Top shelf drinks package

Del Mag

9 hours ago, Canadian Disney Mom said:

I am a pack rat and have all my Cruise Planner emails from previous purchases.  I purchased a Select package on 7/10/16 for a 8/26/2016 cruise.  It is perfectly feasible that Del's friend had prepurchased a Select Package (beer and wine) and upgraded to a Deluxe onboard.

Still not a "top shelf package."

They used to have a lower and higher alcohol package, but that was a long time ago.

• Like 1

Summer/Fall of 2016 was was they introduced the Deluxe package and eliminated the others.  I was sailing Oasis in October and purchased the premium package.  This was from my confirmation email for two guests:

BEVERAGE PACKAGES

Premium Beverage Package Special Offer

Total Cost: 726.88 USD

As we got closer to sailing when they introduced the Deluxe package our Premium package became the Deluxe package.  I recall doing the math when Deluxe starting appearing in the cruise planner since I wanted to see if there would be savings by cancelling Premium and booking Deluxe.  It was basically the same price, very small difference if I recall.

I recall there was something that wasn't in the Premium package, maybe specialty coffee, or bottled water, or something else.  There was something that made Deluxe look more attractive.  Maybe it was smoothies at Vitality Spa.  I can't recall specifically.  

At any rate today Royal doesn't have high end alcohol.  No Lagavulin, no Hendricks (Celebrity has Hendricks).  Some ships have Ardbeg, many do not.  Most Scotch is from the lower end of the range.  A couple single malt, a couple blends.  Basic table Scotch.  Grey Goose or Belvedere vodka,  Bombay Sapphire gin.   

not sure where you got the idea that Royal was a high end luxury cruise of a lifetime product.

you are a very minuscule percentage of the typical cruise goer on a mainstream line.   people do not cruise for high end  liquor.  so they don't cater to that crowd and don't stock something that might get ordered once a year on one ship.

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Still not a "top shelf package."

They used to have a lower and higher alcohol package, but that was a long time ago.

yes I understand but I was just correcting the assumption above that Del’s friend could not have upgraded their drink package.  Since I have been cruising with royal I thought  they had only had two alcohol package options - select and premium - and then the Select was removed And premium became deluxe near the end of 2016.

edit:

I just googled and found this In an article on gambee’s site.  It looks likes the only difference between Ultimate and premium might have been coffee/tea

2D7705D9-E791-4ED8-98D8-7576E5A0700C.jpeg

D9E6A56F-30CD-4CA4-96F5-4A611F7FD74D.png

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom
  • Like 1

I’m also a craft beer snob and will be on Rhapsody next week.  That ship does not have a pub or other bar dedicated to beer, so I’m expecting to not drink any as I’d rather choose a cocktail than the standard offerings.

My only other RCCL trip was 7 years ago on Explorer and I was surprised they had an ok selection in their pub.  Not sure what it’s like these days as the industry (and my preferences) have changed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The craft beer selection on Royal ships is nearly

non existent in my experience. As far as gin goes I stick with Hendricks, can’t say I’ve seen anything “original” but really never looked. For cider I have seen both Strongbow and Angry Orchard. 

RCCL doesn't offer 'Hendricks" anymore in the package. They may not have it on board anymore at all. I know because I drink "Hendricks". The last few cruise I have taken on RCCL ships (Harmony, Oasis, Mariner, Enchantment) they had replaced "Hendricks" with "Aviation". Not as good IMHO, but not really bad either.

• Like 1

I have all of the bar menus from the Liberty of the Seas this Summer. I found pretty much everything to be included in my package. Hopefully, the menus can help you figure out if they have what you want. Sometimes you have to hunt for what you are looking for. For example, I didn't find Four Roses Single Barrel until the last night of the cruise. Prices may be slightly higher on some ships, although their drink packages tend to cover an extra dollar or two per drink.

• Like 1

To everyone who has posted on this, I thank you.  All of the information supplied has been very helpful and I have a much greater understanding of what this cruise and offerings is all about and likely to be, this forum and the users are pretty decent I have to say.  Basically the top shelf is there to be had but at a premium above the deluxe package and this has my mind at ease as to spending a little more when I need to buy the better booze.  Aside from being a tad fussy I would say that most decent pubs have woken up to a surge in the nation’s appetite for a variety of drinks that allow you to enjoy what is on offer rather than just get drunk, micro-breweries, many nations doing malts, gins and vodka and all opening the mind and palate to options beyond what the pubs chains are wanting to give us.  I recall a whisky tasting where the large drinks firm (very large) predicted that rum would be the next big thing ... gin was actually the winner but rum may be next but the point is that the big firms are keen that we open our minds to premium or top shelf as well as the regular.  Fusspot signing off now

On 11/16/2019 at 4:45 PM, Del Mag said:

I will be looking for malt whisky (10-20 year), decent and original gins (not the usual Gordons or Bombay Sapphire), craft beers/real ale, cocktails, others with me Strongbow cider + their horrible fruity one

I was on the Freedom Of The Seas last year and there were a couple single malts available - Ardbeg 10y, Talisker 10y, Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12.... also some good blends, such as Chivas 18y etc. All of them covered in the Deluxe Beverage Package. No single malt over 12y unfortunately, but still well worth it imho.

Edited by mmhardky