Btimmer's Almost Live to the Amazon 2019 & Beyond

Btimmer

7 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Barbara,

There has been a conspicuous lack of mosquitoes despite all of the dire warnings issued in the Roll Call prior to the cruise. Several of our tour guides even commented about the lack of them.

As for us we brought bug spray and I applied it once but carried it.  We consulted with our doctors and were both advised by separate doctors to not get YF shots because of our ages. We also didn't obtain or take malaria pills.  We are cautious but not paranoid about our surroundings. 
If we were doing a multi day overland trek, I might have a different answer.

Tim, thanks for what you have seen and done.

Sorry that you have caught a cold.  Hope you are up to speed soon.

Barbara

18 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Barbara,

There has been a conspicuous lack of mosquitoes despite all of the dire warnings issued in the Roll Call prior to the cruise. Several of our tour guides even commented about the lack of them.

As for us we brought bug spray and I applied it once but carried it.  We consulted with our doctors and were both advised by separate doctors to not get YF shots because of our ages. We also didn't obtain or take malaria pills.  We are cautious but not paranoid about our surroundings. 

If we were doing a multi day overland trek, I might have a different answer.

Hi Tim

Really enjoying your blog and pictures....especially the Pink Dolphin!

We  did the Amazon/Brazil cruise Feb/2017 and followed the advise of the  Travel Clinic  including Yellow fever.  On our cruise back  in either Castries, Saint Lucia or Philipsburg,  St Martin,  Passengers were delayed from leaving the ship for over three hours.  The announcement was then  made that because we had come from Brazil the Local Authorities were  only allowing people with proof that they had been immunized for Yellow Fever off the  ship.  

I hope this policy have changed. 

Sue

Making more lemonade out of lemons

we're on this fantastic tour of Belem and our bus has a flat front tire.  We're waiting 20 minutes for a replacement bus. In the meantime, here are a few pics from so far today.

612863E4-BB8D-4BBE-A609-DA25561118CC.jpeg

6CAAC436-82A7-4B2C-A143-D418BBA78785.jpeg

EC7CFC93-B73E-464D-8C43-1FB26E55B5E0.jpeg

2D55E838-25C6-41F9-A715-741F25D2D933.jpeg

4CFBA669-A2D3-433B-9222-438AADB2F162.jpeg

3D4B554A-50DE-4B31-95B4-B9C2F2F8C1AB.jpeg

E93B3EF2-99DC-4C1F-8F1B-41D496CBA675.jpeg

295D9C45-3B74-4C60-9A36-3C2165B2FAA7.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, seeriteR said:

Just sitting here waiting for it! Will this be another 10:30 dinner day?

We made it to dinner around 7:45pm.

The Captain gave a long discourse on the tendering process problems that I'll try to recap in my daily blog.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The gist of it is that the Captain cited a combination of contracted local tenders not showing up, though less suitable ones did, rough waters and the fact that the dock used is a public (and very busy) dock, thus tenders got no priority. I don't have any trouble with that, but I wish that both on ship and shoreside, more efforts had been made to keep passengers informed of the situation and the scope of the likely delays.

By the way, Thomas, the entertainment host or whatever they are calling them these days, was among those delayed and was 45 minutes late for afternoon trivia. We filled the time with an impromptu quiz and there was no unhappiness in the Crow's Nest.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 2