Splendor Has A GodMother

DeepFreeze63

5 hours ago, fluckey said:

What's with all the hating on Christie Brinkley?  Those of you dissing her must have missed the great Sports Illustrated covers a few years back.  She's as least as accomplished as Princess Charlene, whose claims to fame are some swimming success and marrying well.  Christie may not be as well known outside the U.S. as she is in her home country, but what percentage of Regent passengers are American?  50%?  75%?  More?  I believe her portrait will grace the main salon of the new ship beautifully!

I am with  you. I don't understand all the criticism. 

On 12/4/2019 at 3:44 PM, Hambagahle said:

Yes - I got that too.  WHO is this person and WHY do ships need a "godmother" ??  It all seems very foreign to me.

Google is your friend.

Godmothers are the tradition. NCL actually broke tradition by having rap artist Pitbull as godfather to Escape.

One might also wonder why ships are referred to with feminine pronouns. Save for a German Kaiser (not sure which one) who preferred ships to be "male."

16 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

Is there a plaque or memento of the Godmother somewhere on each ship?

Jim, photograph (and announcement) of Godmother used to be in Atrium of ships; I believe FDR had them moved when Prestige took over (just like all the plaques that used to be near entrance of Observation Lounge on Voyager).

Marc

Seems very silly to me...

And I think in English are ships "she".   In French - le bâteau, le navire or le paquebot.   In German - Das Schiff or Das Boot.  In Italian - il nave.   I have no idea at all why English suddenly uses "she" for cars and for boats!  English doesn't as a rule use genders...

Edited by Hambagahle

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Seems very silly to me...

And I think in English are ships "she".   In French - le bâteau, le navire or le paquebot.   In German - Das Schiff or Das Boot.  In Italian - il nave.   I have no idea at all why English suddenly uses "she" for cars and for boats!  English doesn't as a rule use genders...

I may be mistaken, but I believe that Russian ships are male also.

6 hours ago, shuguley said:

How could anyone forget Christy driving the red Ferrari 308 in the National Lampoon's movie "Vacation".

Easily - if you have never seen that film!   First time I have heard of it...  but then I don't like films much and I only read "people" type magazines in doctors' waiting rooms!!

Edited by Hambagahle

Christie Brinkley is one of the most famous models of all time with decades as the face of Cover Girl and also decades in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue ... posing for that coveted spot into her 60’s. She’s an award winning artist, dedicated mom, animal rights activist, and a USO overseas performer. She’s been on Broadway, in movies, and on TV. To sum it up, she’s good hearted, multi talented, and timelessly beautiful. Sounds like a great choice for the honor.

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Easily - if you have never seen that film!   First time I have heard of it...  but then I don't like films much and I only read "people" type magazines in doctors' waiting rooms!!

You need to watch this film......it's a classic comedy.

I have no problem with Regent naming a celebrity who is involved in the ship's christening as the ship's godparent/sponsor/patron.

I also have no issues with Christie Brinkley per se; but must admit that I had not heard of her until this thread.

However if Regent are looking to market Splendor to diverse international customers it does not seem to be the optimum choice of either ship name or patron.

JMHO

............... but I am sure the ship will be excellent and look forward to sailing on it.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:06 AM, mrlevin said:

Jim, photograph (and announcement) of Godmother used to be in Atrium of ships; I believe FDR had them moved when Prestige took over (just like all the plaques that used to be near entrance of Observation Lounge on Voyager).

Marc

On the Explorer the pic of the princess is in the Atrium reception.  

1 hour ago, commodore2010 said:

On the Explorer the pic of the princess is in the Atrium reception.  

Yes, but all of the others have been removed because they say "Radisson" instead of "Regent."  That is why the plaques have been removed, too.  In addition, do you notice when staff (particularly Cruise Consultants) refer to the former ship "Radisson Diamond" they just call it the "Diamond."

Marc

On 12/11/2019 at 9:00 PM, drib said:

I think you're forgetting that if something happens to the parent company of the ship, that the godparents will see to the welfare of the ship. So it's a very important position! But then maybe Christie Brinkley was not the best choice.

I would have imagined that if something happened to the NCL group their stockholders would have first call on the ships...not the godmothers!

3 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Who are those people and what have they got to do with the Splendor ??   Not more godparents I hope?

It is a very easy lookup to find out who any of the people are who are mentioned in this fun thread.  No pseudo,  highbrow blather is even needed!