Sapphire princess to NZ

Esilef

Any thoughts on the sapphire princess? Booked for Christmas 2020 to go around New Zealand. Excellent dates but pricey. 4 of us in the 1 mini suite that looks like it’s the same size as a royal deluxe balcony.

do Christmas cruises normally sell out early?

is the ship ship shape?

9 hours ago, Esilef said:

Any thoughts on the sapphire princess? Booked for Christmas 2020 to go around New Zealand. Excellent dates but pricey. 4 of us in the 1 mini suite that looks like it’s the same size as a royal deluxe balcony.

do Christmas cruises normally sell out early?

is the ship ship shape?

I think Sapphire will be a great ship, being a new ship to Aus would expect this one to be a fast seller, wouldn’t you? And Christmas is always a sellout 🤔

Edited by Porky55

Sapphire is the sistership of Diamond but without the 'Japanfication'. Kai Sushi on Diamond is the internet cafe on Sapphire, the Japanese bath area on Diamond a public pool area on Sapphire. Sapphire also has the 24/7 International Cafe while Diamond doesn't.

I spent 3 weeks on Diamond last year cruising around Tasmania and NZ and I won't hesitate to go on her again. Sapphire will be great too.

Edited by Scanorama
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lissie said:

Only if you are familiar with Tasmania weather!  So many people think we're some south pacific island weather wise! Not really 

We have found NZ weather similar to southern Victoria - changeable. It can be terrible weather in Victoria and South Australia and not so in Tasmania or vice versa.

Leigh

Just now, possum52 said:

We have found NZ weather similar to southern Victoria - changeable. It can be terrible weather in Victoria and South Australia and not so in Tasmania or vice versa.

Leigh

Changeable and take 10degrees off - it very, very rarely gets to 30C anywhere in NZ - and never gets to 30C anywhere near the coast.  

2 minutes ago, lissie said:

Changeable and take 10degrees off - it very, very rarely gets to 30C anywhere in NZ - and never gets to 30C anywhere near the coast.  

Sorry but you're wrong about temps near the coast. On our 2015 Christmas cruise it was 30C in Akaroa the day we were there. But next day in Dunedin it was only 14C! 🤣

However since NZ weather is so variable at any time of year, cruisers should pack layers including a warm jumper/fleece and a good rain jacket, plus a warm hat, scarf and gloves for the Fiordland scenic cruising.

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Sorry but you're wrong about temps near the coast. On our 2015 Christmas cruise it was 30C in Akaroa the day we were there. But next day in Dunedin it was only 14C! 🤣

However since NZ weather is so variable at any time of year, cruisers should pack layers including a warm jumper/fleece and a good rain jacket, plus a warm hat, scarf and gloves for the Fiordland scenic cruising.

Data point of 1 - but yes Akaroa would be your best chance for a swim at that time of the year! Ive had 10C in Wellington on Xmas day. 

I'd never cruise NZ - being sea sick prone it would be a complete waste of money LOL 

6 hours ago, lissie said:

Only if you are familiar with Tasmania weather!  So many people think we're some south pacific island weather wise! Not really 

Haha - would never confuse NZ with the South Pacific 😂

Edited by Porky55

6 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Sapphire is a sister ship to the Diamond Princess.... same great layout. 😊

But hopefully without the Izumi baths etc (as great as they are) because they never seemed to be used by anyone other than the Japanese passengers on Diamond?

3 hours ago, lissie said:

Data point of 1 - but yes Akaroa would be your best chance for a swim at that time of the year! Ive had 10C in Wellington on Xmas day. 

I'd never cruise NZ - being sea sick prone it would be a complete waste of money LOL 

I lived in Wellington for 20 years and, yes, there were a few chilly Christmases.🤣

Most of the coastal cruising of the NZ runs is down the east coast which is usually very sheltered. The risk of high seas is more when rounding the bottom of the South Island and crossing the Tasman. But even then the big cruise ships are very stable.

16 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

But hopefully without the Izumi baths etc (as great as they are) because they never seemed to be used by anyone other than the Japanese passengers on Diamond?

That's correct. No Izumi Baths or any of the other Japanese mods on Sapphire.

8 hours ago, lissie said:

That's not true at all, it regularly gets to 28-30 in NZ Summer and definitely so at the coast, sometimes it's even above 30!😁

Edited by phoenixx
Added information

We did a Xmas cruise on Majestic last year and great weather, no rain apart from Dunedin which they tell me is usual.

I have also recently this year did a 14 day cruise on Sapphire.  Ship is in good condition, no complaints about the rooms or any other area.  Only let down was the food, absolutely the worst food I have encountered on any ship ever.  The breakfast in the buffet were shocking, not sure why frankfurts are a breakfast choice.  Overall the standard was poor even in the MDR.  On many nights food was sent back and complaints made to the Maître D.   Fingers crossed they up their game with respect to food once Sapphire his Australian waters.

cheers Vicki

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ahhh but layers is always the packing solution in my opinion.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:57 AM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Sapphire is a sister ship to the Diamond Princess.... same great layout. 😊

Yes, great ship the Sapphire Princess. We did a B2B on her last year ex Southampton - Baltics and Scandinavia.   The right size for us.   Food then was good, no complaints.

Edited by NSWP

On 11/29/2019 at 3:29 PM, Shiprobbo said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but Sapphire Princess will not be new to the Australian market, she was based here in 2004/2005

Saphire Princess_Sydney.jpg

Thankyou for that - this was before we had started cruising - kids still in school and both working hard to pay off mortgage and bills. She must have been nearly new,  being built in 2004, quite a coup for Aussie at the time no doubt.

Edited by Porky55

Now and again a new ship arrives here, I recollect being on the new Star Princess  in Feb 2004, Sydney to Darwin.  She was only a couple of years old, perhaps they like to show their nice shiny new ships to the Colonials now and again, instead of sending all the ageing ones here to work.

Edited by NSWP