Back to Back Princess what to know

Notonboard

49 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

It appears from the roll calls that the OP is on Regal Princess Nov 24 and moves to Sky Princess for Dec. 1 cruise.  EM

If this is correct, this isn't a typical B2B.  There have been posts of the problem of getting from one ship to the other.  Apparently, Princess does not provide transit from one ship to the other.

14 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

When you disembark ship 1, take a taxi to ship 2 (tip well), and embark there. You might want a later disembarkation to minimize your waiting.

...and know that there is a minimum fare ($10, I think) for taxi rides within the port area. I have had some occasions when the taxi has refused to take us, but a Deputy stepped in and told one drive to take us....

1 hour ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

If this is correct, this isn't a typical B2B.  There have been posts of the problem of getting from one ship to the other.  Apparently, Princess does not provide transit from one ship to the other.

I have changed ships (both princess) in Fl Lauderdale, distant piers, Princess provided transportation. However, I did make the request to Passenger Services prior to the day of changing. So you are not correct.

Edited by weedpindle
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

...and know that there is a minimum fare ($10, I think) for taxi rides within the port area. I have had some occasions when the taxi has refused to take us, but a Deputy stepped in and told one drive to take us....

I have changed ships (both princess) in Fl Lauderdale, distant piers, Princess provided transportation. However, I did make the request to Passenger Services prior to the day of changing.

13 minutes ago, weedpindle said:

I have changed ships (both princess) in Fl Lauderdale, distant piers, Princess provided transportation. However, I did make the request to Passenger Services prior to the day of changing. So you are not correct.

Did you have to "carry" your luggage or did Princess do it?

We have been provided a free shuttle (we were obviously responsible for our luggage) to our departure terminal/garage when our Princess ship returned to a different terminal and that could very well be the OP's case if the Regal departs from terminal 2 but returns to another (since I presume the Sky will get terminal 2 that usually goes to the newest Princess ship in port).  Just ask at the Purser's desk halfway through your cruise.

Edited by capriccio

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

It appears from the roll calls that the OP is on Regal Princess Nov 24 and moves to Sky Princess for Dec. 1 cruise.  EM

Assuming these are the correct ships and port pretty sure the Regal will be at pier 2 as since it will be doing 7 day Sunday sailings throughout the season. The Sky will most likely be at a mid port pier.

9 hours ago, Notonboard said:

This is my first back to back to back cruises. Was hoping someone could give me their experience of changing from one ship to do back to back on another. 

The easiest way to transfer between pier 2 and the mid port is is a taxi. Exit the Regal as late as possible which will be around 9:30. Bring your luggage to the Sky and drop it, that is one option. If the Sky is at pier 4 you can just walk over there. The piers are directly next to each other. My understanding is that boarding of the Sky will not begin until late afternoon. You will then have to find something to do until then, rent a car? Take the Sun Trolley to the beach area, downtown or to the mall? Your choice.

Here is the information on turn around day on the Sky.

B2b process in Ft. Lauderdale

You will be required to go through immigration on turn around day where your passport will be inspected. You will receive instructions in your cabin. Read and follow them exactly. If just one person does not follow the instructions there will be delays for all until that person is located. There will two options:

If you decide to stay on the ship you MUST report to the location, usually the theater, at the time indicated, usually around 9:30 or so. You will need your passport and medallion. There you will wait until you are guided  by a staff member as a group through immigration and back on the ship.

If you decide to leave the ship you may do so at any time up until the final disembarkation, around 9:30. Take your passport, medallion and the intransit cards provided to you in your cabin. You can then re-board anytime after general boarding has begun, around 11:30. With the intransit card once you go through security you go directly to the gangplank.

Cabin:

Your luggage and others items remain on the ship. If you are staying in the same cabin the cabin steward will clean your cabin just like any other day. As a courtesy we normally mention to our steward feel free to clean our room last.

If you are changing cabins speak with your cabin steward ahead of time. The cabin steward will arrange to have your belongings moved. Keep as much on hangers as possible. These items will be moved on hangers and hung in your new cabin. Other items can be placed into one of your suitcases. Once your new cabin is clear you may be able to place some of your items, such as belongings you keep in the cabin safe, maybe some toiletries, into the cabin yourself. 

I'm also going from the Regal to the Sky on 12/1 and have been watching the berth situation.   This is going to be a record-breaking day in Port Everglades.  There are 9 ships scheduled and only 8 cruise berths.  The Port Everglades schedule (there's an app for the berthing schedule called Cruise Schedule Port Everglades that's published by the port authority).  It shows both Sky and Regal arriving at 6 am to berth 2.  Obviously, that's not right and there's actually not any place for the Sky to berth.  It's very unclear what is actually going to happen.

We plan on disembarking Regal as late as possible, cabbing (if needed) to the Sky and drop off luggage (unless Princess will transfer for us) and then we are going over to the central beach area to brunch and hang out.  We will go back over to the pier late afternoon to board.

We also could not get our Medallions mailed to us for the Sky.  Princess recognizes the trip as a back to back but because it involves different ships, somehow their system can't manage this.  We have to pick up the medallions at the pier.  (we got the regal medallions just fine)

7 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We have been provided a free shuttle (we were obviously responsible for our luggage) to our departure terminal/garage when our Princess ship returned to a different terminal and that could very well be the OP's case if the Regal departs from terminal 2 but returns to another (since I presume the Sky will get terminal 2 that usually goes to the newest Princess ship in port).  Just ask at the Purser's desk halfway through your cruise.

I don't think the Sky will be at pier 2. The Regal is sailing on Sundays all season. The Sky is only there on Sunday on December 1st. After its two 3 day voyages it switches to Saturday sailings all season most likely from pier 2.

1 hour ago, CruisinChris said:

I'm also going from the Regal to the Sky on 12/1 and have been watching the berth situation.   This is going to be a record-breaking day in Port Everglades.  There are 9 ships scheduled and only 8 cruise berths.  The Port Everglades schedule (there's an app for the berthing schedule called Cruise Schedule Port Everglades that's published by the port authority).  It shows both Sky and Regal arriving at 6 am to berth 2.  Obviously, that's not right and there's actually not any place for the Sky to berth.  It's very unclear what is actually going to happen.

We plan on disembarking Regal as late as possible, cabbing (if needed) to the Sky and drop off luggage (unless Princess will transfer for us) and then we are going over to the central beach area to brunch and hang out.  We will go back over to the pier late afternoon to board.

We also could not get our Medallions mailed to us for the Sky.  Princess recognizes the trip as a back to back but because it involves different ships, somehow their system can't manage this.  We have to pick up the medallions at the pier.  (we got the regal medallions just fine)

When I look at the Port Everglades ship schedule, I'm only seeing 8 cruise ships, not 9, on Dec 1, with Sky and Regal both showing T2, as mentioned.  But there's no ship currently scheduled for T21, so one of the ships will end up there.

So the question is:

1) will the passengers on the Regal be inconvenienced by departing from T2 on Nov 24 and returning to T21 on Dec 1,

2)  will the Sky Princess passengers be inconvenienced by departing from T21 on Dec 1 and returning to T2 on Dec 4, 

3) Or, as someone on one of the Sky roll calls suggested, because of the Sky's late departure, might they move the Sky Princess from T21 to T2 after the Regal departs at 4 pm on Dec 1? (Which could inconvenience in-transit passengers who are doing a B2B with the Sky's TA cruise.)

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CruisinChris said:

CastelRock - I was including Jaume Ii (the Baleria ferry) in my count because she counts toward the total passengers handled in a day.  Thanks for pointing out that T21 is open.  Much appreciated.  🙂

Thanks for the clarification.  No matter which way you look at it, Dec 1 is going to be a very busy day at Port Everglades!

🛳️🛳️🛳️🛳️🛳️🛳️🛳️🛳️⛴️

I have done this twice at Port Everglades. The first time I took the free shuttle because the next ship was on the other side. The second time there was a specific time for people transferring to the next ship, we were told we would have someone walk us there. Someone pointed me in the direction and  I carried my luggage to the next ship.  It wasn't a far walk, but it was raining and I felt bad for the older couples that were following me.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:36 AM, CastleRockCruiser said:

3) Or, as someone on one of the Sky roll calls suggested, because of the Sky's late departure, might they move the Sky Princess from T21 to T2 after the Regal departs at 4 pm on Dec 1?

Others have reported that Sky has late boarding starting at 5, so this is my guess.  The people staying on will likely either do the immigration onboard or get off and on at T21 before it sails over to T2.  

On 11/14/2019 at 10:19 AM, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Did you have to "carry" your luggage or did Princess do it?

Off the first ship just like other pass ( yes, toted luggage since we had to go through customs/immigration), then on to bus

Edited by weedpindle

On 11/14/2019 at 10:53 AM, skynight said:

I don't think the Sky will be at pier 2. The Regal is sailing on Sundays all season. The Sky is only there on Sunday on December 1st. After its two 3 day voyages it switches to Saturday sailings all season most likely from pier 2.

Your exclamation makes a lot of sense.  I suggest that since the Sky is arriving after her maiden transatlantic voyage and needs to go through a full ship customs and immigration process along with a Coast Guard inspection, it might mean she would get the larger terminal and the Regal might be at 21.  Technically, the Sky is larger but that might be a factor to location.  The fact is we won't know for sure until next week when we can see where the Harbormaster says she will be berthed. Since the Sky is the only Princess ship in PE on the 4th, we can expect her to be at 2 when she returns.

For us, if the Sky starts at 21 and ends at 2 we will park the car at 2 and take the shuttle to 21 so we can walk off on the 4th directly to our car.