Anyone currently on the Joy?

bluebelt

Thank you for asking.  Do we really need to pack, and to fly all the way  to LAX, arrive at the pier only  to be told the outbreak is confirmed and we have the option to not sail?  If the virus is confirmed, can they just not tell us now?  As time passes, the lack of information from NCL is reducing my options for alternative vacation plans.

I'm concerned as well.  We fly out tomorrow to LAX.  If there is another outbreak I would prefer not to go if they are going to cancel the cruise or if we have to risk getting sick on a ship that has had 2 outbreaks back to back.  Is cancelling under these conditions an option?

In another thread a passenger on the 24 Nov - 1 Dec sailing took a pic of a letter they received from ncl that gave them the option of a refund if they were not comfortable embarking. One would think passengers embarking 1 Dec would have that option as well. 

IMO, even after back to back outbreaks, I am still sailing. Will be taking somewhat more extreme measures than usual; bringing latex gloves, disposable face masks, disinfectant wipes. Y'all can make fun of me all you want...I'll suffer the slings and arrows in MOPP 4.

flight leaves early tomorrow and still very much looking forward to the cruise, but you should have the option to do what's best for you.

Edited by JamesIowa
  • Like 1

I'm onboard Joy now. On Tuesday and Wednesday night the captain announced that we had Noro onboard. No idea how serious. Heard lots of rumors from other passengers. General consensus seems to be 40 passengers are sick. 

Staff have been very good about reminding us to wash our hands this trip. 

14 minutes ago, chancellorjake said:

I'm onboard Joy now. On Tuesday and Wednesday night the captain announced that we had Noro onboard. No idea how serious. Heard lots of rumors from other passengers. General consensus seems to be 40 passengers are sick. 

Staff have been very good about reminding us to wash our hands this trip. 

What is the total number of passengers on this cruise and the total number of staff.  I would guess 40 being ill is a very small percent of the total number of people on board.

I and ten of my family members will be on the Joy for the Christmas cruise 12/22/19 thru 12/29/19. I sure hope they get the ship disinfected and Noro free by then. I'm curious to know what NCL will offer the upcoming passengers for the next cruise. I feel sorry for the passengers that have to fly into LA, it would be nice if NCL contacted them and gave them a choice before arriving to the ship.

4 hours ago, www3traveler said:

What is the total number of passengers on this cruise and the total number of staff.  I would guess 40 being ill is a very small percent of the total number of people on board.

On Tuesday morning, before tendering to Cabo we were told there were 4500 passengers onboard. I'm guessing there's a lot of 3rd and 4th occupancy to get that number. There's definitely a lot of children onboard. We were, also, told that on the last voyage there were only 3000 passengers. I'm not sure how many crew are onboard, but they've been plentiful when needed. 

12 minutes ago, chancellorjake said:

On Tuesday morning, before tendering to Cabo we were told there were 4500 passengers onboard. I'm guessing there's a lot of 3rd and 4th occupancy to get that number. There's definitely a lot of children onboard. We were, also, told that on the last voyage there were only 3000 passengers. I'm not sure how many crew are onboard, but they've been plentiful when needed. 

According to another post concerning the previous cruise there were 3,602 passengers with a double occupancy capacity of 3,804 with about 50 kids on that cruise. 4,500 would mean 700 third and fourth occupancy folks, plenty of kids.

If only 40 persons are sick this cruise, by my rough calculations (4500 passengers 1800 staff for a total of 6300), that would mean that less than 1% are ill.  With all the precautions that are being taken (according to previous posts), I would not be concerned about any of the upcoming cruises.  If passengers would take precautions-- washing your hands often, or lie on their health questionnaire, I would think that there should not be any wide spread problems. 

You know, I have to wonder how many of these cases are noro, and how many are some other gastrointestinal illness, like e-coli - there was just a massive recall of lettuce for e-coli. Who knows where and what people ate prior to boarding...not to mention it can take a couple days after exposure before symptoms appear. Finally, cruise ships take a bad rap for these illnesses, but who cleans planes? How many people fly in, get contaminated in the airport or on the plane, but don't show symptoms until a day or two on the ship??

Wash your hands!! Better safe than salmonella 😏

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mugtech said:

According to another post concerning the previous cruise there were 3,602 passengers with a double occupancy capacity of 3,804 with about 50 kids on that cruise. 4,500 would mean 700 third and fourth occupancy folks, plenty of kids.

The CDC reports 3,602 passengers on the last cruise with 127 reported cases of Noro and 6 out of 1,769 crew with it.  It is only reported to the CDC if it is "2% or more of the passengers or crew" (according to the CDC website) so if it's only 40 passengers this week we may never see an official report from the CDC.  Hopefully next week it is totally gone!

24 minutes ago, bostongal965 said:

Finally, cruise ships take a bad rap for these illnesses,

A number of schools in my area closed early for the holiday because of -reported- norovirus.  Could be something else, although unverified sources say it's confirmed.  Closed in the hopes people will stay home if they are sick, plus time to disinfect the school.

Anytime there are lots of people in a confined area, any disease can be easily spread.  Not the fault of the cruise ships - but they have to deal with it.

On Joy now and there were a small number of elderly travelers on the 8th floor that had noro. I can assure you the staff is taking every precaution possible. Seas were rough the last 24 hours, so there were barf bags hung on the stair railings.  

As stated in a previous post, more worried about fellow passenger hygiene habits. I can assure you a vast majority are having a great time on this cruise. You can tell by all the smiles and laughter going on around us.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, sunnybunny08 said:

On Joy now and there were a small number of elderly travelers on the 8th floor that had noro. I can assure you the staff is taking every precaution possible. Seas were rough the last 24 hours, so there were barf bags hung on the stair railings.  

As stated in a previous post, more worried about fellow passenger hygiene habits. I can assure you a vast majority are having a great time on this cruise. You can tell by all the smiles and laughter going on around us.

Thank you!  I am on the Joy in a week (Dec 8-15) and this is my first cruise, ever.  Last thing I want is to be surrounded by noro...thank you for the reassurance!

On 11/29/2019 at 6:52 AM, JamesIowa said:

Will be taking somewhat more extreme measures than usual; bringing latex gloves, disposable face masks, disinfectant wipes. Y'all can make fun of me all you want...I'll suffer the slings and arrows in MOPP 4.

We sail on the Joy on 12/15. We're lucky that we live only an hour from port, but if they don't give an option to reschedule, we are going prepared like you and some over the counter meds too. 78718213_10159236830174202_5007154246127

• Like 1

We just got off this morning.  We were on deck 13 aft, was not aware of any sick passengers other than the captains announcement in Cabo.

The crew were constantly disinfecting, there were staff in all the restaurants wiping down the chairs after every passenger meal.  Every night they came down the cabin hallways and wiped every wall surface and doors.  The buffet counters were roped off and staff was handing out plates, silverware/napkins, and food.  Nothing on the tables, had to ask for condiments in small paper cups, salt/pepper in packets no shakers.  We avoided the buffet, I only had one early breakfast and a lunch there in Cabo.  We only walked off the ship in PV and did some shopping across the street in the mall.

I think the crew were doing an excellent job containing it.

My only complaint would be with NCL management, sent me an email a couple of days before sailing about a boarding delay, arrive after 1pm.  No mention of sickness on board in the email.  It wasn’t until I dropped off bags and headed to security checkpoint that I was given the letter about noro and offer to get a credit.  I would have liked the option with more advance notice.  The prior cruise was 11 days, Panama Canal transit so they knew what was happening on board when they sent the email.

Local news reported 20 people taken to ER from last cruise.  I counted at least 25 ambulances this morning but did not see any people taken away, several of them left empty as I was waiting for Uber.  We were first off with self-assist, probably in the first 100 through customs.  I’m already home, live 45 min from the port.

23 minutes ago, smithop said:

...Local news reported 20 people taken to ER from last cruise.  I counted at least 25 ambulances this morning but did not see any people taken away, several of them left empty as I was waiting for Uber...

I watched local station KTLA cover this story this morning as passengers disembarked. The reporter interviewed one of the first responders who said there were reports of 40 ill passengers, narrowed down to 20 by the ship's doctor, and at disembarkation there were 9 ill passengers who were triaged and none were taken to hospital today. She also interviewed a family who said they had gotten ill on Thanksgiving Thursday and were offered free movies and free room service as compensation.

16 minutes ago, davencl said:

Anyone now what the "normal" rate would be among a population of 5000?  

No idea, but my wife works in an urgent care here in SoCal and she says lately she's been treating a lot of Noro cases. So it seems to be going around right now.

Edited by TFLG

5 hours ago, smithop said:

The prior cruise was 11 days, Panama Canal transit so they knew what was happening on board when they sent the email.

Local news reported 20 people taken to ER from last cruise.  I counted at least 25 ambulances this morning but did not see any people taken away, several of them left empty as I was waiting for Uber.  We were first off with self-assist, probably in the first 100 through customs.  I’m already home, live 45 min from the port.

The prior cruise was actually 16 days, not 11. I believe those of us onboard were told on Thursday?  I think we made it to day 14 before the breakout.  I certainly didn't see any manifestation of it before then.  My cabin was on deck 13, where the medical facility entrance is ln the elevator lobby.  I didn't see any uptick in visitors until about that time and, even then, it wasn't a large number.

My stateroom overlooked the pier and I never saw any indication of ambulances or sick passengers from when we docked until I left my stateroom at about 7am for breakfast.  I disembarked about 8am and everything seemed completely normal.