Lyon & Provence river cruise with a walker/rollator?

kbert92069

We are considering a river cruise Lyon to Avignon down the Rhone river. My wife requires a rollator for stability walking.  Can anyone share their experience with the same?  Will she be able to do most included excursions?  What about getting around a river cruise ship?  We are looking at Viking but not cast in stone.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Karl

I haven’t done that river but much of Europe has cobblestone streets. Using a rolling walker, while not impossible may be difficult. There shouldn’t be much issue on the ship but if she cannot do stairs it will be difficult when having to move through multiple ships to embark or disembark. There normally is an elevator but it doesn’t go to every floor. Make sure you check the deck plans. The rooms are also not overly large and storage could be tight. Unfortunately Europe is not very friendly for the mobility challenged.

(1) Choosing a ship with fewer passengers would imply more personalized service for passengers with unique needs.  Most newer river cruise ships are the same 135m long, but the number of passengers varies from 100 to 190, while staff levels tend to increase with fewer passengers [because there are more cabins available for staff].

(2) Be sure the river ship you sail on has an elevator that goes to all levels.  Many don't go to the lowest cabin level ['Aquarium Class'] and even more don't go to the top Sun Deck – which may be needed for exiting when ships are rafted at a port. 

(3) Look for a cruise line that always offers 'slow walkers' versions of the tours.  I know that AMA 'slow walkers' tours see everything on the regular tour, just lose free time at the end.  This is apparently also true on Avalon:

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

We ... took the slow walkers so I could take pics at my leisure.....when we were on the regular ones, you only got to take pics when they stopped to explain something). I will say we didn't miss out on anything but possibly some free time after the tours going on the slow walker groups, in fact for the tour in Koblenz (I believe) there is a building with a man's head carved in it...we were the only group to actually see it in action with the eyes moving.

(4) Despite these issues, there are many reports of people having a very enjoyable river cruise while using a rollator.  You may not be able to do 100%, but you can do enough to have a worthwhile experience.  Do your research, then go for it!

• Like 1

If you are able to assist your spouse if required, you shouldn't have a problem.  We had a gentleman on our cruise who could walk short distances (he used the elevator while on board), however had a wheelchair for excursions.  It must have been pretty rough for him on some of the cobblestones,  but it was only in Heidelberg which had very large and uneven cobbles that we ended up leaving him sitting enjoying the view on the square while we toured.  My husband pushed him most times and said it was rough, but not impossible.  He could carefully walk on the gangway and we always made sure someone was in front and behind him, as you only have room for single file.  It was his dream vacation, and other than the one time we had to leave him in the square, he was able to fully participate.

On the slow walker tours we took where there was steep hills, taxi's were used.  so that would probably be ok for your spouse as well.  

8 hours ago, HoneyJan said:

Old town Lyon has one of the worst cobbled streets I have been on. I walked in the smooth narrow gutter when I could. I have no mobility issues.

However, when we did the included tour in Lyon, we skipped the Old Town portion of the cruise in favor of the juried Art Show that sets up on the bank of the Saone River on Sundays  right where the bus let us off to tour the Old City. Bought a lovely painting of the city.

Google maps street view is very helpful for exploring the cities and their streets. A pciture is worth a thousand words

Avignon: rough walking in the Old City. The included tour is entirely a walking tour, from the ship, into the city, around and around on the cobblestones from the gate to the Palace, to Les Halles and then back to the ship.  Popes' Palace has a number of staircases that cannot be avoided. I have  vague recollection of a choo-choo train tour that takes you around the city; might be worth looking into.

Ponte de Gard tour from Avignon. Doable if you can walk the distance. Museum has elevators, mostly flat display area. Walk from Entrance to the bridge and out onto the bridge is smooth walking but a considerable distance. Plenty of time at the location, so no need to feel rushed. IMHO, do the bridge first and then decide if you want to do the museum or just grab a snack and sit until it is time to go.

P1230571.thumb.JPG.394c477d6cbbb3bfc689998de2f96d20.JPG

Arles: another very long walk over cobblestoned streets.  The Viking ship does not dock in Arles proper but a few miles up river. There are shuttles to and from the city.

Viviers. Can't comment about the included tour or the town. We did the all day optional tour.  Charming Ardeche, which we found to be general easy walking except for the walk at the end of the day through the village of Vogue, which was lovely but there was not a single cafe along the walking route where we could just and wait for the group.

Tournon: Steam train was a beautiful ride through the valley. Only issue might be getting on and off the train.

P1240286.thumb.JPG.a0d9d5f5c5f1c647bdbfdb352902aba5.JPG

Vienne: I missed the included walking tour so I can't comment.

Lyon: We did two optional tours in Lyon. The one to Perouges, which is definitely not the place to go if you aren't steady on your feet, and the one to the Chateau des Flecheres, which I would love to urge you to see, but there are steps to climb in order to get to  the second floor and you would miss the best half of the house if climbing them would be too much of a challenge. In retrospect, I am sorry we went to Perouges and didn't spend more time exploring Lyon itself.

To add to Peregrina's excellent comments:

I was using a cane (a year before having both hips replaced) during our Lyon to Arles Uniworld cruise in 2016. 

Viviers is a hill town with a beautiful cathedral at the top of the steep hill.  There was no way I would even try to make it up the hill using a cane and I think a wheelchair or rollator would have been impossible.  Luckily Uniworld offered a taxi ride to and from (I walked down the hill) the church for the mobility challenged.

In Avignon there was a little sightseeing train that was included for the 'gentle walkers' group but I knew the Palace wasn't an option because of the steps.  We'll just have to return now that the hips are back to normal (actually better than ever).

Our walking tour of Lyon had us going through the passageways, alleys, and interior courtyards. A fair number of stairs were also involved. 

The quay we used was a flight of stairs up to the street. Although there was an elevator, it was out of order. A number of people were unable to get off the ship and into town. 

We just returned from this cruise with Viking. Viking always offers an “easy walker” group tour that avoids lots of steps and steep inclines. I was traveling with my sister  who always selected this group. Some days I went with her and other days I chose the regular tour group. They always provided pretty specific information in advance about what was involved for each tour in terms of steps, cobblestones, uneven walking surfaces etc. there was a lady on our ship that had a rolling walker that managed every easy walker tour. Although I think the day in Avignon was difficult for her (but it was raining hard almost all day so that certainly added to the difficulty). 

So it certainly is doable, now whether your wife is up to it is something only you can judge but it was a lovely trip. I would add that you might want to wait until you are onboard the ship to book any optional excursions you are interested in since the staff could give you much better information about access than you could get in advance. We did the Pont du Guard and it would be doable with a walker. Path to the acquaduct was paved and level gravel but it is a fair distance. But you can do it at your own pace. The Les Baux and Lumiere excursion would not be doable with a walker. 

As others have stated if you choose Viking you would need a cabin on Level 2 or 3. Since steps must be used to access cabins on the lower level. And you would not have sundeck access, although depending on the time of year you travel that’s not a big deal to me. You still have outside access by the Aquavit. 

We have used Avalon as well and their ships did have elevator access to all cabin decks but they did not always offer the easy walker tour option....don’t know if that was because no one requested it or if they just don’t always offer it.