Carnival Vacation Guarantee

lbt43

On my September Fascination cruise we were 2nd couple off the ship & there was a gentleman standing next to a porter’s cart full of luggage waiting to get off (St Maarten was the port)   I couldn’t imagine being so dissatisfied with a cruise that within 24 hours be willing to exit my vacation so quickly.

11 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

On my September Fascination cruise we were 2nd couple off the ship & there was a gentleman standing next to a porter’s cart full of luggage waiting to get off (St Maarten was the port)   I couldn’t imagine being so dissatisfied with a cruise that within 24 hours be willing to exit my vacation so quickly.

Do you know if he was using the guarantee? Or, maybe there was some emergency?

Edited by amyotravel

The main issue for me is I was on this ship about a month ago and I had such a bad time, I just straight up cancelled one I had booked for Nov 3.  I have another for Dec 15 and I am already dreading it, but I was thinking I would give them a chance.  However, if the same issues are prevalent, I will want to get off immediately.  The ship had mildew stench and sewage stench among other things.  One night I had to leave my room the mildew smell was so bad, plus the A/C was BARELY working.  It was about 73 in my room with the AC on the lowest setting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lbt43 said:

The main issue for me is I was on this ship about a month ago and I had such a bad time, I just straight up cancelled one I had booked for Nov 3.  I have another for Dec 15 and I am already dreading it, but I was thinking I would give them a chance.  However, if the same issues are prevalent, I will want to get off immediately.  The ship had mildew stench and sewage stench among other things.  One night I had to leave my room the mildew smell was so bad, plus the A/C was BARELY working.  It was about 73 in my room with the AC on the lowest setting.

What ship before and what ship now? Can greatly vary ship to ship. 

25 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

Do you know if he was using the guarantee? Or, maybe there was some emergency?

I don’t know if he was electing the guarantee, emergency or what.  I do know it was the 1st port & within 24 hours.  Thought it was strange having so much luggage & waiting by the gangway.  By the way, St Maarten was not the scheduled 1st port on our trip (St Thomas was).  We went thru several changes due to weather & which may have upset some pax.

3 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

Are you really concerned about hating your vacation less than 24 hours after starting it?

image.thumb.png.35bea5268e5590439b9d1231beb72f26.png

On our last cruise many people seemed to be hating it, but we also had an itinerary change (which is excluded from the guarantee).  I don't know if they could have invoked the guarantee for other reasons, since I didn't see anything about people trying to use it.

7 hours ago, lbt43 said:

Sounds like if you are unhappy now, it will certainly fail, curiously, what temp would you expect in your room?

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

I was on a cruise that hit bad weather right out of the port. Several people asked for this and the honored when the ship docked in Mexico. I know of another couple who used it because they were having marriage trouble but made up a good story so Carnival flew them home. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Not the quoted poster, but I would expect mid to high 60's in cabin with a/c at max.

I track temps with a small digital thermometer.  I think expectations of anything lower than that is unreasonable.

• Like 1

Lower than mid-high 60's or lower than 73 is unreasonable?  I would find 73 ok (maybe a little warm for sleeping), but I tend to like things warm.  Many people keep their houses cooler than mid 70's, and would likely expect similar temperatures onboard.

• Like 1

I once listened to an interview with someone who works for Carnival, and what that person said was that the few people who actually use this benefit do so because of an emergency back home which caused them to need to fly back that early.  I doubt there are many people that hate their cruise so much during the first 24 hours causing them to want to use the benefit.

54 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Lower than mid-high 60's or lower than 73 is unreasonable?  I would find 73 ok (maybe a little warm for sleeping), but I tend to like things warm.  Many people keep their houses cooler than mid 70's, and would likely expect similar temperatures onboard.

Just stating what is possible.  High 60’s is the optimal in general.  Lower 70’s is better than the average. Check our southern electric companies and see their recommendations.  Really brought it up as a reference point, more than a debate topic. 

51 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

I once listened to an interview with someone who works for Carnival, and what that person said was that the few people who actually use this benefit do so because of an emergency back home which caused them to need to fly back that early.  I doubt there are many people that hate their cruise so much during the first 24 hours causing them to want to use the benefit.

I have heard execs talk to this topic and the actual number is amazingly low.   

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Just stating what is possible.  High 60’s is the optimal in general.  Lower 70’s is better than the average. Check our southern electric companies and see their recommendations.  Really brought it up as a reference point, more than a debate topic. 

Thanks.  I wasn't looking for debate either, just clarification.  I'm sure your CT electric company has a different set of guidelines than your FL company 😉 

I cruised Magic in September and had issues with the room being warm the first day, from the cabin doors all being open so they could clean. But by second day it was fine.

No sewage or mildew smells on our floor (7315), but I had read that on the forums before the cruise. So I walked the entire ship and did notice it in some places, I am thinking on the 2nd or 3rd levels, it was low on the ship.

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Thanks.  I wasn't looking for debate either, just clarification.  I'm sure your CT electric company has a different set of guidelines than your FL company 😉 

Not sure about that, but I can tell you they have a different billing system, it has an extra digit.  I have been told it the THE most expensive in the country, good ole FPL is doing us jjjuuuusssttttt fine

On 11/18/2019 at 7:45 AM, jimbo5544 said:

I track temps with a small digital thermometer.  I think expectations of anything lower than that is unreasonable.

Just out of curiosity, with everything to do on the ship why you would track the room temperature?

I have had my room to the point that it could be confused for a polar bear enclosure on more than 1 trip. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stetucke said:

Just out of curiosity, with everything to do on the ship why you would track the room temperature?

I have had my room to the point that it could be confused for a polar bear enclosure on more than 1 trip. 

Well the thermometer does the actual tracking, I just turn it on, so there is no effort on my part.  The reason I started is that we travel in groups, sometimes with new cruisers.  It had come up a couple of times where people were questioning what temperature the cabins got to, it being hard to tell with the color coded wall gauge.  I had acquired the gauge for work purposes and just added it to my travel bag.  For the record, you. Would be surprised what people thought temperatures were as compared to what they really were.  Thanks for worrying about my time on the ship tho.

• Like 1