New Zealand and Australia cruise in January?

bebe08

Hi All, we have never been to Australia and are looking at booking for Jan 2022....Celebrity's itineraries have just been released and we have a future cruise credit to use before end of this year.  I am looking at Jan 14-28 departing Auckland and ending Sydney.  We would also plan to spend several days touring on our own before/after the cruise.  I know that New Zealand typically has school holidays the month of January....is that a concern re how busy it will be both on the cruise and land tours?  This is the only 14 day itinerary in 2022.  The other 2022 departures are 11 days and don't include Tasmania which we would like to see.   Would January be that much busier than Feb?  

TIA

18 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

Hi All, we have never been to Australia and are looking at booking for Jan 2022....Celebrity's itineraries have just been released and we have a future cruise credit to use before end of this year.  I am looking at Jan 14-28 departing Auckland and ending Sydney.  We would also plan to spend several days touring on our own before/after the cruise.  I know that New Zealand typically has school holidays the month of January....is that a concern re how busy it will be both on the cruise and land tours?  This is the only 14 day itinerary in 2022.  The other 2022 departures are 11 days and don't include Tasmania which we would like to see.   Would January be that much busier than Feb?  

TIA

January is peak time but plan well in advance and book you should be ok.

School goes back the start of March.

Consider a stop over in NZ on your way home.

2 hours ago, bebe08 said:

TIA

Yes January is busier than February because it is summer school holidays in NZ and Australia.  NSW students go back to school on 28/1/22 and Queensland students go back on 24/1/22.  

You would just need to book accommodation and land tours ahead.

New Zealand schools will go back to school either late January or early February which is very similar to Australian schools. When you are ask if it will be busy are you talking about actually booking the cruise, or number of children and how busy it will be on board or how busy the ports will be?  NSW (Sydney) schools are due to return from holidays on the 28th January as are Victorian, Queensland, South Australia, Northern Territory schools and Tasmanian, Western Australian and ACT start on February 3rd.

If you decide to do this cruise, book as soon as you able and you will be fine. 

Leigh

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes January is busier than February because it is summer school holidays in NZ and Australia.  NSW students go back to school on 28/1/22 and Queensland students go back on 24/1/22.  

You would just need to book accommodation and land tours ahead.

I just realised I had given term dates for next year and not 2022. It appears most Australian students go back at the end of January, around 28th to the 31st. NZ students will return around the same time as Aus students. So it may be busy in the New Zealand ports but perhaps not so much once the OP reaches Sydney.

Leigh

Thanks all for your replies.  We are good with booking accommodation and tours well in advance, so no worries there.  Not worried with how full the ship is.  Main concern is how busy the ports are as well as enjoying our time visiting before/after cruise.  Will there be a lot of crowds, long line ups etc in January?  Is it worth it or would we be better going with an 11 day cruise in Feb to avoid crowds?   Having never been to NZ or Aus, not sure how crowded/busy it gets in peak season.  

Most of the ports absorb cruisers fairly well and local school holidays shouldn't have too much impact on the ports either, but may impact places like Queenstown. February could be just as crowded as it's still peak cruise season. I would go with the longer January cruise. What are you planning for your land travel?

• 3 weeks later...