Transfer to Macy's

Lanky Lad

I am doing a B2B TA on QM2 next December and am wondering about the transfer to Macy's.  This is not advertised in the cruise booklet, but is usually offered on board, or it has been on my last two TA's.

Has anyone don this trip?  I am not so much worried about Macy's but it seems like quite a good way to get into NYC. 

I did the ferry to Wall Street in July and it was great, but as my next visit is in December, I am looking for somewhere warm.

Lanky Lad

we did this recently. Early start 7.30am, at Macy’s by 8.30am and collected at 2.30pm nearby. Cost was $50 each (I maybe wrong) bought on board. 
We walked from Macy’s to Flatiron building then up 5th Ave to Central Park and through CP, back via Times Square to Macy’s. Feet hurt afterwards and I was wearing trail shoes. We enjoyed the visit. 
Have a great time.

Derek. 

Hi, I have just returned from a BTB TA and the Transfer to Macy's was available to book once onboard. We did something else so cannot comment on it. 

By the way if one of your  December TA crossings is the Times/Cheltenham Literature Festival at Sea, it should be fantastic as we really enjoyed it last week! 

1 hour ago, Photo Andy said:

Lanky Lad

we did this recently. Early start 7.30am, at Macy’s by 8.30am and collected at 2.30pm nearby. Cost was $50 each (I maybe wrong) bought on board. 
We walked from Macy’s to Flatiron building then up 5th Ave to Central Park and through CP, back via Times Square to Macy’s. Feet hurt afterwards and I was wearing trail shoes. We enjoyed the visit. 
Have a great time.

Derek.

Thanks for the advice, we are thinking of walking so it's good to know we get plenty of time.  Six hours sounds just about right.  If it's cold we will have to go in Macy's

1 hour ago, durante said:

Hi, I have just returned from a BTB TA and the Transfer to Macy's was available to book once onboard. We did something else so cannot comment on it. 

By the way if one of your  December TA crossings is the Times/Cheltenham Literature Festival at Sea, it should be fantastic as we really enjoyed it last week! 

Thanks, yes we are on for the 2020 Literature Festival, I did not know that when I booked so a bonus.

5 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I am doing a B2B TA on QM2 next December and am wondering about the transfer to Macy's.  This is not advertised in the cruise booklet, but is usually offered on board, or it has been on my last two TA's.

Has anyone don this trip?  I am not so much worried about Macy's but it seems like quite a good way to get into NYC. 

I did the ferry to Wall Street in July and it was great, but as my next visit is in December, I am looking for somewhere warm.

As you might have read in business publications, retail in the US is on a serious downer, Having said that Macy's is still the premiere Christmas store in terms of decoration.  It will be very warm as well. Two blocks west on 34th street is Hudson Yards, NYC's newest and most glamorous shopping spot with a Neiman Marcus store among others. You can walk or take a taxi over. A five minute walk east on 34th street will bring you to the Empire State Building the 102 story for years the tallest building in NYC or the World. So there is much to do in the area. In December the weather will be warm, cool or cold, so layer up, then you can layer down if it's too warm. 

• Like 1

Lanky Lad

further to my earlier comments. Macys is useful for a drink and sit down after walking around NYC and whilst waiting for the bus to return to QM2. Macys has 2 cafes, 3 eateries and as Bigmike 911 states it will be warm especially if NYC has cold winds and  or snow.  

It will be a long day especially if you rise early to see QM2 sailing under the Verrazano narrows bridge at 4am then breakfast and early into NYC. I attach a photo of QM2 sailing under the bridge - just!

BW

Derek. 

_DAR5994_00001_01.jpg

• Like 1

Recently returned from Roundtrip TA and Macy's was $49pp which for me for a transfer was very expensive like all excursions available so we used the NYC Ferry at $2-75pp each way a bargain and if you go to desk on embarkation of ferry you can have free transfer as long as used in 90 minutes so easy enough to catch ferry at Wall St to 34th street. I can confirm that you only get 1 wine tasting, which is very poor and not worth it if you have to pay, 1 invitation to Senior Officers party and CWC party but for some strange reason you get 2 lots of internet 1 for each sector but you have to use the whole of time in first sector before using allocated time in 2nd sector.

11 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Thanks, yes we are on for the 2020 Literature Festival, I did not know that when I booked so a bonus.

Hope they have listened and learnt from the one we have just returned from. It was if the Times and Cheltenham Festival, who sponsor it, had chartered the ship and made all the rules. There was no planetarium and was very heavy as far as the literature side was concerned. There was lots of complaints onboard.

21 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Lanky Lad,

I understand that Macy's may not be your primary focus but please note that they open at 10:00AM every day except on Tuesday and Wednesday when they open at 9:00AM. 

Jack

Thanks for the information.  I think I am in NY on a Tuesday, but it could still be chilly in December for hanging around outside.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. 

It does sound quite expensive for a transfer, but it could be worth for convenience. 

We got two of everything last November, but only one in July this year.  I thought maybe that was down to the number of people doing the round trip.  A shame, but it sill not spoil my enjoyment.

On 11/18/2019 at 5:30 PM, Photo Andy said:

Cost was $50 each (I maybe wrong) bought on board. 

Not for nothing but you could easily Uber to Macys and back for about $40 each way from Red Hook and be on your own schedule. For two people its $20 less expensive than the transfer but you could fit up to 4. If you doubled up with another couple it would be extremely economical and more flexible. 

3 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Thanks for the information.  I think I am in NY on a Tuesday, but it could still be chilly in December for hanging around outside.

Hi Lanky,

Don't worry about that.

Being a very busy area of Corporate businesses you will find many fine Coffee Shops and Delis you can enjoy a Cup of Coffee and some good old New York Bakery Goods ex.... Bear Craws, Donuts, Cream Pastries, NY Coffee Crumb Cake... to keep you warm till the store opens.

New York is great in the morning for breakfast items as a treat....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Hope they have listened and learnt from the one we have just returned from. It was if the Times and Cheltenham Festival, who sponsor it, had chartered the ship and made all the rules. There was no planetarium and was very heavy as far as the literature side was concerned. There was lots of complaints onboard.

This is concerning as we are also on this next year. We booked this before the Literature part was announced.  Would be extremely disappointed if the Literature part took over.

That was one opinion. The usual activities were all still available except for the Planetarium, which was no great loss as most of the shows are repeated. The guest authors and journalists were very interesting and their shows were extremely popular and prompted quite a bit of discussion. I never heard anyone complain. I suppose there are alway some people who are not interested in these special event cruises, such as the Fashion Week, Food and Wine either....Just have an open mind and be prepared to enjoy

2 hours ago, durante said:

That was one opinion. The usual activities were all still available except for the Planetarium, which was no great loss as most of the shows are repeated. The guest authors and journalists were very interesting and their shows were extremely popular and prompted quite a bit of discussion. I never heard anyone complain. I suppose there are alway some people who are not interested in these special event cruises, such as the Fashion Week, Food and Wine either....Just have an open mind and be prepared to enjoy

Sorry but we spoke to quiet a few who were on the 7 day eastbound TA for the first time and were very disappointed that there were no planetarium showings and yes perhaps they are repeated if you have been on QM2 before but if it was your first time it would be a great disappointment. With regards to no complaints you only have to look at Cunard's Facebook page to see how many were not happy but having done "theme" cruises on QM2 in the past they have never ever taken over every room i.e. Kings Court Theatre, Illuminations etc for the duration and even the films shown were "old" films everyone has seen and even they were connected to one of the literature experts on board in some way, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Rebeccas, Dangerous Liasons and Gone Girl with talks prior to the film by experts. The TA was a totally different experience and atmosphere compared to previous week which was an excellent TA. Would love to know what activities were still available during the day except for sitting in a bar, Sir Samuels or Kings Court even the library had events on where you couldnt sit in peace and quiet.

18 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Not for nothing but you could easily Uber to Macys and back for about $40 each way from Red Hook and be on your own schedule.

I think that would be the upper end of the range. Last January we booked a metered cab from Red Hook to Penn Station (essentially the same distance) for around $30.

40 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

Thanks for the advice.  It looks like it will be a CAB or the ferry.  Plenty of time to decide.

Just a warning if you decide to get a taxi from Red Hook to Manhattan and return make sure you pre book it and dont rely on flagging a taxi down. We met a couple who had taken the ferry to Wall Street and did the independent tour advertised by Cunard and they tried to get a taxi back to Red Hook and a few refused to go to Brooklyn and they were getting worried but eventually managed to find one that would take them. Apparently its common that taxis will not go to Brooklyn from Manhattan. 

Taxi drivers may be reluctant to go to Red Hook because they may not get a return fare to Manhattan.

If you are unfamiliar with transportation in NYC, I would suggest the ship’s excursion. It may be a bit more expensive, but you are guaranteed a return trip without concern, only that of being at the correct meeting place and time for the

bus ! 

Macys is beautifully decorated for Christmas. As a matter of fact, they are unveiling the decorated windows tonight - Nov 21. In December, adults  can go up to the floor where Santa meets with children. There is a viewing area for grown-ups so you can see Santa without waiting on line. Macys has the best Santa’s - the costumes are gorgeous!

As others have said, there are plenty of cafes,delis and coffee shops in the area if you arrive before store opening time. 

It is not a far walk from Macys  to the Empire State building if that is of interest to you. Also,Fifth Ave is close by. You can walk along Fifth past the NewYork Public Library on 42ndStreet. Continue going up Fifth to Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas tree and skaters on the ice there. Continue further and you will reach Central Park.

I hope you enjoy your visit to NYC,my former hometown !