel to port.  We don't like having to drag our luggage onto public transportation, or down city streets, finding it much easier to load it into the back of a taxi, sit in, and have them take us to our destination.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Same here, in Barcelona we use taxis everywhere.  We have also been three times and used taxis each time.  We are also not fans of dragging luggage on public transportation or city streets.

• Like 1