Carnival vs Royal Caribbean

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Nah, who cares,  repeat it with me 3 times running best domestic cruise line... come on I know you can do it.  

Not for nothing but that list awards CCL in 2 categories.  However, it awards RCI in 4 categories including best overall.  So I'm pretty sure its awarding RCI higher.  

Don't get me wrong though....I'm not the type that gives a hoot about that sort of thing.  😜

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Not for nothing but that list awards CCL in 2 categories.  However, it awards RCI in 4 categories including best overall.  So I'm pretty sure its awarding RCI higher.  

Don't get me wrong though....I'm not the type that gives a hoot about that sort of thing.  😜

It is not a biggie, I agree.  Mainly brought it up to toast the bashers. 

20 hours ago, CanTex said:

This post has devolved into a cheerleader back-and-forth. Both lines are very successful at what they do, and they're also not trying to pretend they're something that they're not. While both have nice ships and niches of exclusivity in their offerings, they're not upscale lines -- their parent companies have lots of other options for those markets. I think the OPs original question has been answered...

Well, when you title a post "X vs. X", I think a bit of 'cheerleading ' is to be expected. But, I'm not a RC 'cheerleader ', it's just the cruise line I was first taken on & continued for status purposes. There are several things they do that I don't like or agree with. As I stated in my original post, I would go on Carnival again, just on a different ship. 

9 hours ago, Aquahound said:

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

You might need a new toaster....

14 hours ago, JJ Sefton said:

Has anyone else read to the bottom of the list. Just wondering which cruise line was voted best overall?

Here:

Screenshot_2020-01-01-08-08-43.png

6 minutes ago, palmettostatecruiser said:

You might need a new toaster....

Here:

Screenshot_2020-01-01-08-08-43.png

Not at all, I am the one who brought the link, so no surprise.  What also is no surprise, is the bashers who cannot fathom that Carnival can be liked more and have to post on a thread.  I have no issues with the Royal product (not my cup of tea, but to each their own).  It is still amazing how they find it hard to not be able to have the same view of the largest cruise line.  What would you think domestic means?

21 hours ago, palmettostatecruiser said:

It's not that I don't like the songs - heck, I love hip-hop and rap, show tunes not so much - it's just the selection to the venue was weird IMO. We don't eat in the MDR on Royal every night anymore and do MTD when we do, so haven't seen the dancing you mentioned yet. But, if we did, be assured that I would think it was weird on a Royal ship as well🤣 

I understand that.  Like many things with Carnival the songs they choose are old and they have been using them for a very long time.  Now they combine the Macarena and Chicken Dance 😧.  The thing is, we have been on ships where there is a waiter that really gets into the dancing and they are good, it does make it more fun, but it still slows down dinner.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nofocruiser said:

I understand that.  Like many things with Carnival the songs they choose are old and they have been using them for a very long time.  Now they combine the Macarena and Chicken Dance 😧.  The thing is, we have been on ships where there is a waiter that really gets into the dancing and they are good, it does make it more fun, but it still slows down dinner.

One of the waiters the first night was awesome - he got an older gentleman to get up and dance to 'Low' also, that was really fun and everyone including me and my mom applauded. To be honest, my view of the dancing was clouded by the girl that made a spectacle of herself the fourth night.

I missed the combo of the Macarena and Chicken dance (Mac-chicka? Chickmaca?)...that's just wrong, lol

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

What would you think domestic means?

That's actually a good question.  With only a few exceptions, Carnival mainly sails the Caribbean.  Yet, RCI was awarded best for the Caribbean and best overall.  I really don't know what they mean by domestic.  Perhaps that they have more domestic embarkation ports? 

20 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thanks for the link, pretty informative site. I have never sailed Carnival domestically, I have l have only sailed on Carnival to the Bahamas and Caribbean. I take that back, I have been on Carnival ships that have stopped at Key West.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

That's actually a good question.  With only a few exceptions, Carnival mainly sails the Caribbean.  Yet, RCI was awarded best for the Caribbean and best overall.  I really don't know what they mean by domestic.  Perhaps that they have more domestic embarkation ports? 

Would be my guess as well.  

29 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Thanks for the link, pretty informative site. I have never sailed Carnival domestically, I have l have only sailed on Carnival to the Bahamas and Caribbean. I take that back, I have been on Carnival ships that have stopped at Key West.  

See Aquahounds post above

We're Diamond on both lines.  At this point we book whichever cruise line has the best price for a well located balcony within the date range and itinerary we want to sail.  We have 5 future cruises booked and RCCL is leading the pack with better prices on 3 of our upcoming cruises.  

26 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

We're Diamond on both lines.  At this point we book whichever cruise line has the best price for a well located balcony within the date range and itinerary we want to sail.  We have 5 future cruises booked and RCCL is leading the pack with better prices on 3 of our upcoming cruises.  

that's impossible 😜

22 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

that's impossible 😜

Booked the RCCL cruises on the 30% off each passenger sale.  With the Diamond Balcony and above discount they knock $225 off each Royal Caribbean cruise, which often makes it the cheaper option.

11 minutes ago, DebJ14 said:

Booked the RCCL cruises on the 30% off each passenger sale.  With the Diamond Balcony and above discount they knock $225 off each Royal Caribbean cruise, which often makes it the cheaper option.

I don't need any convincing but some here might.😉

10 hours ago, DebJ14 said:

We're diamond on Carnival and 14 days until we're diamond on Royal and we're kind of the same way.  We look for itinerary and price and then decide what cabin we are booking.  Most of our cruises are on Carnival though.  All on the Legend (TA, Norway, Med & TA) - which is my favorite class of ship. 

On 1/1/2020 at 5:46 AM, jimbo5544 said:

Considering we are on Cruise Critic... Do tell, how well is Carnival rated on the Best Of lists here?  They are virtually non existent with Royal and Celebrity dominating.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like some posts were removed, so my apologies if this was addressed already:

Was there any definition of "domestic?"  It seems odd since Caribbean has its own listing.  I thought possibly it means the NY/Canada cruises and the California coast. (I didn't think Carnival offered any US only cruises.)

On 1/2/2020 at 7:33 AM, BNBR said:

Considering we are on Cruise Critic... Do tell, how well is Carnival rated on the Best Of lists here?  They are virtually non existent with Royal and Celebrity dominating.

We all know why RCI and Celebrity dominate and it has NOTHING to do with being better. 

20 minutes ago, Theosprey247 said:

We all know why RCI and Celebrity dominate and it has NOTHING to do with being better. 

Couldn't disagree more.  RCI and Celebrity ARE better.  Possibly not a better value for some people, but certainly a better product.

Edited by BNBR

On 11/23/2019 at 8:36 AM, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

Hi all,

I am considering doing a Carnival Spirit cruise but have previously sailed Royal Carribean (Mariner and Radiance).

Are there any significant differences?

Why do you choose Carnival over Royal?

It is so tempting to stay with Royal Caribbean simply because of the rewards programme but I am not someone who prefers the same thing over and over again.

Thanks

I've had 3 on Carnival (Valor, Splendor and Magic) and 2 on Royal Caribbean (Oasis and Freedom of the Seas).  In all honesty I didn't see much difference in the food/service or overall product.   In fact, I think my two favorite cruises I went on were the Valor and Magic (although all were awesome). The only thing you might find "shocking" is the decor in the older Carnival Ships.   If you can get past some gaudy decorating, you wont miss a beat.   Definitely try it and see what you think.  Either way, i'm sure you will have a great time!  

I have done 5 of each. It has been sometime since i have sailed Royal though. I like Carnivals product so I keep coming back. The price doesn't hurt either. We really enjoy Dive in Movies, the comedy club, the alchemy bar, Guys burgers/blue iguana. Really seem to miss all of those things when were on Royal and there really is no answer to them. Carnival also seems to be a little lively at night and Royal Tends to shut down fairly early. I will say Royal ships when hands down. They also have the private islands that trump Carnival. 

23 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

It looks like some posts were removed, so my apologies if this was addressed already:

Was there any definition of "domestic?"  It seems odd since Caribbean has its own listing.  I thought possibly it means the NY/Canada cruises and the California coast. (I didn't think Carnival offered any US only cruises.)

I'm not sure now many of these still apply, but Carnival typically cruises out of more ports in the US than any other lines....unique ports such as Charleston, Jacksonville, Mobile, & Norfolk, and ports with only 1 or 2 other lines like LA, San Fran, Tampa, and Galveston.  I'm pretty sure that's what they mean by domestic....more domestic homeports.  

• Thanks 1