Seasick tablets available on Royal Caribbean not need the

Hi there, 

I went on Royal Caribbean 2 years ago and  was sick after having chemist bought medicine that had no effect. After two days of sickness and sleeping all day, I went down to the medical office and they let me have there tablets on board for free. They worked straight away, so well that after a few days I did need them . Does anyone know the strenghth of the tablets, as I am going on a different ship in March and I would like to get the same tablets, they come in 2 different strengths. I don’t want to knock myself out. 

Not sure what the tablets are that RCI give away - they will be US supplied. - 

But you can buy on their ships and most other Cruise lines - (except P&O Aus maybe) a seasick medicine called Bonine. It’s ingredient is “meclizine” at 25mg”. 
Works like a charm and I think you might find this is what they were dispensing for free - meclizine tablets - not sure about strengths.

We can’t buy this medication in Australia for some reason. So I stock up whenever I Cruise (or EBay). 
Just search Bonine on Cruise Critic to see what people think about these as a seasick med - I personally swear by them and I get seasick walking  through a puddle. (Nearly 😏)

Rose

Edited by Porky55
  • Haha 1

I swear by Bonine (meclizine 25mg) as well.   If you want to say money buy prior on Ebay - around  AUS $15 for a bottle of 100 from the US with free postage.   A lot more expensive if you buy on board.

12 hours ago, fiona76michael said:

Hi there, 

I went on Royal Caribbean 2 years ago and  was sick after having chemist bought medicine that had no effect. After two days of sickness and sleeping all day, I went down to the medical office and they let me have there tablets on board for free. They worked straight away, so well that after a few days I did need them . Does anyone know the strenghth of the tablets, as I am going on a different ship in March and I would like to get the same tablets, they come in 2 different strengths. I don’t want to knock myself out. 

Its mind over matter. You say you did not need tablets after a few days. Chances are that is how it will be forever now that your body is used to it. Most people who join the Navy start off needing tablets and then before they know it they get so used to being at sea that they do not need any tablets. Take your past experience as a gift and forget about the tablets and go away and enjoy it without having to ever have them again.

2 hours ago, datone said:

I swear by Bonine (meclizine 25mg) as well.   If you want to say money buy prior on Ebay - around  AUS $15 for a bottle of 100 from the US with free postage.   A lot more expensive if you buy on board.

Thank you for the advice, I've just bought a bottle.  I'm not normally subject to sea sickness, but crossing the ditch a couple of years ago from Oz to NZ on the tail end of Cyclone Debbie was another matter.  I'd taken Kwells as per the instructions but had no relief.  A trip down to the lovely ships Dr who put a needle in my bum and gave me a dozen little pink tablets saw me right as rain the next morning.   I've still got some Kwells and some of the little pink tablets and now I will have Bonine as well; no motion sickness happening here!

1 hour ago, Brisbane41 said:

Its mind over matter. You say you did not need tablets after a few days. Chances are that is how it will be forever now that your body is used to it. Most people who join the Navy start off needing tablets and then before they know it they get so used to being at sea that they do not need any tablets. Take your past experience as a gift and forget about the tablets and go away and enjoy it without having to ever have them again.

It can be a mind over mater.I used to work at sea and I found if you look at the horizon and get your bearings it disappears.

But I knew a old sea dog that got sick every day but he loved the sea.

In NZ the  brandname for Meclozine - available at any pharmacy. https://www.netpharmacy.co.nz/products/sea-legs-motion-sickness-treatment 

I find it not very good - makes me very sleepy and also end up with a very dry mouth - but can't drink without wanting to throw up again.  I'm at a loss as to what else to use. Don't tell me its mind over matter - I've been ill since I was a small child - it does pass after about 24 hours - but during those 24 hours if any one tells me its a minor issue or its all in my mind - well  I wouldn't be responsible for my actions!  

I've avoiding cruising for years because of this. And  yes I know that boats are more stable these days.   I'm going to take ginger tablets and ginger beer but I'm open to other suggestions - going to ask my dr too. WE do have a midships  deck 1 interior cabin - but I don't want to spend my whole day down there LOL 

Looking at the horizon makes me worse - if I can get into a position where I'm lying down and focusing on a wall or similar near my face I'm OK for as long as I don't move. As soon as I look up to assure some one I'm not dead (yet) or  have to go to the  WC for unrelated issues - I'm sick as a dog. 

Edited by lissie

16 minutes ago, lissie said:

In NZ the  brandname for Meclozine - available at any pharmacy. https://www.netpharmacy.co.nz/products/sea-legs-motion-sickness-treatment 

I find it not very good - makes me very sleepy and also end up with a very dry mouth - but can't drink without wanting to throw up again.  I'm at a loss as to what else to use. Don't tell me its mind over matter - I've been ill since I was a small child - it does pass after about 24 hours - but during those 24 hours if any one tells me its a minor issue or its all in my mind - well  I wouldn't be responsible for my actions!  

I've avoiding cruising for years because of this. And  yes I know that boats are more stable these days.   I'm going to take ginger tablets and ginger beer but I'm open to other suggestions - going to ask my dr too. WE do have a midships  deck 1 interior cabin - but I don't want to spend my whole day down there LOL 

Looking at the horizon makes me worse - if I can get into a position where I'm lying down and focusing on a wall or similar near my face I'm OK for as long as I don't move. As soon as I look up to assure some one I'm not dead (yet) or  have to go to the  WC for unrelated issues - I'm sick as a dog. 

From what I understand the whole reason for getting seasick is that you balance is disoriented and looking at the horizon gives the brain a reference point.

My wife took some of the seasick pills from the RCL first aid room just in case and they made her feel ill, once they wore off she was as right as rain. We have been on several cruises since and she refuses to take any and even though we have been in some very rough seas, she has been fine. Must admit she had no problems previous but like Bubbeh we encountered the tail end of a Cyclone and rough seas on the Radiance  Sydney to N/Z a couple of years ago that prompted her to take the pills as a precaution.I am lucky ( ex Navy ) so sorry to passengers that suffer but I do enjoy rough seas as I don't feel like I am in a land based hotel.

18 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

From what I understand the whole reason for getting seasick is that you balance is disoriented and looking at the horizon gives the brain a reference point.

Basically it is an inner ear issue. The system there helps with balance and spatial orientation.

Viewing a stationary object like the horizon helps with spatial orientation and some balance perspective.

47 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Basically it is an inner ear issue. The system there helps with balance and spatial orientation.

Viewing a stationary object like the horizon helps with spatial orientation and some balance perspective.

Not worked for me on the sea - but does work in a car. Rarely I get nauseous in a car  on a very windy road. And the solution is always to take over the driving. 

This reference https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/176198.php#remedies suggests that lying down and napping can work - so maybe my inner ear is happier lying down rather than standing  - that sort of fits  my experience. I discovered it accidentally when napping after lunch on a ferry in southern chile - we came out of the fiords into open ocean while I was lying on my middle bunk (of 3) in a windowless container - and I was absolutely fine until I had to get up!  And it was rough enough to make walking very difficult. 

37 minutes ago, lissie said:

Not worked for me on the sea - but does work in a car. Rarely I get nauseous in a car  on a very windy road. And the solution is always to take over the driving. 

This reference https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/176198.php#remedies suggests that lying down and napping can work - so maybe my inner ear is happier lying down rather than standing  - that sort of fits  my experience. I discovered it accidentally when napping after lunch on a ferry in southern chile - we came out of the fiords into open ocean while I was lying on my middle bunk (of 3) in a windowless container - and I was absolutely fine until I had to get up!  And it was rough enough to make walking very difficult. 

That’s your balance is mucked up when you stand up .

lying down your inner ear as Docker123 said switches off and it feels good until you stand up,then the world starts moving.

2 hours ago, fiona76michael said:

Thankyou everyone, I have had motion sIckness from a young child. I know the tricks with looking at the horizon, but you can’t do that 24/7 inside a large cruise ship. Many thanks for all your advice, 25mg was what I was after. Thanks. 

All the best. I have suffered badly from seasickness in the past, but maybe I have got used to the motion on the ocean. I have Avomine as a back-up but haven't had to take in on a cruiseship for a few years. Small boats are another matter.

Some crew members have told us to eat green apple and maybe with a little salt on it.

When my brother was venturing to Antartica  on a small ship from Hobart several years ago, some doctors in Queensland Health recommended Phenergan tablets, easily obtainable here.

On 11/28/2019 at 9:06 AM, datone said:

Just a word of caution. had a quick look at the generic Bonine available on Ebay and yes they were that price BUT made a point of noting that the expiry date was March or even January 2020. 

I would add that my wife and I have found Avomine (similar to Bonine) very effective but it isn't available in Aus any more.

42 minutes ago, nnps said:

Just a word of caution. had a quick look at the generic Bonine available on Ebay and yes they were that price BUT made a point of noting that the expiry date was March or even January 2020. 

I would add that my wife and I have found Avomine (similar to Bonine) very effective but it isn't available in Aus any more.

Yes - I had realised that.  I bought a bottle in late 2018 with expiry March 2020 so when I buy the next lot I will make sure I check the date.  Switched to Bonine when they discontinued Avomine in Australia - never been able to find out the reason why.

22 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It can be a mind over mater.I used to work at sea and I found if you look at the horizon and get your bearings it disappears.

But I knew a old sea dog that got sick every day but he loved the sea.

It always has been mind over matter. It is a psychological condition. To be very basic the balance receptors in your ears are detecting movement and on a ship your eyes are registering no movement. This confuses the brain which senses the body is under attack and induces nausea and vomiting. Looking at the horizon or sea helped as it caused the eyes to register movement that matched the balance receptors. 

That said the brain and body remembers things and once you get over the initial seasickness you never get it again. Its like learning to ride a bike, once the training wheels come off you do not need to put them on ever again. The body has learned and it is the same for seasickness. 

If for argument sake someone initially needs medication at first and then all of a sudden they realise they do not need medication there is no need to ever go back to it as you will be immune to seasickness for life.

That said there are some people that exist whose body and mind are wired differently to others and will never get over it.

47 minutes ago, Brisbane41 said:

It always has been mind over matter. It is a psychological condition. To be very basic the balance receptors in your ears are detecting movement and on a ship your eyes are registering no movement. This confuses the brain which senses the body is under attack and induces nausea and vomiting. Looking at the horizon or sea helped as it caused the eyes to register movement that matched the balance receptors. 

That said the brain and body remembers things and once you get over the initial seasickness you never get it again. Its like learning to ride a bike, once the training wheels come off you do not need to put them on ever again. The body has learned and it is the same for seasickness. 

If for argument sake someone initially needs medication at first and then all of a sudden they realise they do not need medication there is no need to ever go back to it as you will be immune to seasickness for life.

That said there are some people that exist whose body and mind are wired differently to others and will never get over it.

Works for me to look at the horizon and some fresh air, I couldn’t imagine having a interior cabin and a skin full of booze.You would be repainting the cabin.

I have a pair of sea bands which work on acupuncture points on the wrists. I bout The for $2 from the Reject Shop instead of paying $30 at the chemist. I’m not sure if they do anything, if it has a placebo effect, or if I wouldn’t get sick anyway. But I figure that they don’t do any harm. 

I started to feel a little queasy part way through our last cruise (last week) so I popped the sea bands on. I also opened a packet of crystallised ginger (yum!) that gets packed into the suitcase each cruise. I later looked at the best before date on the ginger and it was 2016! That packet has been on a lot more cruises than I realised. It still tasted OK, though. 

6 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

B...s.... I started cruising in 1983 and have been seasick on countless occasions. I didn't become immune. For me it is not a psychological matter and my mind is not 'wired differently'. The problem is in my inner ears (confirmed by an ENT doctor). I also get sick on roads that are very winding. Sitting in the back seat is a recipe for disaster in those cases.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

B...s.... I started cruising in 1983 and have been seasick on countless occasions. I didn't become immune. For me it is not a psychological matter and my mind is not 'wired differently'. The problem is in my inner ears (confirmed by an ENT doctor). I also get sick on roads that are very winding. Sitting in the back seat is a recipe for disaster in those cases.

I agree, I have had motion sickness since a small child, in vehicles, in trains, planes and ships. Not all the time, but more often than not.  Interestingly, I can cope fine on the Sydney ferries including going to Manly. 

If travelling on winding roads I have to drive and even then can still fill nauseous.

Leigh

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

You said it yourself. I said "body and mind wired differently" you have now confirmed that you have a problem with your inner ears which is the reason for not becoming accustomed to it. There is nothing wrong with being wired differently to anyone else. If you did not have an inner ear issue then there is a good chance you would not get seasick at all. The fact is as you have just stated you have a problem with your inner ears. This is not shared by everyone and the people who do not share your condition will not get seasick. It is just a fact of life that it is how you were born. No one can change what they are or how they are. It is just life.