Drink (Package) Questions

piggiepuff

Good morning!  We haven't done Celebrity before and with their current offers, it seems like the best deal for us.  I was just curious... how much are the drinks on board usually?  If you get the free drink package as a perk, is it possible to upgrade to the Premium package - and is it worth it to do that?  We've never done a drink package on our cruises, but since it's a good perk, I thought I'd ask a few questions.  Thanks!

The classic package is a great perk.  Dependent on what you drink, it may be worth upgrading.  I like the specialty coffees, martinis, world class bar and better choice of wines.  Better beers are also in the premium.  We always upgrade to premium, but it’s a personal choice.

35 minutes ago, piggiepuff said:

Good morning!  We haven't done Celebrity before and with their current offers, it seems like the best deal for us.  I was just curious... how much are the drinks on board usually?  If you get the free drink package as a perk, is it possible to upgrade to the Premium package - and is it worth it to do that?  We've never done a drink package on our cruises, but since it's a good perk, I thought I'd ask a few questions.  Thanks!

Yes you can upgrade, we just did.  Cost either $7.50 or $10 per day (can't recall); both people don't have to do it.  I didn't need it so I stayed with Classic.  My spouse is a wine drinker and was pleased with the difference.

It's $10. per day plus automatic gratuity, so plan on $12.00 per day to upgrade.

We do it every time.  We are always in the Martini Bar before dinner, and also like the World Bar.  We also ask for Belevedere, Woodford Reserve, etc., which are included in the upgrade.  As mentioned above, the choice of wines with dinner is also improved, so for us, it makes sense.

The upgrade price is $12.00 a day per person ($10 plus 20% gratuity) and you can easily upgrade your package on-board...one or both of you can upgrade...you can upgrade on separate days...etc.  All tips for drinks on the classic package are included...you don't have to tip again when you order something.

If you have the classic package, you only pay the difference over the classic package price limit ($9) if you order a drink that costs more....plus 20% gratuity on the difference in price.   If you only drink a couple of higher priced drinks a day, it may be better to just keep the classic package and pay the difference on the drinks.  If that doesn't work for your drinking habits, then you can upgrade at that point.

Generally, there are lists of the brands of alcohol included in the classic package....and most drinks made with those brands are included in the classic package.

Other than the Martini bar that serves larger martini's in larger glasses, most premium package drinks will cost $1-$3 +20% more than the classic limit. 

If you wait & upgrade on board (price is same, $12 per person per day), do so at your favorite bar. That bartender will get the entire gratuity from the upgrade & they will remember you. Enjoy Celebrity, we do

10 hours ago, livinginyellow said:

Here you go! While this post goes into the different cruise line's packages, it still does the math for you and helps you decide whether or not the packages are worth it for you: https://www.anyadventurewithyou.com/cruise-drinks-package-should-you-buy-one/

This was great!  Thanks.

1 hour ago, piggiepuff said:

Thank you everyone!  I think we will likely stick to the classic, but we can play it by ear.  I like fruity slushy drinks and Moscato, hubby likes beer.  I think we'll be happy either way 🙂 

This is probably the biggest factor when considering the drink package...what do you like to drink?  Don't even worry about "how much will we drink" because it can get awkward to justify..."well, I was going to have 14 beers every day ANYWAYS..."

IMHO the best parts about the drink package are:

- you don't have to keep a running tab of how many drinks you actually do have when you are laying by the pool

- you can try a glass of wine or a cocktail and if you don't really like it you don't feel obligated to finish is solely bc of the cost

- similarly, you can order a second (third/fourth) glass of wine with dinner and you don't feel obligated to finish it

- you can grab a bottle of water on your way in/out of the ship for no charge

- specialty coffees, soft drinks, NA beer, etc. are all included, too

The best deals that we have found on X are the "Pick 2 Perks" promotion when the fares are $200 more pp than the "no-perk" fare...then you can choose the $300 (per cabin) OBC and Classic Package...and you end up "paying" only $50 pp for a week-long drink package!  Our TA generally throws in another $75 OBC and now its a wash.

• Like 1

Hi there!!!  Re: the Classic package which I currently have, but we always upgrade to Premium 🍸-- as previously mentioned, it depends on the liquor(s) you drink.  I also recently read that the bartenders will not be making the mini-martinis at the Martini Bar any longer for Classic Package drinkers. You will have to pay the up-charge and tip for the larger ones. Celebrity also recently added the gratuity of $14 PDPP, if your received the Classic Package as a perk -- but we were reimbursed by our TA as a SBC. 

Cruise lines are always looking to generate new revenue sources... I hope they don't kill the golden goose that is making the cruise lines a fortune... You know what happens when you get greedy. 😢