Top shelf drinks package

Del Mag

Hoping you can help a complete cruise novice. Booked up for Rhapsody of the Seas next June and the best drinks package is average at best with entry level branded drinks, no malts and no top shelf.  I’ve called RC and the helpful American lady could not provide any information other than what is on the website.  I’m pretty disappointed with the Deluxe offer as people I know who have been on RC ships extol the virtues of their Ultimate or Platinum package.  Any ideas anyone please

9 minutes ago, Del Mag said:

Hoping you can help a complete cruise novice. Booked up for Rhapsody of the Seas next June and the best drinks package is average at best with entry level branded drinks, no malts and no top shelf.  I’ve called RC and the helpful American lady could not provide any information other than what is on the website.  I’m pretty disappointed with the Deluxe offer as people I know who have been on RC ships extol the virtues of their Ultimate or Platinum package.  Any ideas anyone please

Royal Caribbean's sister cruise line Celebrity offers 3 different alcoholic beverage packages: standard, classic and premium (although the standard package is not always available).  However, Royal Caribbean itself offers only the one.  They seem to assume that Celebrity is their more upscale line and that anyone who really wants upscale drinks will choose Celebrity.

Thanks act, pretty poor thinking if that is the case as, in my ignorance, I thought that Royal Caribbean was upmarket compared to the opposition anyway.  If this pans out this way then I will be giving RC a wide berth for the next cruise

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Del Mag said:

I know people who were on RC last year and they signed up to a better package

Can't explain that because Royal has had only one alcoholic beverage package for several years now.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Del Mag said:

I will be looking for malt whisky (10-20 year), decent and original gins (not the usual Gordons or Bombay Sapphire), craft beers/real ale, cocktails, others with me Strongbow cider + their horrible fruity one

The craft beer selection on Royal ships is nearly

non existent in my experience. As far as gin goes I stick with Hendricks, can’t say I’ve seen anything “original” but really never looked. For cider I have seen both Strongbow and Angry Orchard. 

• Like 1

Oh well, have to be more selective next cruise.  They seem to have the Botanist hidden at the end of the list so that is a decent gin (as long as they don’t run out), just hoping they have something that would qualify as real ale or beer as against mass produced stuff

22 minutes ago, Del Mag said:

Anthem of the Seas, 2016 (I thought it was last year!!!!)

The only thing that may have changed from then to now is that the name of the package  - the stuff actually available is probably the same. You can get all kinds of top shelf stuff, you may just pay a bit more over the $12-13 allowance of the drink package. There's a whole thread on what's available and what people like to drink - if you can't find it someone here can point you to it.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Del Mag said:

Oh well, have to be more selective next cruise.  They seem to have the Botanist hidden at the end of the list so that is a decent gin (as long as they don’t run out), just hoping they have something that would qualify as real ale or beer as against mass produced stuff

I see what you mean about the scotch, nothing older or more distinctive then regular Glenlevit or Glenfiddish. Maybe you'll get a pleasant surprise and they'll have something better that's not listed, seems like they might, since there are many scotch aficionados today.

I feel the same way about the wine (and beer) selection, then it occurred to me that cruise lines need to buy whatever brands that they can get in large quantities, to have a consistent list on all the ships they operate. Some cruisers have said the ships may have something better onboard so it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm thinking with all the choices they do offer, we'll figure something out.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Del Mag said:

No they didn't.

The package has been this way for at least 3 - 4 years.

The Deluxe package covers up to a certain amount per drink.  Some wines, and the top few spirits may top the limit, but then you only pay the difference, plus 18% of the difference.

So it package covers to $13, and you order something that is $14, you only pay $1 + $0.18 - $1.18 for the top top shelf.

They a few single malts, but nothing special.  Basic 8 - 10 year old Speysides.  No top Highlands or any Island or Islays.

Edited by SRF
  • Like 2

They do have a few different brands sometimes when the ships are in Europe. On Indy this summer they had quite a few gins including some flavoured ones, I assume it was for us Brits so don't know if they have them in the Med too. DH is a cider drinker, Strongbow always seems to be available these days, occasionally Magners in Europe but never anything a bit more unusual. 

• Like 1

I've just about got my head around it now, still disappointed that there isn't a top shelf package that would allow me to drink the best without reaching for my wallet but I get that there is the option to pay the +$12 for the better stuff.  Offhand I do think that a supposed luxury holiday of a lifetime cruise operator should have the top end option but perhaps I am on the wrong ship with the wrong operator to fulfil that expectation.  I hope I am not coming across as unnecessarily fussy because I know I am that annoying sod stood at the bar trying to spot a particular beer or spirit whilst the crowd are happy to drink whatever the pub chain are fishing out to the masses.

Thanks all for the replies

1 minute ago, Del Mag said:

Offhand I do think that a supposed luxury holiday of a lifetime cruise operator should have the top end option but perhaps I am on the wrong ship with the wrong operator to fulfil that expectation.  

I think you may need to adjust your expectations with RCI.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Del Mag said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Royal Caribbean only has one alcohol package - you might want to check with your friends as to what they were referring to.  Also, RC is a good mainstream line - not a luxury line. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Del Mag said:

I've just about got my head around it now, still disappointed that there isn't a top shelf package that would allow me to drink the best without reaching for my wallet but I get that there is the option to pay the +$12 for the better stuff.  Offhand I do think that a supposed luxury holiday of a lifetime cruise operator should have the top end option but perhaps I am on the wrong ship with the wrong operator to fulfil that expectation.  I hope I am not coming across as unnecessarily fussy because I know I am that annoying sod stood at the bar trying to spot a particular beer or spirit whilst the crowd are happy to drink whatever the pub chain are fishing out to the masses.

Nothing wrong with being fussy About your Drinks.

You just Need to set your expectations to not get disappointed. Royal certainly in not the "luxury Holiday of a Lifetime cruise Operator". That´s not the league they are playing in and that´s not what they even want to be. 

They provide a good mass market product, but they are not a luxury cruise line. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Del Mag said:

7 hours ago, Del Mag said:

Anthem of the Seas, 2016 (I thought it was last year!!!!)

6 hours ago, SRF said:

No they didn't.

The package has been this way for at least 3 - 4 years.

I am a pack rat and have all my Cruise Planner emails from previous purchases.  I purchased a Select package on 7/10/16 for a 8/26/2016 cruise.  It is perfectly feasible that Del's friend had prepurchased a Select Package (beer and wine) and upgraded to a Deluxe onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Del Mag said:

As has been said, very few of the top shelf spirits on board are above the package price.

They just don't have that many really top shelf spirits.

If you want those, don't cruise on Royal, they are not that type of line.  You need to start researching the luxury lines.

• Like 2