Early Itinerary Plan for DIY Land Tour Alaska

Jimbo

Okay tell me what needs tweaking? or what doesn't make logistic sense? Last week of July 2020

Arrival ANC Airport 2pm

Friday Night.... Girdwood. AK

Saturday Night.. Palmer, AK

Sunday Night...Talkeetna, AK

Monday Night.. Denali National Park

Tuesday Night.. Denali National Park

Wednesday  Night... Anchorage, AK

Thursday Night...Seward, AK

Friday, Board Ship in  Seward heading for Vancouver Southbound.

If we can only splurge on one lodge which one and why? Alyeska  Resort or  Talkeetna Alaska Lodge

Will explain later what are plans may be at each location. That might help you guide me better.

Edited by Jimbo

Find different place to stay Fri night. No sense driving one hr one direction then back next morning and doing it again on the way to ship. Lots to do around Palmer like glacier walk, Musk Ox etc. Skip Talkeetna unless flight seeing and do one more day nearer Denali. Only 1/3 of people see the mountain because of weather. Try to plan for 3 days. 

There is a lot to do in Seward, and I don't think an evening before boarding is enough time to see everything there, depending on how much you want to see. I personally really loved going to see Exit Glacier (there's a $15 shuttle from Seward, but it sounds like you might have a rental car, so you can also just drive there). The Sea Life center is pretty cool to see some native Alaskan marine creatures, and there are excellent tours that go to Kenai Fjords. 

I'm not sure what you plan to do in each location, but I strongly suggest finding a way to spend a little more time in Seward if possible. 

• Like 1

I think it would help to know your plans in order to understand how you came up with these overnight locations .

ie  are you're staying in Girdwood so that you have Fri evening and most of Sat to do stuff along the Turnagain Arm ?

It would be easy enough to drive from Girdwood to Talkeetna on Sat  so i don't understand the o/n in Palmer unless you're going to Matanuska Glacier or Independence Mine.  

So a little more info would be helpful.  Thx

Original plan was for 2 nights in Seward so we could do the  Major Marine 6hr tour  the second day we were there but after thinking more about it, it might be kind of a repeat what we did back in 2017 when we went on the  Adventure Bound in Juneau, that was a 12 hour tour.

The Girdwood(plus the drive to Girdwood should have some awesome senery) and Talkeetna stops would be for seeing the resorts plus a possible flight seeing tour in Talkeetna if I can talk my wife in to going on one. That is still up in the air for now.

Yes we are renting a car once we land in Anchorage and keeping it until we return to Anchorage with the plan to take the train ride one way to Seward the next morning after the car back on Wednesday Night. So even though we would be kind of back tracking, Girdwood is not that far from Anchorage. Rather spend that first day after we land in that area rather then Anchorage.

Palmer stop would be for going one of the  Knik Glacier Tours , another reason to skip the Major Marine tour in Seward since this one be something like it.

Denali stop would be the Dinner Theater the first night we are there and  the next day the Tundra Wilderness Tour 63 miles in.

Wednesday Afternoon drive back to Anchorage, return the car at 7pm.

First thing Thursday Morning board the train in Anchorage for Seward. We would have a half day to see what every we can, any suggestions what we could do for that half day and evening in Seward, keep in mind we will not have a car then.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm open  to anything.

Oh yeah forgot to mention we also have the Hubbard Glacier Tour(smaller boat to get up closer the glacier) booked through Royal Caribbean, another reason to possible skip the Kenai Fjords.

Edited by Jimbo

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Original plan was for 2 nights in Seward so we could do the  Major Marine 6hr tour  the second day we were there but after thinking more about it, it might be kind of a repeat what we did back in 2017 when we went on the  Adventure Bound in Juneau, that was a 12 hour tour.

The Girdwood(plus the drive to Girdwood should have some awesome senery) and Talkeetna stops would be for seeing the resorts plus a possible flight seeing tour in Talkeetna if I can talk my wife in to going on one. That is still up in the air for now.

Yes we are renting a car once we land in Anchorage and keeping it until we return to Anchorage with the plan to take the train ride one way to Seward the next morning after the car back on Wednesday Night. So even though we would be kind of back tracking, Girdwood is not that far from Anchorage. Rather spend that first day after we land in that area rather then Anchorage.

Palmer stop would be for going one of the  Knik Glacier Tours , another reason to skip the Major Marine tour in Seward since this one be something like it.

Denali stop would be the Dinner Theater the first night we are there and  the next day the Tundra Wilderness Tour 63 miles in.

Wednesday Afternoon drive back to Anchorage, return the car at 7pm.

First thing Thursday Morning board the train in Anchorage for Seward. We would have a half day to see what every we can, any suggestions what we could do for that half day and evening in Seward, keep in mind we will not have a car then.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm open  to anything.

Oh yeah forgot to mention we also have the Hubbard Glacier Tour(smaller boat to get up closer the glacier) booked through Royal Caribbean, another reason to possible skip the Kenai Fjords.

Major Marine tour is different than AdventureBound Alaska. It is different than Hubbard Glacier also. I would definitely do the tour in Seward.

Don't do the Tundra Tour. There are shuttles through the park service that are cheaper and go farther into the park.

Seward is worth spending a few nights in. 

I would skip the dinner theatre in Denali.

Ok, now I get it !  Thx for the details.  Your itinerary works well for what you want to see and do.

With daylight until 10pm it makes sense to drive to Girdwood and enjoy some sights along the Turnagain Arm.  (And since you're down in that area, you might as well visit the Wildlife Conservation Center;  many of their animals will be at Denali but not musk ox, wood bison, wolverine.  Oh yeah, since it's late July you could view the salmon run at the Williwaw viewing platforms.)

I agree with Coral ...  take the Eielson shuttle instead of the Tundra Tour.  You'll get further into the park for a third of the cost. Same road, same stops. The Visitor Center is a lovely destination with great views of the mtn if it's out, plus there are displays, rangers, trails, water fountains, flush toilets .   Since you have a car, you might want to consider driving to Savage Creek in the evening .... that paved section is popular for moose spotting. 

Don't be in a rush to board the ship in Seward, especially if you have good weather.   You probably don't have to board until 6pm so you really have a day and a half in town. (if you decide at the last minute to take a Kenai Fjords tour, you could do so either day; they're kinda timed to coincide with the train arriving and ships departing). Otherwise you could take the shuttle to Exit Glacier. visit the SeaLife Center.  I enjoy time at the harbor; it's a busy active harbor with charter boats coming and going constantly. Kinda cool to watch the fisherman come in to weigh and clean their catch. There's a paved path that follows the waterfront from the harbor to the downtown area by the SeaLife Center, about 1 1/2 miles.  As you walk, watch for bald eagles flying by, and otters playing off shore, and on a nice day great views of glaciers/mountains across the bay.  

Enjoy your trip ! 

p.s. Comfort Inn at Ship Creek is convenient for the taking that early train to Seward.  

I see Comfort Inn, where is the location to board the train?

Sound like Kenai Fjords is a must do now, different then what we did before so it seems we might have to cut out either Palmer or Talkeetna.................really don't want to get off Train and then right on to 6 hour boat tour. Rather do the boat tour in Kenai Fords the next day, meaning we need to revise schedule so we have 2 nights in Seward.

No one said what resort  is nicer, the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge or the Alyeska Resort. Which has better views, etc?

The depot is 411 West 1st Ave.  The Anchorage Grand is also closeby .... both within a 5 minute walk.  Both have been mentioned in past trip reports as convenient .... nothing fancy but clean and convenient.

My last several trips have been in a rental RV so I have no recent first hand experience with hotels. 

If you DO decide on the Kenai Fjords tour, I'd advise waiting on the weather .... if it's a nice clear day when you step off the train, take advantage of it and hop on whichever boat is available but if it's windy and cloudy, wait and see if it clears up the next day.   I've been weathered out twice on that tour. Both times the office said 'the captain will decide if conditions are ok to make the full tour, otherwise you will get the Bay tour and a partial refund'.   And both times we had a Bay Tour. It's ok; we saw bald eagles, a nest, lots of sealions, a few mountain goats, puffins, otters,  but it doesn't compare to being parked in front of a glacier and listening to it crack and finally break off an iceberg.

You chose the Knik Glacier for a reason.  Give it some thought before you change your plan.  I haven't done it, so I can't offer any advice there.  Hopefully someone will come along that can offer firsthand experience, but in the meantime do a search on ' knik'  in this forum only and see if there's any useful info.

Friday Night.... Girdwood. AK (Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge) (Wildlife Conservation Center, Williwaw viewing platforms)

Saturday Night.. Palmer, AK ( Knik Glacier Tours)

Sunday Night.. Denali National Park 

Monday Night.. Denali National Park  (Eielson shuttle)

Tuesday  Night... Anchorage, AK

Wednesday Night.. Seward, AK (Train from Anchorage to Seward) (Shuttle to Exit Glacier. Visit the SeaLife Center)

Thursday Night...Seward, AK (Major Marines Kenai Fjords)

Friday Night (Radiance of the Seas)

20 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Friday Night.... Girdwood. AK (Alyeska Resort ) (Wildlife Conservation Center, Williwaw viewing platforms)

Wednesday Night.. Seward, AK (Train from Anchorage to Seward) (Shuttle to Exit Glacier. Visit the SeaLife Center)

5 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

Alyeska Resort at Girdwood is a beautiful resort with amazing views of Turnagain Arm.  

Anyone know if there are any coupons in the  Toursaver book for the above resort?

Why are you going to waste time going to and staying in Talkeetna.  There is nothing there but a bunch of tacky souvenir shops and uninteresting stuff to do.  The only reason that I can see for going to Talkeetna is if you are planning to do a Denali flight as many of those flights go out of Talkeetna.  

DON

• Like 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Why are you going to waste time going to and staying in Talkeetna.  There is nothing there but a bunch of tacky souvenir shops and uninteresting stuff to do.  The only reason that I can see for going to Talkeetna is if you are planning to do a Denali flight as many of those flights go out of Talkeetna.  

DON

Latest Itinerary has us skipping Talkeetna

Friday Night.... Girdwood. AK (Alyeska Resort ) (Wildlife Conservation Center, Williwaw viewing platforms)

This is looking pretty good!

I can vouch for the Wildlife Conservation Center, Knik airboat ride (if this is what you mean -- it is NOTHING like Major Marine trip), Exit Glacier, SeaLife Center, and the Kenai Fjords boat trip. At Denali we took the park shuttle to the Eielson Visitor Center and then on to Wonder Lake. I highly recommend you stop the circuit at the VC and do the nature walk on the tundra/taiga there. The only unique wildlife we saw on the final leg was one swan, and the mosquitoes were so bad at Wonder Lake it was hard to walk in them! We had really liked the ranger-driver on the bus so we stayed with her on her schedule to the lake, but later wished we'd completed the nature trail instead. 

Also at Denali -- Get up to catch one of the earliest shuttles because that's when you're most likely to see the top of the Mountain. We were on the second shuttle of the day and saw the top only as we were approaching the nearest view, before the clouds moved in. But we were happy at that, having read that fewer than 50% of visitors do.

We were happy that we only had lunch in Talkeetna on the way from Palmer to Hwy 3. At the BrewPub.

2 hours ago, crystalspin said:

This is looking pretty good!

I can vouch for the Wildlife Conservation Center, Knik airboat ride (if this is what you mean -- it is NOTHING like Major Marine trip), Exit Glacier, SeaLife Center, and the Kenai Fjords boat trip. At Denali we took the park shuttle to the Eielson Visitor Center and then on to Wonder Lake. I highly recommend you stop the circuit at the VC and do the nature walk on the tundra/taiga there. The only unique wildlife we saw on the final leg was one swan, and the mosquitoes were so bad at Wonder Lake it was hard to walk in them! We had really liked the ranger-driver on the bus so we stayed with her on her schedule to the lake, but later wished we'd completed the nature trail instead. 

Also at Denali -- Get up to catch one of the earliest shuttles because that's when you're most likely to see the top of the Mountain. We were on the second shuttle of the day and saw the top only as we were approaching the nearest view, before the clouds moved in. But we were happy at that, having read that fewer than 50% of visitors do.

We were happy that we only had lunch in Talkeetna on the way from Palmer to Hwy 3. At the BrewPub.

Yes, Knit is the airboat ride, looks like a neat excursion. Different then others.

yes, I don't think we really want top do the shuttle all the way to Wonder Lake on this trip. Please tell me more where and how I just book the park shuttle to VC and where we have to go after arriving there where the nature walk on on the tundra/taiga is.  I assume once we get to the VC we then just take a bus back out of the park whenever we are readly to leave? Is that how it works? How many miles and how many hours to get to the VC ?

The shuttles are old school buses! Painted, not yellow. They run every so often I'll say every half-hour? Run by the NPS with a ranger as the driver. I don't think you can reserve ahead of time. When you get to the Eielson VC, YOUR bus is there for so long; at that point you have preferential boarding to continue with your same driver, on to Wonder Lake. The time at the VC is enough to at least breeze through the exhibits inside, OR maybe do the nature walk, but not both. 

If you go on to Wonder Lake the bus also takes some time there. My mom and I went for a walk (I think around a campground?) there, while my DH stayed in the bus! 

If you don't re-board the bus you came out on, for the rest of the loop, you basically get to queue to board the next bus with available seats when you are ready to go. I think fear of there not being seats for us was part of why we continued to Wonder Lake, but if you are on an early shuttle, the worst that could happen is waiting for another bus to come back by. They certainly do not leave anyone (without a camping or back-country permit!) in the park overnight.

I seem to remember signage over a door at the 'front' visitor center, the one near the park entrance -- saying it was the door for boarding the shuttle bus. Or certainly just ask any ranger there. At Eielson VC, the nature trail is obvious (there aren't any trees to hide it or anything). 

Our trip to the interior was in 2009. That included time spent in Seward, Palmer, and Healy (for Denali). The jaunt to see the Wildlife Conservation Center was not until 2018 and accomplished with a rental car from Anchorage proper.

Any other questions? Happy to help!

Edited by crystalspin

To correct a few errors in the above post:

- you CAN reserve the buses, both tour and transit.  As a matter of fact, it's highly recommended. ( on my first trip I didn't have reservations for the bus OR campground and had to wait 2 days for a seat and camp site! )

- the bus drivers are not rangers.  The drivers are employees of Doyon/aramark, which is the concessionaire for the buses and campgrounds. 

-  you can only continue to Wonder Lake from Eielson Visitor Center if you have a ticket for WL.  If you buy a ticket to EVC the driver has his/her break there; it's usually 30-45 minutes depending on how long the driver spent on wildlife sightings.  Then most people hop back on the same bus to return to the entrance .  On a clear day, some people will want to continue on to WL.  There is a bus dispatcher at EVC who can arrange that.  Obviously seating is limited so you may or may not be able to buy a seat. The best solution is to buy a ticket to WL and if the weather is lousy, you can either hang out at EVC until your WL bus returns, OR, ask the dispatcher to find you an earlier bus with availability.  Likewise, if you choose to spend more time at EVC ( to hike, do the noon walk with the rangers, view exhibits, etc) the dispatcher will assist with a later bus back to the entrance.

5 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

To correct a few errors in the above post:

- you CAN reserve the buses, both tour and transit.  As a matter of fact, it's highly recommended. ( on my first trip I didn't have reservations for the bus OR campground and had to wait 2 days for a seat and camp site! )

- the bus drivers are not rangers.  The drivers are employees of Doyon/aramark, which is the concessionaire for the buses and campgrounds. 

-  you can only continue to Wonder Lake from Eielson Visitor Center if you have a ticket for WL.  If you buy a ticket to EVC the driver has his/her break there; it's usually 30-45 minutes depending on how long the driver spent on wildlife sightings.  Then most people hop back on the same bus to return to the entrance .  On a clear day, some people will want to continue on to WL.  There is a bus dispatcher at EVC who can arrange that.  Obviously seating is limited so you may or may not be able to buy a seat. The best solution is to buy a ticket to WL and if the weather is lousy, you can either hang out at EVC until your WL bus returns, OR, ask the dispatcher to find you an earlier bus with availability.  Likewise, if you choose to spend more time at EVC ( to hike, do the noon walk with the rangers, view exhibits, etc) the dispatcher will assist with a later bus back to the entrance.

Okay , then is sound like we can just buy a ticket for EVC, go to there walk around for 30 to 45 minutes and return on the same bus...............So this tour is about 6 hours total correct and if we were to go all the way to Wonderlake, the tour turns into a 12 hour total tour, is that correct?

The EVC shuttle is usually an 8hr RT,  including the lunch break.  It can run longer if there are lots of wildlife sightings, or wildlife activity to watch.

ie  board the bus at 8:am, arrive EVC at noon, 30-40 minute break, then a little over 3 hrs for the return trip.

The return trip is quicker because most people sleep all the way back.  Since passengers are the 'wildlife spotters' , and they're asleep,  there are fewer stops.

https://www.reservedenali.com/tours-transits/transits/eielson-visitor-center/

According to the Reservation site, the WL shuttle is 11hrs. 

I've booked the WL shuttle a couple of times in hopes that it's a clear day , but I've always had rain so I get off at EVC.  Since it's just me and maybe a companion, I've never had a problem keeping my seat.   

Jimbo:  Since you know when you will be in Denali just purchase the shuttle tickets from the Denali National Park website.  Go to "plan your trip" (or something like that) for the link which takes you to the Aramark (which is the shuttle concessionaire) link.  While I think that folks who don't go into the park as far as Eielson Visitor's Center shortchange themselves, I personally don't find it interesting or necessary to go in as far as Wonder Lake.  But I live in Alaska and this scenery isn't as unique for us.

The NPS and their concessionaire have the shuttle system well under control.  If you wish to spend more time at EVC and take another shuttle out, then you will talk to the shuttle dispatcher.  The shuttle drivers usually tell you where to find this person, but it is generally obvious as they are walking around with a clipboard.  The system is designed to ensure that there will be available spaces for folks who want to take a different bus out or who flag down a bus along the road.  

When in the park you will report to the Denali Bus Depot to board your shuttle.  In the past this building was named the Wilderness Access Center, but the name changed a year or so ago.  Same building, same purpose.  This is what "crystalspin" refers to as the "front" visitor's center, and is  located about half a mile into the park.  Don't confuse this building with the Denali Visitor's Center, which is located about 1.5 miles into the park.  

The Denali Visitor's Center has interpretive exhibits, and is worth visiting.  The DVC campus also includes a book store and the Morino Grill.  The Eielson Visitors Center is located about 65 miles into the park.

Another option for Denali would be to hop off the bus, do some exploring and hop on the next bus with seats.  We got off at the East Fork of the Toklat River and walked down to the Artist in Residence cabin. Watched him paint the Denali landscape for a short time and then went walking out along the road. Makes for a longer day but it adds a bit rather than just sitting on the bus to EVC or further.