Confusing deck plans for Oasis

rucruisn2

We are going on Oasis in March and I booked us on deck 11 as it shows the diamond lounge on that deck.  Yet it also shows diamond lounge on deck 4. And yet a different deck plan for the same ship and sail date show deck 11 having a card room.  So,  how do I figure out where the diamond lounge really is?

15 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

We are going on Oasis in March and I booked us on deck 11 as it shows the diamond lounge on that deck.  Yet it also shows diamond lounge on deck 4. And yet a different deck plan for the same ship and sail date show deck 11 having a card room.  So,  how do I figure out where the diamond lounge really is?

It used to be on deck 11.  However, it will have been relocated to deck 4 when the Oasis comes out of dry dock.  The old lounge on deck 11 used to have a beautiful view.  The new one on deck 4 will not be as large and will not have any view at all.  That tells us something about what the people in Royal's executive offices think about C&A members who are not Pinnacles and are not sailing in the top suites.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, actuarian said:

It used to be on deck 11.  However, it will have been relocated to deck 4 when the Oasis comes out of dry dock.  The old lounge on deck 11 used to have a beautiful view.  The new one on deck 4 will not be as large and will not have any view at all.  That tells us something about what the people in Royal's executive offices think about C&A members who are not Pinnacles and are not sailing in the top suites.

You’re so right about what RCL thinks about C&A members. Disappointing after so many years it took to obtain status. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, actuarian said:

.  The new one on deck 4 will not be as large and will not have any view at all.  

Don't get carried away.  They installed a virtually balcony behind the ambassadors desk on Symphony, something to look forward to on Allure and Oasis.  If you find the perfect spot to sit, and make sure no one gets in your way, have four or five free cocktails and the sun is still up it is almost a real view.  Extra bonus, you don't have to deal with the heat and glare of a real window. Royal is making things better, in their opinion, for us lowly Diamonds. Happy viewless happy hour cruising. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

'Free' things, whether that be drink or otherwise, will in my opinion also come to a stop in the sense that we understand now. Lounges occupy very valuable real estate on ships and for most of us who patronise them know they create little if any revenue that the cruise line hasn't already got from us!

I certainly DO NOT condone the posters aggressive attitude to others on here, but alas I believe there's more than an element of truth to what they've said!

Nothing is "free" on a cruise.  My wife and I have been on a total of 91 cruises.  If all 91 had been on Royal Caribbean, we would have over 800 C&A points now and would have become Pinnacles about a year ago.  However, 40 of those 91 cruises have been on other cruise lines so we have only a little over 450 points and are only Diamond+.  People "pay" for their loyalty benefits by giving up the variety of experiences that comes from cruising on many different cruise lines.  Like anything else that people pay for, people have a right to feel entitled to their loyalty perks and, if those perks are not delivered, then there will be no reason to cruise repeatedly on the same line instead of shopping around for variety.  As it is, whenever we think about booking another cruise on a cruise line other than Royal, we find ourselves thinking "if we do that, we will never earn the 242 points that we still need to make Pinnacle."  If perks are reduced, we will no longer think that way.

None of that changes the fact that we are fortunate to be able to cruise at all.  Of course we are.  It just means that we feel as entitled to get what we pay for as we would be if we spent the money on expensive cars instead of on cruises.  The perks are part of what we pay for even though that part of the payment is in the form of loyalty to Royal rather than cash.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, actuarian said:

Nothing is "free" on a cruise.  My wife and I have been on a total of 91 cruises.  If all 91 had been on Royal Caribbean, we would have over 800 C&A points now and would have become Pinnacles about a year ago.  However, 40 of those 91 cruises have been on other cruise lines so we have only a little over 450 points and are only Diamond+.  People "pay" for their loyalty benefits by giving up the variety of experiences that comes from cruising on many different cruise lines.  Like anything else that people pay for, people have a right to feel entitled to their loyalty perks and, if those perks are not delivered, then there will be no reason to cruise repeatedly on the same line instead of shopping around for variety.  As it is, whenever we think about booking another cruise on a cruise line other than Royal, we find ourselves thinking "if we do that, we will never earn the 242 points that we still need to make Pinnacle."  If perks are reduced, we will no longer think that way.

None of that changes the fact that we are fortunate to be able to cruise at all.  Of course we are.  It just means that we feel as entitled to get what we pay for as we would be if we spent the money on expensive cars instead of on cruises.  The perks are part of what we pay for even though that part of the payment is in the form of loyalty to Royal rather than cash.

You're exactly right when you say nothing is free - hence my comment about having already have paid for it somewhere.

I know from younger cruising friends that there's a belief growing in the industry that it should be on actual spend rather than accrued spend. The industry is hugely competitive now and I firmly believe that the appearance of slides and more 'younger' aspects to a cruise ship means that, as I put in my earlier post, cruise lines are only really interested in getting the cash from you now in as many ways as possible.

We all know that a great percentage of people who sit in the lounges rarely spend anymore than they have done already to get on the ship in the first place aside from maybe a dining option or two, so employing staff in lounges, supplying drinks for nothing isn't that important to them - look at the fleet, few lounges if any are getting moved into bigger areas?

They will trim down the perks, they will make us pay more for our cruise, when we actually pay for it AND when we board and as you've already found, there's plenty of options to cruise and I know that staying 100% loyal to RCCL isn't all it's cracked up to be and they certainly won't get me also staying on for another few hundred nights just to claim that magical Pinnacle badge either!

I think they'll go down the path of discounted dining & drinks packages, more internet, higher discount at booking (my wife and BOTH get 10% each off due to our occupations already) and maybe a higher number of drinks on the SP card everyday.

If you look at options like these, they also reward the non drinkers for instance, the families who cruise together and more ... It's a more rounded scheme than it is now.

It would get my vote anyway! 

Happy Cruising

I am the original poster on this thread, and all I wanted to know was which deck plan was correct!  I am not looking for "free" drinks as I can afford to buy what I want.  I was looking for a quiet place to sit in the afternoon when my DH likes to take a short nap.  I thought the diamond lounge would be a good place, if on our deck, and maybe have a coffee.  We haven't been on Royal for a few years, but we were on the Oasis years ago and I seem to remember the lounge on deck 4.  But I get all these "Of The Seas" mixed up and I know the Oasis is remodeled . For a poster to look for hidden meaning or think I'm trying to get something for free is offensive.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

I am the original poster on this thread, and all I wanted to know was which deck plan was correct!  I am not looking for "free" drinks as I can afford to buy what I want.  I was looking for a quiet place to sit in the afternoon when my DH likes to take a short nap.  I thought the diamond lounge would be a good place, if on our deck, and maybe have a coffee.  We haven't been on Royal for a few years, but we were on the Oasis years ago and I seem to remember the lounge on deck 4.  But I get all these "Of The Seas" mixed up and I know the Oasis is remodeled . For a poster to look for hidden meaning or think I'm trying to get something for free is offensive.  

Some times what happens - often actually - is that as a thread starts to drift off-topic, someone will come along, twist it around, get up on their soap box and turn the thread into a referendum on a topic totally different from the OP intent.

I believe this is what happened here.  Don't be offended or take it personally.  Those of us that can follow a thread from begin to end know yours was an innocent inquiry and nothing more nefarious.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

(my wife and BOTH get 10% each off due to our occupations already) 

Do tell.  Where can I find out about occupational discounts?  I know they sometimes discount rooms based on military or first responder, seniors, or residents.  That is not a guarantee of getting a discount.

16 hours ago, rucruisn2 said:

Threads go sideways when people reply in rude ways that the poster who answered a few posts down did!

It also seems that their posts and replies to their posts have disappeared somewhat?

For what it's worth, as great as the location and view on the 'unchanged' Oasis was, if it's moved to deck 4 (nr the Ice Rink) it'll still suit your needs and from experience on her sister ships, the 'new' location is more than satisfactory for a 'chill' zone and a coffee or two!

Enjoy!

On 11/18/2019 at 5:25 AM, ZiggaZagga17 said:

My wife is a Senior Nursing Sister and I'm an Armed Forces veteran, so we both hold a 'Blue Light' card which gets us 10% each on top of our loyalty discount for a balcony and the like!

Thank you for your service.  I had never heard of that before but it is nice that you both get recognized for your sacrifices.  

6 hours ago, KuffMUp said:

Thank you for your service.  I had never heard of that before but it is nice that you both get recognized for your sacrifices.  

Thank you 

If I'm honest it's something I've only been notified of very recently by a poster here on CC. I personally hold a Veterans Discount Card which is very similar but doesn't carry any RCCL discount, but the Blue Light one does and although it would make you believe it's for emergency services only, it has the addition of Armed Forces too!

That said, it's like most things - it's use is only with RCCL direct, so there can be times when bargains can be had elsewhere, and of course that's not meant to sound ungrateful!

Edited by ZiggaZagga17

On 11/17/2019 at 3:39 PM, rucruisn2 said:

I was looking for a quiet place to sit in the afternoon when my DH likes to take a short nap.

The Diamond Lounge isn't a guarantee of a quiet place to sit, if loud people are there.

There are, however, multiple quiet places to sit on such a large ship -- take a walk and find your favorite. 

Many bars/lounges are unoccupied (and also unlocked/available) in the afternoon -- my Kindle and I have been known to find an isolated spot here and there to enjoy the solitude (and air conditioning).