Early Itinerary Plan for DIY Land Tour Alaska

Jimbo

On 12/9/2019 at 3:46 PM, Jimbo said:

Latest Itinerary has us skipping Talkeetna

Friday Night.... Girdwood. AK (Alyeska Resort ) (Wildlife Conservation Center, Williwaw viewing platforms)

Saturday Night.. Palmer, AK ( Knik Glacier Tours)

Sunday Night.. Denali National Park 

Monday Night.. Denali National Park  (Eielson shuttle)

Tuesday  Night... Anchorage, AK

Wednesday Night.. Seward, AK (Train from Anchorage to Seward) (Shuttle to Exit Glacier. Visit the SeaLife Center)

Thursday Night...Seward, AK (Major Marines Kenai Fjords)

Friday Night (Radiance of the Seas)

Jimbo, the best view we got of Denali and the Alaska Range was from the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge which is a fabulous place to stay. We did get closer views from other places but the Range is something to see.

5KYuI38.jpg

We also did a flight with Talkeetna Air and landed at their base camp at 7200 feet. It was 24 degrees and bone dry.

b8h5Ew5.jpg

I guess after leaving Alyeska Resort Saturday morning we would still have time to make the  2pm ......3 hour tour at Knik Glacier Tours since Alyeska is only an 1 1/2 hour drive to Palmer, Ak. Once the tour is done at 5pm, we then could drive 1 1/2 hours to Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge and be there by 7pm.

So it looks like time wise it's doable.

Edited by Jimbo

No availability at the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge for July 25th so decided to drive to (Mile Post 131) and stay at MT. MCKINLEY PRINCESS WILDERNESS LODGE, hopefully it will be just as nice and also have an excellent view of Denali if it is out. Got the room for $200 for the 1 night. Anyone been to both and have views they care to share. Good or the Bad?

Now to look for a place to stay for our 2 night visit to Denali Park. Anyone have any recommendations?

Both have a decent view of Denali although it is better from the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge.  The Princess Wilderness Lodge is a bit remote and the only services are the ones at the lodge.  The lodge in Talkeetna is in a better location as you have the town nearby with multiple restaurant choices. Since you have a car either would work but we prefer to stay at the Talkeetna Lodge.

I do see they have rooms for your date but they are pricey.

22 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

Both have a decent view of Denali although it is better from the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge.  The Princess Wilderness Lodge is a bit remote and the only services are the ones at the lodge.  The lodge in Talkeetna is in a better location as you have the town nearby with multiple restaurant choices. Since you have a car either would work but we prefer to stay at the Talkeetna Lodge.

I do see they have rooms for your date but they are pricey.

I see it now, think we will pass at $376 a night.....

Anyone every stay at Denali Park Village?  Lodge or Cabins? They have discount for 1 free night in the Alaska Tour Saver Book Value  -$449.00  Any thoughts about this place?

Edited by Jimbo

On 12/17/2019 at 8:13 PM, Glaciers said:

You'll be fine with a car. The Princess Lodge grounds are nice with short hiking trails and a neat little area with fire pits.

We loved this lodge (Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge). Completely agree about the hiking trails, the tree house, the fire pits and roasting marshmellows, the views... I wish we had spent more time here.

On 12/22/2019 at 1:59 PM, Casey12 said:

We loved this lodge (Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge). Completely agree about the hiking trails, the tree house, the fire pits and roasting marshmellows, the views... I wish we had spent more time here.

Yes, we are definetly going to stay there 1 night, Already booked.

I think that Wonder Lake is completely worth the trip if you have the time.  Although, it is a very very long time on a bus.  When we went we did the Kantishna Experience tour.  It wasn't as expensive as it is now but definitely a nice trip.  Our narrator was great but it could be a very long day if your narrator wasn't as good as ours.  A note if you do take a tour - show up early.  Do not sit on a wheel well.  It gets very uncomfortable. 

The rest of the days we were in Denali we went on guided hikes, signed up at the visitor center.  Visited the sled dogs. Also, used the hop on hop off bus (transit)  one day.  This would be a great way to do it if you don't want the narration - save you lots of money.  My general suggestion if you go all the way to Wonder Lake I would suggest that you go all the way out there first.  Then you could take your time coming back. 

No matter enjoy your trip!

11 hours ago, tigger_ag said:

I think that Wonder Lake is completely worth the trip if you have the time.  Although, it is a very very long time on a bus.  When we went we did the Kantishna Experience tour.  It wasn't as expensive as it is now but definitely a nice trip.  Our narrator was great but it could be a very long day if your narrator wasn't as good as ours.  A note if you do take a tour - show up early.  Do not sit on a wheel well.  It gets very uncomfortable. 

The rest of the days we were in Denali we went on guided hikes, signed up at the visitor center.  Visited the sled dogs. Also, used the hop on hop off bus (transit)  one day.  This would be a great way to do it if you don't want the narration - save you lots of money.  My general suggestion if you go all the way to Wonder Lake I would suggest that you go all the way out there first.  Then you could take your time coming back. 

No matter enjoy your trip!

Just to confirm, so one-way to Wonder Lake is about 6 hours? or is it longer?

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Just to confirm, so one-way to Wonder Lake is about 6 hours? or is it longer?

If you are taking just the transit bus then yes you will be just over 6 hours.  The tour seemed longer out and shorter back but I could be wrong.  It has been a couple of years.

I asked my SO and she said be careful about the mosquitoes.  I didn't think about this because we went later in the season and they were mostly gone at that time.

As for Denali Park Village, I haven't stayed there, but at 2 for 1, it becomes affordable.

There are less expensive options out there, depends on what you're looking for.  There are cabins around Carlo Creek and Healy that are affordable and have a small fridge/microwave ie Aspen Haus.  Or Budget Queen always suggests the Denali Park Hotel as an affordable option.

2 hours ago, tigger_ag said:

If you are taking just the transit bus then yes you will be just over 6 hours.  The tour seemed longer out and shorter back but I could be wrong.  It has been a couple of years.

I asked my SO and she said be careful about the mosquitoes.  I didn't think about this because we went later in the season and they were mostly gone at that time.

Totally true about the mosquitoes.  We had to use our Australia trip mosquito nets - https://www.amazon.com/Warm-Sport-Mosquito-Repellent-Protection/dp/B06XDQPW79/ref=asc_df_B06XDQPW79/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=178103530791&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12092269384152347897&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028730&hvtargid=pla-304333471582&psc=1 - when we visited Wonder Lake.

DON

Updated with Lodging booked so far.

Friday Night.... Girdwood. AK (Alyeska Resort-1 night) (Wildlife Conservation Center, Williwaw viewing platforms)

Saturday Night.. Palmer, AK ( Knik Glacier Tours) (Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge - 1 night)

Sunday Night.. Denali National Park (Denali Park Hotel - 2  nights) 

Monday Night.. Denali National Park  (Eielson shuttle)

Wednesday Night.. Seward, AK (Train from Anchorage to Seward) (Shuttle to Exit Glacier. Visit the SeaLife Center) (Breeze Inn Motel - 2 nights)

Thursday Night...Seward, AK (Major Marines Kenai Fjords)

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

Lots of good info in this thread.  My group of 8 is trying to plan a post cruise trip in May 2020.  I am wondering if there is a difference in driving the highway up to Denali and back to Anchorage and taking the train.  Do you see the same scenery?

1 hour ago, Mckbeth212 said:

Lots of good info in this thread.  My group of 8 is trying to plan a post cruise trip in May 2020.  I am wondering if there is a difference in driving the highway up to Denali and back to Anchorage and taking the train.  Do you see the same scenery?

I  assume your cruise ends in either Seward or Whittier, if  I was you I would take the train from there to Anchorage and then rent a car in Anchorage, drive to Denali, this way you can stop along the way anywhere you want and when you want to stop, after Denali drive back and return the car in Anchorage and fly home from there.

Edited by Jimbo

2 hours ago, Mckbeth212 said:

Make sure you are hitting Denali after June 1st. Otherwise you won't get that far into the park.

2 hours ago, Mckbeth212 said:

I haven't ridden the train but have driven to Denali several times.   The tracks run parallel to the Parks hwy; you see the tracks frequently as you drive, so I imagine the scenery is the same. 

It's a scenic trip on a clear day when you can see all the mountain ranges ( even Denali is visible from Anchorage).  But on a cloudy day, you're just looking at a lot of bogs, small lakes and trees.

The most scenic route is the Seward leg.  The tracks run parallel but south of Portage, the tracks go inland and provide spectacular glacier views, which can't be seen from the car.

If you take the train TO Denali, you can save money by taking the bus on the return trip to Anchorage.  The bus is cheaper, quicker ( 5 hrs instead of 😎 and has 2 departures per day instead of 1.   alaskacoach.com

As Coral pointed out, the park road isn't fully open in may.  You can get to  Eielson Visitor Center after June 1, and I believe Wonder Lake June 10.   The Parks reservation page has the 2020 dates.   reservedenali.com

• 2 weeks later...

Still adding to the itinerary slowly but surely.... things are coming together.

Friday Night.... Girdwood. AK (Alyeska Resort-1 night) (Wildlife Conservation Center, Williwaw viewing platforms)

Saturday Night.. Palmer, AK ( Half Day Knik Glacier Tour) (Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge - 1 night)

Sunday Night.. Denali National Park (Denali Park Hotel - 2  nights) 

Monday Night.. Denali National Park  (Kantishna Air Taxi Excursion) (Fly-in at 12 noon from Denali Entrance to Kantishna and then Bus back from Mile 92 to Denali Park Entrance) Air and Bus tickets all included.

Wednesday Night.. Seward, AK (Train from Anchorage to Seward) (Shuttle to Exit Glacier. Visit the SeaLife Center) (Breeze Inn Motel - 2 nights)

Thursday Night...Seward, AK (6-Hour-Major Marines Kenai Fjords)

Rental Car from ANC airport, Pick-up..... Friday Afternoon  3pm.--------- Drop off Tuesday Night 7pm

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SightCRR said:

For your Palmer day see if you can squeeze in Matanuska glacier walk. You can thank me later. 

sightcrr

https://matanuskaglacieradventures.us/matanuska-glacier-access-and-self-guided-tours/

Sounds good, but just think we won't have enough time, leaving Girdwood(Alyeska Resort)mid morning after seeing a few things there and driving to Palmer for the excursion(Half day Knik Glacier Tour) that is from 2pm to 5pm.

After reading about your Glacier Walk excursion it says everyone has to be off the glacier by 6pm.

After our tour in Palmer that ends at 5pm we will be driving to Denali  for our 2 night stay at Denaili Park Hotel.

Only possible day we may be able to squeeze it in would be on Tuesday when we drive back to Anchorage from Denali Park in the morning.

Nice itinerary. Not too rushed yet you cover quite a bit. You've obviously put some time into this.

A couple of quick & easy sights you may find interesting.   You can  spend 5 minutes or 30 depending on your level of interest.

- there are gardens next to the Palmer Museum (used to be called the Experimental Gardens).  You'll find ginormous flowers and vegetables, like a 50lb cabbage).  The history of Palmer is quite interesting.

- about 20 miles north Anchorage  are the Eklutna Spirit Houses and Orthodox Church.  It's only 5 minutes off the hwy exit.  You can view the spirit houses from the parking lot, or pay $5 to wander thru the grounds and church.    http://www.eklutnahistoricalpark.org/     Maybe stop in on your return to Anchorage. 

Have a great trip !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Nice itinerary. Not too rushed yet you cover quite a bit. You've obviously put some time into this.

A couple of quick & easy sights you may find interesting.   You can  spend 5 minutes or 30 depending on your level of interest.

- there are gardens next to the Palmer Museum (used to be called the Experimental Gardens).  You'll find ginormous flowers and vegetables, like a 50lb cabbage).  The history of Palmer is quite interesting.

- about 20 miles north Anchorage  are the Eklutna Spirit Houses and Orthodox Church.  It's only 5 minutes off the hwy exit.  You can view the spirit houses from the parking lot, or pay $5 to wander thru the grounds and church.    http://www.eklutnahistoricalpark.org/     Maybe stop in on your return to Anchorage. 

Have a great trip !

Thanks!

Timewise and mileswise I think this is just about what we are looking at besides adding additional time to the below times for stops.

Friday        Day 1  Anchorage Airport to Alyeska Resort,Girdwood, AK   (41 miles  1 hour)

Saturday     Day 2 Girdwood, AK to  Knit Glacier Tours, Palmer, Ak         (88 miles   1 hour 45 minutes)
                   Palmer, AK to Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge, Trapper Creek, AK  (121 miles   2 hours  15 minutes)

Sunday        Day 3 Trapper Creek , AK to  Denali Park Hotel, Healy, AK (115 miles 1 hour and 55 minutes)

Monday        Day 4 Denali Park Hotel to Denali Vistors Center  (11 miles   15 minutes)

Tuesday        Day 5 Denali Park Hotel to Anchorage ( 250 miles    4 hours 30 minutes)

Turn Rental Car back in at Anchorage Airport at 7pm

Wednesday  Day 6   Anchorage Train to Seward, AK   ( ? miles   4 hours)
Edited by Jimbo