Blue vs Luminae menus. What's different?

barric

We seniors have had Aqua cabins on several X cruises and have very much enjoyed Blu for dinner.  We have ordered appies from the MDR menu a couple times, but have always been quite happy with the Blu main courses.  I have been invited to bid on an upgrade for a Jan sailing on Equinox where we have an Aqua room.  This would mean Luminae.  For those who have experienced both, I would love to hear opinions comparing the two restaurants...especially for dinner.  

Service and food quality is a step up from Blu. 

If I were you I'd run some searches on here and take a look at the Luminae menus to see how much you like the look of them. My only real criticism of Luminae is that these menus are not as descriptive as they could be so if you can find a thread with menus and pictures I think that will help you decide for yourself. The Luminae menu is not as extensive as that of the MDR but I've never found a night where I didn't like the look of something. 

I'd recommend you try the suite life though as only then will you know if it's for you first hand. 

• Like 1

Food is very subjective.  In the past we ate several times in Blu and absolutely loved it. On our more recent cruises we have been in Suites and ate in Luminae and loved it also.  One intereting note was on the Edge.  We were in a Suite but did not enjoy Luminae at all.  It was too large and noisy, almost like eating in one of the MDRs.  We ate, instead in Blu with out friends who were in Aqua and enjoyed it much more.  

• Like 1

Here is my opinion based on my recent sailing on Equinox.  We usually book AQ but found a deal on a suite.  Food tastes vary so don't know what you would like.

We found the atmosphere in Luminae nicer - tables less close together.  Service was also generally a step above, although we have usually had great service in Blu.  Breakfast had a few more options than Blu.  The bread options in Luminae were much better than Blu (hubby is a bread lover).  The menus?  Much, much, much prefer Blu.  I think in my cruise last week I saw only one salad listed, and it was kale.  Ugh!  Many of the appetizers and main courses are seafood related, including octopus and the like.  Great if that is your thing - it isn't ours.  The menu is much more limited, although we were able to order off the MDR menu whenever we wanted to.  They also will try to get you things off the menu if you ask - like for example I asked for a regular, plain salad with balsamic a number of times and had no issues getting it.  They try very hard to accommodate.  Blu does also, but that can sometimes vary by Maître d' and waiter.  They don't list it for you, but you can get the standard items from all menus such as Caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, French onion soup, etc..  They also happily substituted a filet mignon one night when we did not like the menu - it was good although not as large and as good as the one on their regular menu.

All that said, IMHO if the price is right suites are so nice for other reasons.  The cabin size is so much bigger.  At least pre-renovation the storage is much better (don't know about after).  The Retreat Lounge is nice, although personally I much, much preferred the décor in Michael's Club.  The Retreat Deck is very, very nice.  They bend over to kiss your you-know-what when you are in a suite - kind of like they used to do for all passengers back in the day.

Edited by phoenix_dream

It never occurred to me that Luminae would be similar to Blu.  I hope it isn't.  

We are two of the few people who don't enjoy Blu.   We didn't care for the breakfasts since we couldn't get Eggs Benedict or Corned Beef Hash. We got fingerlink potatoes with everything (no hash browns) and by the end of the cruise we had green finerlink potatoes.

My dh still mentions how they put "stuff" all over his lobster tail.:classic_unsure:

Maybe I'll do some Luminae research before booking my first Celebrity Edge suite.

51 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Service and food quality is a step up from Blu. 

If I were you I'd run some searches on here and take a look at the Luminae menus to see how much you like the look of them. My only real criticism of Luminae is that these menus are not as descriptive as they could be so if you can find a thread with menus and pictures I think that will help you decide for yourself. The Luminae menu is not as extensive as that of the MDR but I've never found a night where I didn't like the look of something. 

I'd recommend you try the suite life though as only then will you know if it's for you first hand. 

Totally agree the menus are not descriptive....We found on our first few visits we had to ask the waiter what to expect...

Service and ambience we have no concerns about but we do find the choice limited. Again agree with Mynki to look at some sample menus.

The Suite Life is about more than Luminae, especially with Michael’s Club upgrade to Retreat Lounge and the new suite deck which has limitations as the Revolution was curtailed but it is still a bonus....Consider the full package before making your decision...

6 hours ago, barric said:

We seniors have had Aqua cabins on several X cruises and have very much enjoyed Blu for dinner.  We have ordered appies from the MDR menu a couple times, but have always been quite happy with the Blu main courses.  I have been invited to bid on an upgrade for a Jan sailing on Equinox where we have an Aqua room.  This would mean Luminae.  For those who have experienced both, I would love to hear opinions comparing the two restaurants...especially for dinner.  

I agree with those above who suggest you do some research on the menus especially since food is so subjective.  In the thread below Jim details his B2B cruise on Edge and includes about 2 weeks of Luminae menus.

5 hours ago, mafig said:

We are two of the few people who don't enjoy Blu.   We didn't care for the breakfasts since we couldn't get Eggs Benedict or Corned Beef Hash. We got fingerlink potatoes with everything (no hash browns) and by the end of the cruise we had green finerlink potatoes.

My dh still mentions how they put "stuff" all over his lobster tail.:classic_unsure:

Maybe I'll do some Luminae research before booking my first Celebrity Edge suite.

I don't know when you last dined in Blu, or what ships, but I've always been able to get Eggs Benedict and even gotten it made with salmon when I've asked without issue!  I can't speak about Corned Beef Hash, that's not my thing. I've have however asked for and gotten hash browned potatoes.

Having sailed in both AQ and Sky Suites, I have found these differences, many of which others have mentioned:

Tables not as close together in Luminae

In Luminae, the option to order anything off the MDR menu, on S class ships that is not the case in Blu.

Breakfast options better (see above) in Luminae

Embarkation lunch available in Luminae, not so in Blu.

For us, no noticeable difference in service.

If the price is right, we would consider sailing in a suite again, but we are very happy in AQ.

I am one who really enjoys the Persian Gardens, and missed it when we were in the Sky Suites (yes, I know I coud have paid my way in).

11 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I don't know when you last dined in Blu, or what ships, but I've always been able to get Eggs Benedict and even gotten it made with salmon when I've asked without issue!  I can't speak about Corned Beef Hash, that's not my thing. I've have however asked for and gotten hash browned potatoes.

It was Reflection.  I even asked about the Eggs Benedict.  Don't recall the year.

2 minutes ago, mafig said:

It was Reflection.  I even asked about the Eggs Benedict.  Don't recall the year.

In my experience the staff in Luminae onboard Millennium and Eclipse had no issues letting people go off menu if you asked them. They did everything they could to keep you happy. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mafig said:

Reflection has Eggs Benedict In Blu. Both DH and I have had them served to us. That is odd that you couldn't get them. 

17 hours ago, mafig said:

Eggs Benedict is a staple in BLU. How could you not get it? 

It is a staple in the OVC too...every morning. 

Edited by Fogfog

53 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

Eggs Benedict is a staple in BLU. How could you not get it? 

It is a staple in the OVC too...every morning. 

Upon doing a quick Search I find that I'm not crazy.

Eggs Benedict was added to Blu's menu late 2017/early 2018.

That's why I didn't get it.